HOME SCHOOL?

28 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

IF YOU HOME SCHOOL YER KIDS YOU BETTER WERK RXTRA HARD TO GET THEM OUT INTO THE REAL WORLD TO MAKE'EM WELL ADJUSTED...MET A FAMILY LAST WEEK WIT 2 OF'EM...AFTER BEING AROUND THEM FOR 2 HOURS...SOCIAL RETARDS!!

Posted · Report post

I think your statement is rather unfair. People choose how their children are to be educated in a variety of ways that are as legitimate as any other. I've seen some homeschooled do absolutely great. These parents are usually educators or former educators or other professionals with the appropriate depth and breadth of experience and education to give their kids a well rounded education. And TIME, of course. I've also seen what you are apparently describing; kids with who end up being out of the school system for a year and are forced to return because parents can't handle it or are very poorly organized. That can be worse than if they left their kids in the tradtional school.

My own feeling is that there aren't many of us who can combine every discipline that kids need to get the 'well-rounded' education required today.

And I do feel that socialization is a big part of the educational process, for good or ill. Kids have to socialize in order to get along in the world as adults. There is no way to measure that on a report card, however.

So, I don't dismiss homeschool out of hand. I just hope parents do it for the right reasons, not because of misperceptions about the traditional school, public or private.

Posted · Report post

IF YOU HOME SCHOOL YER KIDS YOU BETTER WERK RXTRA HARD TO GET THEM OUT INTO THE REAL WORLD TO MAKE'EM WELL ADJUSTED...MET A FAMILY LAST WEEK WIT 2 OF'EM...AFTER BEING AROUND THEM FOR 2 HOURS...SOCIAL RETARDS!!

Maybe they just didn't like you. Kids can be pretty perceptive.

Posted · Report post

Yeah, maybe they objected to your yelling all the time.

Your shift button.... use it !

Posted · Report post

Often gets that get home-school, started in the public system initially. Because they had trouble adjusting socially many end up being pulled to be home school. Chance are they may have been a little social out of place to begin with.

Posted · Report post

Ive said it before and will mention it again. Please refrain from the "R" word. It is very offensive.

Posted · Report post

Not all home schooled kids are socially screwed up. Everyone has their reasons. I can say is this and then I am out of it.

Hope who will be 13 in Aug. has been home schooled since Oct. And she came bouncing back to All A's. Yes she misses her friends but all summer she has had somewhere to go and someone to play with.

Faith who will be 12 in Aug. is a born social butterfly and was thrilled with coming home so she could actually have a challenge.

Neither of my daughters got pulled because they were awkward. And in "School" faith had all A's and one B and neither has ever been in trouble. It is personal choice.

My 7 year old son is still in a brick and mortar school.

So I play both fields.

IT ALL DEPENDS ON THE CHILD AND THE BEST INTREST

Oh and let me add my HUSBAND is in COLLEGE... ALL FROM HOME. Does that make him socially screwed up to? ph34r.gif

Posted · Report post

Ok so what is your excuess for "YER" grammer and spelling. Did "Yer" parents bother putting you in school? blink.gif

Posted · Report post

If I had it all to do over again, I would Home School all my children through 6 grade or maybe 8. My daughter plans to. I used to proctor the home school SAT test each spring. These were the most respectful, mature kids I've ever had to work with. There are plenty of social activities , sports, and community groups for them to take part in. They have more time to be involved in extra curriculars, and they score much higher on acedemic tests.

Posted · Report post

I would never consider home schooling my kids - mainly because I don't think I have the patience for it. There are children across the street from us that are home schooled. They are the nicest, most well behaved children I think I have ever met! And they are very social. They are involved in sports and groups. I think it's all about what the parents are willing to put into it.

Posted · Report post

i have a friend who, in a joint effort with an ex-montessori teacher, is homeschooling her daughter and the teacher's daughter. even though they are preschool age now, they are involved in a multitude of activities from gymnastics classes to guided zoo tours. the only point that they differ on is the teaching of evolution vs. creationism. how they will work that one out, i do not know!

i'm with you, though, husmanta. i don't have the patience for it. my boy attended the greenhills co-op last year and i watched him thrive there, so i know that, at least for now, he is in good hands.

there are some kids around here that are home-schooled and they are lovely, as are their parents. when my sean went missing a few months ago, those kids were up and down the street on their bikes looking for him immediately and their dad walked into yards and behind houses trying to help us. to me, they are wonderful!

Posted · Report post

think I've mentioned this before that, when I was docenting at the Freedom Center we all dreaded the home school groups. home schooled kids were the only ones I would refuse to tour. those that were respectful were eddie haskell's.

Posted · Report post

I wonder who these "eddie haskell" home schoolers are. I look forward to home schoolers! In general, I find the groups polite, attentive, smart and as socially adjusted as any group the same age. I put them with groups from private schools without the sense of entitlement (especially with the 9-12 crowd). I have never met an eddie haskle. I have met several dennis mitchells though. But they were part of the public school groups. biggrin.gif

Those that think that home schoolers are "shut ins" and never get to interact with others even when "in class" don't know what they are talking about.

Posted · Report post

Tink0003 Posted on Jul 27 2009, 11:20 PM

QUOTE (SOLOLUCKY @ Jul 24 2009, 08:58 AM)

Ok so what is your excuess for "YER" grammer and spelling. Did "Yer" parents bother putting you in school? 

I chuckle in your general direction.

Posted · Report post

I chuckle in your general direction.

i just found the comment funny biggrin.gif

Posted · Report post

I wonder who these "eddie haskell" home schoolers are. I look forward to home schoolers! In general, I find the groups polite, attentive, smart and as socially adjusted as any group the same age. I put them with groups from private schools without the sense of entitlement (especially with the 9-12 crowd). I have never met an eddie haskle. I have met several dennis mitchells though. But they were part of the public school groups. biggrin.gif

Those that think that home schoolers are "shut ins" and never get to interact with others even when "in class" don't know what they are talking about.

All I can tell you is how they respond in a "field trip" situation. I initially toured a couple of groups and, as I said, they are the only the group which I later refused to tour.

Posted · Report post

I have attended many home-school field trips, and the tour guides have always exclaimed how much they enjoyed the children and how well behaved they were. That is problably because all the parents attend as well.

Posted · Report post

I don't know what to tell you. Maybe the Freedom Center brings out the worst in them. And, all the parents did attend. They were almost as bad as the kids.

Posted · Report post

Sololucky & Go Bucks appear to thrive on painting people and school systems with a broad brush.

Guess what, guys. There are kids in public schools who function in an all around supportive environment (and I'm not talking just at school) that encourages excellence, and who you'd be proud to call your own

There are also homeschooled kids in that same type of environment who you'd be proud to call your own.

There are kids in private schools....ditto.

There are also homeschool kids, kids attending public schools, and kids in private schools who are capable of giving you the kind of day that resulted in your posting such drivel. Get a grip!

As Niel Young once sang: "I wonder what it's like to be so far over my head?"

Posted · Report post

Sololucky & Go Bucks apper to thrive on painting people and school systems with a broad brush.

Guess what, guys. There are kids in public schools who function in an all around supportive environment (and I'm not talking just at school) that encourages excellence, and who you'd be proud to call your own

There are also homeschooled kids in that same type of environment who you'd be proud to call your own.

There are kids in private schools....ditto.

There are also homeschool kids, kids attending public schools, and kids in private schools who are capable of giving you the kind of day that resulted in your posting such drivel. Get a grip!

As Niel Young once sang: "I wonder what it's like to be so far over my head?"

Thanks, Teacher Man, you said exactly what I was thinking!

Kids are kids and will behave how they've been taught or allowed to behave. I don't think its a good idea at all to generalize with kids because they are all unique and deserve a chance.

I've always said that each group(class) of kids has its own dynamic and that can be good or bad depending how the dynamic works out.

Posted · Report post

that is what our goverment wants you to believe! make fun of those who are different. i say keep your kids out of the public and catholic school systems at any cost.

Andi think you sound like A SOCIAL RETARD!!

AND WHY ARE YOU YELLING AT US?

here is a quick test to see if you are a TARD

look in the mirror and say these words out loud

it's old but it works

eye

ham

we

todd

did

then say

eye

ham

sofa

king

we

todd

did

if you dont get it say it again untill you do. sometime recording it and playing it back will help you?

Posted · Report post

Busybody, the last thing Home School families need is you as their spokes person.

Posted · Report post

Busybody, the last thing Home School families need is you as their spokes person.

truly. bb, you have just left one of the most insulting posts i have ever seen and i hope, for your sake, bobalu doesn't read it. she will be sorely, and rightly, po'ed!

Posted · Report post

ditto.

Posted · Report post

Quit picking on BB, he has to feel smarter than somebody ! laugh.gif

Here's the real test :

Look in the mirror,

if you look like Cap'n Crunch,

You're a tard.