Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Alternative/Private School Website

21 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

THIS HAS BEEN MOVED FROM THE WINTON WOODS TOPIC "VERY EXCITING NEWS"

I think at this point parents simply need options and alternatives. Once again parents are "in pain" and are being placed in a position where they have to decide; do we go private, does mom have to go back to work, do we leave Greenhills, what if our house doesn't sell, do we rent, do we become landlords, do I want my kid to go to a Catholic school, can we afford it?... It's pretty apparent that the district will not deviate from their current agenda (whatever that is) and they will not initiate positive change within the school district.

I think it's time for residents of Greenhills to pull together, develop a "private/resident owned" website that highlights the wonderful village we have and sell it as a community with "affordable housing where you can send your kids to private education". Enough is enough already. I'm going to list out the following options and alternatives, if you guys can fill in the blanks that would be great, especially alternatives that are christian schools, non-catholic and/or montessori/specialty schools. I know of several, but I don't know the official names of these schools, so if you can help that would be great:

Pre-School

Greenhills Co-op

Forest Chapel

K-8

St. James of the Valley

John Paul II

St. Gabe's

St. Vivian's

Bethany

K-12

Cincinnati Christian

Central Baptist Academy

Cincinnati School of Performing Arts

The Schilling School for Gifted Children

2-12

Leaves of Learning

PreK-6

Central Montessori Academy

PreK-12

Miami Valley Christian Academy

St. Rita School for the Deaf

7-12

Walnut Hills

High School

Roger Bacon (co-ed)

Moeller (boys)

McCauley (girls)

LaSalle (boys)

St. Ursuline (girls)

St. Xavier (boys)

Mount Notre Dame (girls)

Home Schooling

All Saints

OHVA

Public Alternatives

Open Enrollment Reading School District

Here is another option should the WWCSD eliminate sports. This is from the OHSAA (Ohio High School Athletic Association):

EXCEPTION 11 — If, and only if, a school district ceases to sponsor its interscholastic athletic program, a student may transfer to any other school and continue his/her eligibility provided the following conditions are met:

1) The student had participated on the school sponsored team in the canceled sport during the entire previous sport season for that sport; and

2) The transfer occurs at the beginning of the new school year (defined as the first day of school or when the student participates in the first contest for the school prior to the beginning of the school year) or, at the beginning of the next grading period following the school’s decision to cancel its sponsorship of its interscholastic athletic program; and

3) For a period of one year from the date of transfer, the student may only participate in that sport(s) in which the student had participated in the previous school year; and

4) Evidence that all of the conditions for eligibility are submitted to the office of the Commissioner, which, upon review, may rule the student eligible. No student transferring under this provision shall be eligible until declared so by the Commissioner’s office. In addition to the preceding conditions having been met, the following limitation shall apply: Any student transferring eligibility pursuant to this exception will not be able to take advantage of exception 6 (transfer into residential district) of this Bylaw at any time after the transfer becomes effective.

www.OHSAA.org

I'm not going to watch my neighbors and friends move out of this village again. This is unacceptable and frankly it's getting ridiculous. I'm not willing to forego Greenhills because of the school district. Are you?

Posted · Report post

Can anyone recommend the best host for a website? Quick, easy, low cost, low maintenance. I've used Homestead before, but I'm not convinced it's one of the better ones.

Posted · Report post

Leaves of Learning is a great school which has open enrollment -2-12

and

Schilling Gifted is another school that is an option for Greenhills citizens

Posted · Report post

Thanks, I updated both.

Posted · Report post

Can anyone recommend the best host for a website?  Quick, easy, low cost, low maintenance.  I've used Homestead before, but I'm not convinced it's one of the better ones.

www.redpin.com is great

http://www.redpin.com/

I have used them for several sites and have been very happy.

Posted · Report post

Clark Montessori Junior High and High School is another option - it is public, but is an available alternative worth highlighting for those interested in Montessori education. Many of the students going there come from private grade school Montessori programs throughout the area. The school serves grades 7-12.

Posted · Report post

What is Clark's tuition for out of district students?

Posted · Report post

Sorry, I don't know what the tuition is. I've got a meeting later this week with some people who will probably know, so I'll try to remember to ask.

Another school for the list is Terry's Montessori School in Wyoming. I don't know much about them but have heard generally positive comments.

Posted · Report post

Thanks. Just want it for reference.

Posted · Report post

7-12

Walnut Hills

Just an FYI...Walnut Hills is not a private school...it is part of the Cincinnati Public School District.

SCPA is also part of CPS (although it is a magnet school)

Posted · Report post

I'm not going to watch my neighbors and friends move out of this village again. This is unacceptable and frankly it's getting ridiculous. I'm not willing to forego Greenhills because of the school district. Are you?

but you will lead the charge to defeat the levy. This is like drilling holes in the bottom of the boat, but refusing to watch people abandon the ship.

Posted · Report post

but you will lead the charge to defeat the levy. This is like drilling holes in the bottom of the boat, but refusing to watch people abandon the ship.

I have never led a charge to defeat a levy, I never would. My opinion is mine and it just happens to be the opinion of many in Greenhills, Forest Park and Springfield Township. To be honest, no one has to lead a charge against the school levy. And believe me, if I ever did lead a charge, you would know it.

Posted · Report post

The only people who can help the school district is the Board. They choose not to and you won't hold them accountable. That's the problem.

HOLD THE DISTRICT ACCOUNTABLE, VOTE NO ON THE LEVY

does this look familiar?

I guess after the people move in fear of the collapsing property values, that's when these failed levies will make this a better community.

Posted · Report post

The only people who can help the school district is the Board. They choose not to and you won't hold them accountable. That's the problem.

HOLD THE DISTRICT ACCOUNTABLE, VOTE NO ON THE LEVY

does this look familiar?

I guess after the people move in fear of the collapsing property values, that's when these failed levies will make this a better community.

So that's the big anti-levy charge you are refering to? A well thought out plan of attack, on my part, I must say. I bet you can't wait for Phase II of my sinister anti-levy campaign, "The Follow-Up Sentence" in November. blink.gif

Posted · Report post

How about, 'Hold the Board accountable. Elect new members to the board?'

Don't make the students and parents pay for your dissatisfaction with the board. Vote them out if you so desire. That's the democratic process, not $2 million in cuts.

If you change the board and like their ideas, when will they get the money for new initiatives? Two years? Three years? Is that really constructive?

Posted · Report post

Christine,

I have to agree with Vader. You have led the debate against the school district for a couple of years both on this board and out in the community. I agree that the school district has some issues, but so do many other school districts in this state - due to the way that they are being funded ie property taxes - which were declared unconstitutional 3 years ago, yet we are still paying into it and the taxes are still being fumbled by the state.

Additionally, the school districts other issues lie much deeper than the fiscally superficial. Yet those issues can't be delt with because they involve parent responsibility. NO ONE has been able/willing to address that yet! Not even the current administration (Obama's crew) will touch that with a ten foot pole, even though he addresses it here in Cincinnati during his campaign.

If you choose not to support public education, then that's your opinion, but don't deny it when you're called on the carpet about it.

Posted · Report post

If you choose not to support public education, then that's your opinion, but don't deny it when you're called on the carpet about it.

I will always support public education, I do it right now through my taxes and I have no issues with it. However, I won't support decisions that have serious consequences and when those consequences come to light they choose to place blame on the voters and state, instead of holding themselves responsible and accountable.

As for being "called on the carpet", my issue with Vader's statement is "but you will lead the charge to defeat the levy" and the "charge" is based on "HOLD THE DISTRICT ACCOUNTABLE, VOTE NO ON THE LEVY", "Hold the Board accountable. Elect new members to the board" and opinions posted on a local website. Just a bit of a stretch on "leading a charge" wouldn't you say? The only people who have led any "charge" is the Levy Committee and I recognize the effort that went into that process.

So, go ahead and blame the voters, the economy, the state, the elderly, the private school people, or just place all the blame on me, that's fine too. Bottomline, the district "is what it is" because of decision making. All decisions have advantages and disadvantages, pros and cons. It's the responsibility of the "decision makers" to acknowledge, review and have a clear understanding of the potential impacts with regards to these advantages and disadvantages. My belief is that over the years the Board has underplayed, and/or disregarded, the disadvantages. Now, they don't like the results and they choose to play the blame game instead of looking "deep within". And in the process, instead of looking at the loss of activities as an "obstacle to rise above" and "an opportunity to develop community" within each school, they're going to make sure every parent and student feels the pain, so it can be used as a "bargaining chip" for the November levy.

So now we're back to another game of poker.

Posted · Report post

Just an FYI...Walnut Hills is not a private school...it is part of the Cincinnati Public School District.

SCPA is also part of CPS (although it is a magnet school)

While these are both part of the CPS district, and since Greenhills is not, there would be tuition associated with attending.

Posted · Report post

While these are both part of the CPS district, and since Greenhills is not, there would be tuition associated with attending.

Thanks for the update. The same concept of "pay to attend" applies to the School of Performing Arts in Over the Rhine. I know that a few Greenhills kids now attend Walnut Hills, so it's worthwhile to include this information.

Posted · Report post

Here we go... The mantra of government. Not passing a levy for more money = the electorate cutting the budget.

Did you know that when you don't get a raise at work you can tell your boss that he just gave you a pay cut?

Note... This comment does not in any way reflect one way or the other how I vote on this levy.