Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

State Report Cards Published Today

166 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

My recommendation is to not spread rumors.

Posted · Report post

which is what i want to know...the truth!

Posted · Report post

The TRUTH right now is that nothing is going on.

Christine's comments are irresponsible without supporting evidence.

It is also irresponsible for us to perpetuate this rumor by commenting on it.

Posted · Report post

The TRUTH right now is that nothing is going on.

It is also irresponsible for us to perpetuate this rumor by commenting on it.

sad.gif I'll provide what I know as possible supporting evidence. Two school sponsored extra-cirricular groups/clubs at WWMS were offered a local facility at no cost to parents or the district to relocate their activities to said facility. Both are successful WW programs that are seen as "feeders" into either advanced math & science courses or the upper echelon of the music program. Both "sponsors" were initially thrilled with the opportunity, but in at least one of the cases were "advised" by either their department head or their administratior that there were concerns about doing that. This information came directly from the group "sponsor", so that part is not rumor.

What is unknown is the motivation for it being discouraged. It could be a safety/trasportation or legal factor regarding liability for a school event hosted off of school property. Or it could be something else. That's where the rumors start. It would probably be a good idea to address this as it is apparently going to now be an issue as those of us involved in the November campaign will be asked about it.

Posted · Report post

Actually, there is a plan that will implemented WHEN the levy passes. And it will be available if it loses. The plan will operate in either outcome. I am sure NOS can offer some insight, as he is part of the group behind the effort.

I am not going to advocate planning for failure.

Posted · Report post

I can live with that explanation.

Posted · Report post

Relative to NOS post, there are two issues that need to be considered.

1) The "WHERE" K-8 facilities are not available after school hours. Why? Because it cost money to hire a custodian to open and close the building and clean up after the group for the next day's class. The building must be supervised.

2) "WHO" and I think this is what is not being considered. IF there is a supplemental teacher contract for an extracurricular group, then it's not going to happen, unless the instructor and students are involved on their own time. The supplemental contracts for K-8 extracurriculars were cut with the loss of the August levy.

Posted · Report post

sad.gif I'll provide what I know as possible supporting evidence. Two school sponsored extra-cirricular groups/clubs at WWMS were offered a local facility at no cost to parents or the district to relocate their activities to said facility. Both are successful WW programs that are seen as "feeders" into either advanced math & science courses or the upper echelon of the music program. Both "sponsors" were initially thrilled with the opportunity, but in at least one of the cases were "advised" by either their department head or their administratior that there were concerns about doing that. This information came directly from the group "sponsor", so that part is not rumor.

What is unknown is the motivation for it being discouraged. It could be a safety/trasportation or legal factor regarding liability for a school event hosted off of school property. Or it could be something else. That's where the rumors start. It would probably be a good idea to address this as it is apparently going to now be an issue as those of us involved in the November campaign will be asked about it.

smile.gif An update in the last few minutes..straight from the source!

The two proposed WWMS extra-cirricular programs referred to WILL be continuing at the local facility as hoped for! The delay was simply due-diligence by the departments and the administration to make sure that all issues regarding insurance requirements and such were addressed. That is what I was hoping to hear, and that's good news for all of us.

Having back-up plans is a good thing, but it doesn't replace the need for us to pass this levy. Just like almost a year ago here in Greenhills where having a generator kept things afloat but we were all pretty darn happy when the real power came back up.

Thanks to WWCS for empowering the MS to pursue and seek out "emergency" help!

Posted · Report post

I've also seen WW finest at the shopping center after school lets out.  If I have to go up there in the afternoon, I try to hold my ears from all the profanity, and not look around to see the kind of disrespectful youth that populate our village every afternoon, and make everyone uncomfortable.  It's everywhere--it's about parents and parenting.  Until all schools can hold parents accountable, things will never change.

My son was walking past the middle school as they let out, just yesterday. He told me the language ,and conversations, by the students was just horrible, and he didn't want to repeat it. It made him uncomfortable and sad. Is their nothing the school can do to address this problem?

Equalizer, your post was very good. But I must say, when CCS play sports with the public schools, the swearing seemed to go unaddressed by their coaches. My son also played 5 years on the Indian Springs Rugby team. Some coaches were very strict about swearing as it goes against the ideals of the sport. The movie last year "Forever Strong" depicts the importance of values of team members.

Posted · Report post

My son was walking past the middle school as they let out, just yesterday. He told me the language ,and coversations, by the students was just horrible, and he didn't want to repeat it. It made him uncomfortable and sad. Is their nothing the school can do to adress this problem?

cool.gif I was outside of Fairfield Middle School last spring helping out a friend with picking his kids up and heard the same type of conversation. This is more of an issue with society than it is a Winton Woods issue.

I can 100% say that when the concern was raised at WWHS by parents hearing & observing it last year, Dr. Holden and staff kicked butt, took names and cleaned up the issue quickly and effectively.

Posted · Report post

Having back-up plans is a good thing, but it doesn't replace the need for us to pass this levy.

Agreed. We appreciate the help from Messiah Lutheran and also their effort to pull together many different entities into a District wide effort that will expand efforts for youth beyond the question of the levy.

Posted · Report post

I didn't mean I was concerned for my son's sake, or others who happen to hear this. I am concerned that these children just don't understand how much this language will hurt them in society. I am just wondering if this could be addressed in one of their regular classes? Maybe language arts, or even health and P.E.

Posted · Report post

No they're not, you just don't want to hear it. This entire site is built on heresay and opinions. The "heresay" just happens to be on a topic that you're passionate about.

Personally, on four separate occassions this has been a topic of conversation. Frankly, I just listened through most of it. Greenhills is a small place. You can either disregard what's being said, or you can put it out there. Everyone knows who participates on this board, and past experience shows that you'll get your answers on Junedale, in lieu of any other method. I personally was not looking for answers because I believe I have a pretty good grasp on how the "higher-ups" would react to such an effort, prior to a levy.

From my perspective, it's good to hear that alternatives are being reviewed. Although I'm a little blink.gif at Warrior's comment " I am not going to advocate planning for failure". The intent of planning is to avoid failure. However, I would like to hear more on what the Lutheran Church is doing.

Posted · Report post

This ENTIRE site is built on hearsay and opinions? Really? No facts or evidence? Do you really believe that are you just 'stating an opinion?'

No, there are plenty of facts and some good analysis by many in our community and on this site. Just because they disagree with you doesn't mean they're wrong. You just choose not to believe them.

I believe if you just 'put it out there' you are perpetuating gossip and I believe gossip to be worse than the alleged cursing done by students leaving school. Gossip is worse because it is far more insidious and hurtful. Gossip is subtle and deceiving. It is deceiving because it creates doubt and once doubt sets in a whole hatful of facts can't undo its damage.

I would rather 'disregard' a comment than indulge in gossip or hearsay. There are reasons why hearsay is prohibited in court.

Posted · Report post

Do you really believe that are you just 'stating an opinion?'

No, I believe I'm stating what people are talking about. And apparently there's some validity to it.

There are reasons why hearsay is prohibited in court.

Good thing we're not in court then.

Posted · Report post

ThreeHats, are you married to Equalizer?

Posted · Report post

good post, equalizer.

You know, every now and then I hit a double on here =) Thank you.

Posted · Report post

cool.gif I was outside of Fairfield Middle School last spring helping out a friend with picking his kids up and heard the same type of conversation. This is more of an issue with society than it is a Winton Woods issue.

I can 100% say that when the concern was raised at WWHS by parents hearing & observing it last year, Dr. Holden and staff kicked butt, took names and cleaned up the issue quickly and effectively.

Yes, yes, let's not understimate the role of the staff here.

Posted · Report post

i absolutely want to know if that is true...that the middle school faculty was willing to ensure that the students would have access to extracurricular activities and that idea was shot down. that is a distressing thought, to say the least.

It's true!!!!

It was called the school levy.

Posted · Report post

It's true!!!!

It was called the school levy.

TeacherMan - I'm on your side but let's not get snarky. Going from zero to 60 and eliminating before raising pay to play pissed off a lot of us. Those attached with the district in this and other threads had better start adjusting their attitudes as the last thing we need is to look chippy.

Posted · Report post

TeacherMan - I'm on your side but let's not get snarky. Going from zero to 60 and eliminating before raising pay to play pissed off a lot of us. Those attached with the district in this and other threads had better start adjusting their attitudes as the last thing we need is to look chippy.

Curtis,

I haven't been "attached with the district" since 1992 - just an interested onlooker deeply connected to its past. Is snarky an attitude copped by a snake/shark hybrid? Actually, I was going for snappy, as in a snappy retort. wink.gif

My point was that I find it ludicrous that people won't get out and vote; won't support the schools; and then get upset when STAFF is somehow expected to fill the void created by inability to fund - then Christine rambles on about what a wonderful experience this "volunteer bailout" would have been for everyone involved. In addition to being one of the most vocal non-supporters (and that's certainly her right), I found it laughable that she now wants to reduce the totality of the MS extracurricular program (Transportation, schedules, liability, officials, facility maintenance, etc., etc, etc) and what has happened to it with a Mickey Rooney, " I've got an idea; let's put on a show in the barn!" solution that amounts to little but the opportunity to take another snarky shot at the board.

By the way, how many tries did it take to go from zero to sixty?

Posted · Report post

Yeah, working for you want, or need, would really suck. There is zero value in that experience. blink.gif

Posted · Report post

Actually, it's being in the position to have to cut back to what you need and eliminate what you want that is often difficult; but that's where the board is right now.

Posted · Report post

Actually, it's being in the position to have to cut back to what you need and eliminate what you want that is often difficult; but that's where the board is right now.

This levy could easily pass. The levies could easily pass for the next 20 years. They could have all the money they want. However, they would need to reorganize in a way that the communities would buy into. But, they don't want to do that. Therefore, instead of putting the onus on themselves, they choose to blame the taxpayers who are not being heard.

Posted · Report post

This levy could easily pass. The levies could easily pass for the next 20 years. They could have all the money they want. However, they would need to reorganize in a way that the communities would buy into. But, they don't want to do that. Therefore, instead of putting the onus on themselves, they choose to blame the taxpayers who are not being heard.

Lets see, that has to be the 100th time you've typed the same thing. Maybe if you do it ONE more time, things will change and all of a sudden you'll have a K-8 right out your front window with only kids from Greenhills attending.

And, no, they wouldn't pass for the next 20 years if the Board followed your model. I highly doubt that FP wants to pay 1000's of dollars a year in extra taxes so that Christine can have a school right in her neighborhood that her kids won't even go to. That's all you concentrate on is what you want for your neighborhood, which is fine and all you should care about, however; there is another HUGE community involved that probably doesn't give a hoot about what Christine McD wants nor are they willing to pay for it. I mean honestly, why would FP want to pay for GH to have their own schools? Have you ever stopped to think about the other side of the coin? Your ideas are good for Greenhills if we go with a pie in the sky theory. But, there is NOT the money (or anywhere NEAR the amount of money now that we are in such dire straits financially) to even possibly implement what you are suggesting. And again, why in the world would thousand of voters from FP be willing to fork out what it would take so that you are happy? Seriously, what kind of millage would be needed to do your plan? I've never seen any numbers from you. We can all say what we would like. I might like a bigger, newer home, a new car, a fancy vacation, etc. But, if I dont' have the money to fund it, it's not going to happen. And I certainly don't think my neighbor up the road should go belly up to give me my dreams. Since you and the other anti's want this so bad, why don't you all get together and do some major fundraising? Come up with the money to do it, and sustain it.