Start over

530 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Don't tell me that "off the clock work" is expected of all professionals.  It is NOT.

Where I work, it is. 'Casual overtime' is an expectation. If you work 40 hours per week, your chances of advancement are greatly reduced. I work a reduced schedule (30 hours/week) and regularly work ~40 hours/week. This may not be the case with all professionals, but with all the companies I've been exposed to (granted it's only a handful), a 40 hour work week equates to a 50-60 hour work week.

If I worked on a Saturday (as an Engineer), they gave me the following Friday off.

You are making me think I need to search for a new job!

At AK, bonuses of 40% for managers were common.  ($40,000 bonus!!) 

Damn it! I need a new job!!!

Teachers also donate a good bit of money to equip their classroom.  One teacher at the HS donated $2,500 of his own money for graphing calculators.

This I agree with. My best friend is a teacher, and I have seen her time and again spend her own money so that her students would have the supplies they need. I don't think what she does is unique.

Posted · Report post

Many people on this board work at a local insurance company up the road where you are expected to work on Saturdays without compensation. I'm certain they're all rolling their eyes at EQ's post. Again, I use to be a teacher. It's a tough, rewarding job. Would it be great if they got paid more? Sure. But the fact is, it was, and is, a very good life. Far more rewarding then going into the office, at least it was for me. Personally I worked more extra time in the corporate world without compensation.

EQ, why don't you stop repeating yourself and address some of the questions asked with regards to the new school Board candidate. I think we'd all like to hear your perspective.

Posted · Report post

I can't believe anyone reads those vainglorious long posts. My finger is worn out scrolling past them. I used to read them, and then thought "Why?"

Posted · Report post

"vainglorious". now that's a word you don't see very often.

Posted · Report post

I find the information listed below with regards to tax revenue very interesting.  WW, can you provide that same information for Greenhills?

Taxes Received from the Village of Greenhills / # Students Using the District from Greenhills = ???

Hey WWW. What is the amount received compared to # of students from Greenhills? You are always telling me "I ought to know." You ought to let us know when we ask ? Too bad our votes are not weighted with this ratio.

Posted · Report post

Actually, I found EQ post interesting re his "extra comp".

Makes me realize that I should have been in a different line of work!

But, really, most people I think don't have quite that lucrative an overtime/bonus package. In fact, I don't know anyone off hand who does. When I worked at the big soap company, extra hours were absolutely necessary if you wanted to get anywhere at all; 40 hours by the clock and you were a loser. Saturdays off? What a dream. Leave at 5; not a chance.

Later, in private business, the hours were of course unbelievable. No one can work for only 40 hours and survive as a small businessperson. If one figures one's hourly rate it's pitiful.

So, while I envy EQ's great overtime history and am in fact on the side of the teachers (generally), I will say that many many people put in extra hours for no compensation and certainly no overtime cash.

But maybe this post is also vainglorious (what a wonderful word).

Posted · Report post

No, your post absolutely does not meet the definition. wink.gif

Posted · Report post

So, who can tell me what the cultural effect will be if the levy does not pass for our Community/s?

Will this be the last Homecoming Parade?

What will happen to what moral that is left for all involved?

What will the youth do now?

WWCSD will have to combine CPB?

Okay, so Greenhills gets its' own Community School... great. What of those that don't "belong"?

Will crime rate go up?

It is not a worry because it is the next town over?

Property value will increase?

I'm thinking that if you are assuming the levy does not pass you better sell your home within the next 31 days.

Posted · Report post

Those are all good questions that should be directed to the Board.

Over the past several years the levies have not passed without several attempts. The Board seems to be okay with this, and frankly so do many other "pro-levy" folks, because they keep sending the message "stay the course". 411, the "course" includes not passing levies. This isn't my imagination, it's been statistically proven over the past 17 years. I would consider that a "red flag". At the very least it deserves a big "hmmm" and should be pondered a little.

Posted · Report post

Christine, show me ANY school district that has easily passed a school levy in the last 20 years. The issue of funding is MUCH larger than this one district. This you choose not to understand because it doesn't jibe with your preconceived ideas.

The real truth is that this district hasn't 'stayed the course.' This district has continued to provide quality education with fewer and fewer resources. If this district had 'stayed' the course in the last 10 years it would have been bankrupt, reconfiguration or no reconfiguration.

You are free to criticize and pontificate because you have no real stake in these issues. You don't support a levy, you don't support public schools, you support private schools, and you said you don't really care who is on the board, even though you said you will vote for two members who already sit on the board (talk about stay the course!). You can criticize free from the knowledge that you don't have to make the hard decisions. You don't have to be accountable to anyone. You are very secure.

Posted · Report post

Actually, I'm a stakeholder that does not see the benefits with the current direction. So show me/us. Let's say the levy passes, what does the next 10 years look like? What can the taxpayers expect?

Posted · Report post

I stated that failure to pass levies has been an issue with public education for years now and not just in this district. Even in 'excellent' districts. Why do you think that is?

Posted · Report post

I stated that failure to pass levies has been an issue with public education for years now and not just in this district. Even in 'excellent' districts. Why do you think that is?

To answer your question, first I would have to select the districts to research, develop criteria for analysis and then assess fail/pass rates based on that criteria. I would have to look at the demographics and various other factors within the district and communities before I can begin to answer your question. Or, I can do what you do, shoot from the hip and just pull out something general like "it's happening everywhere". If I had to shoot from the hip I would say that the taxpayers are not buying that particular product for some reason. Usually it's more than just "I don't want to pay more taxes". It's usually "I don't want to pay more taxes because I don't like...".

Now answer mine. What does the next 10 years look like after the "emergency levy" passes?

Posted · Report post

The district will look better WITH the levy than without.

Christine, can you tell me who will be president in 10 years? Can you tell me what the stock market average will be in 10 years? Can you tell me what a gallon of gas will cost in 10 years? Can you tell me who will win the World Series in 10 years?

If you can answer any one of these questions with precision then I will admit that you are the greatest prognosticator since Nostradamus!

Posted · Report post

The district will look better WITH the levy than without.

Christine, can you tell me who will be president in 10 years? Can you tell me what the stock market average will be in 10 years? Can you tell me what a gallon of gas will cost in 10 years? Can you tell me who will win the World Series in 10 years?

If you can answer any one of these questions with precision then I will admit that you are the greatest prognosticator since Nostradamus!

I can certainly give it a shot, although those areas are not my expertise. But, then I'm not the one claiming to be an expert in those areas and I'm certainly not one asking for money.

You want money from the taxpayers, but yet you cannot answer questions with regard to results. You want money from the taxpayers, but yet unless they use the schools within the district they are not considered stakeholders. You want money from the taxpayers and instead of answering pertinent questions we get an entire Greenhills Journal filled with "happiness" and a slideshow intended to tug at the heartstrings.

Until someone from the district starts to address the concerns of the people instead of trying to simply change "perception" we are headed into a downward spiral.

Posted · Report post

Joseph Wolterman,"While a levy may not be the ideal funding mechanism for schools, it does give us the opportunity to communicate consequences to the board, positive or negative." GH Journal

I think this was the only sentence in the entire paper that did not support the levy.

However, I don't think the Journal will change any minds.

Posted · Report post

I read those words as well. I would like Mr. Wolterman to explain how voting against a levy communicates to the board better than electing new board members.

If the funding of public schools were made constitutional in some way that took away the need for levies, wouldn't communication to the board be based on who was best for the job? Just like all other elections in this country?

Look at it this way: If a new board is elected (over time given the staggering of terms) with the ideas that current opponents deem most important, and there is no money to implement those ideas, then how can they be implemented?

If there is no money in place, then how can meaningful change be implemented while still paying for the mandates placed upon this district by the the state and federal governments?

I don't see how less money (getting less all the time) gets us to the district that we want.

Posted · Report post

If there is no money in place, then how can meaningful change be implemented while still paying for the mandates placed upon this district by the the state and federal governments?

It's called developing a strategic plan that includes a strong business plan, with financials, that the taxpayers can vote on. Develop the plan (with input from all three communities), market it, place it on the ballot. If it wins, you implement it. If it doesn't win, chances are you didn't get the required input to develop the plan in the first place.

Posted · Report post

Joseph Wolterman,"While a levy may not be the ideal funding mechanism for schools, it does give us the opportunity to communicate consequences to the board, positive or negative." GH Journal

I think this was the only sentence in the entire paper that did not support the levy.

However, I don't think the Journal will change any minds.

cool.gif If I recall correctly, wasn't he the council member who did not/would not sign his name to the letter of support for WWCS last November?

Posted · Report post

Again, why are we sitting here worrying about what this Wolterman person says or thinks? What about the other GH members that DO support what is going on? Some of the most critical support for this levy (and our school district) comes from Greenhills. No question about it. Ahh, the GH journal was about happiness. Gee Christine, that really has to suck doesn't it? It didn't read like anything that you and your associates would put together. No. How dare they say anything positive.

I keep hearing about this business plan. "CREATE A BUSINESS PLAN". What other district around here does this? Is there a district that has such a plan that we can read to serve as a template? Fact: The district has laid out a plan. Fact: you don't like it. Okay, what does this mean? Many districts (even excellent with distinction and a cherry on top) districts have had to go back 3, 4, and even 7 times to pass an operating levy. It is the nature of the beast.

But then again, it isn't as if some of you really get out and see what is going on.

Tonight, for example, we had an academic fair at the HS so that the community could come on up and see what the students were doing.

We had a decent turnout and folks would have learned a lot about the things that are done in schools. It was pretty neat. You could have heard the band and choir. You could have seen the class displays of all of our schools.

What about those that are concerned about grades 5-8? Those of you that have written on and on about achievement and your "concern"?

Well, all of the brass from those grades was right there at the HS tonight. They were ready to answer your questions about anything you wanted to know about those grades. Sure there are problems, but were you there to hear the solutions and (gasp) needs? You could have brought your plan to them tonight.

Were you there? Yes, I am talking to the people that go digging through state reports desperately seeking their A HA moment. Did you have the courage or (gasp) time to drag yourselves up to the HS to speak truth to power?

It was raining Equalizer, and I was busy. Just a bunch of kool aid drinkers up there.

Oh yeah, it's the board's fault that nobody listens to you.

Posted · Report post

I would have really liked to make it EQ.. thank you for sharing.

Posted · Report post

The district has laid out a plan.  Fact: you don't like it.   Okay, what does this mean?  Many districts (even excellent with distinction and a cherry on top) districts have had to go back 3, 4, and even 7 times to pass an operating levy.  It is the nature of the beast.

You are correct, I don't like it, therefore I'll vote "no" on the levy. The question is "how many other taxpayers don't like it, or are indifferent about it"? In addition, if passing an operating levy is "the nature of the beast" then sit back and don't worry about it. One day it will pass. The question is "will it happen before the State has to jump in"?

Posted · Report post

Again, why are we sitting here worrying about what this Wolterman person says or thinks? What about the other GH members that DO support what is going on? Some of the most critical support for this levy (and our school district) comes from Greenhills. No question about it. Ahh, the GH journal was about happiness. Gee Christine, that really has to suck doesn't it? It didn't read like anything that you and your associates would put together. No. How dare they say anything positive.

I keep hearing about this business plan. "CREATE A BUSINESS PLAN". What other district around here does this? Is there a district that has such a plan that we can read to serve as a template? Fact: The district has laid out a plan. Fact: you don't like it. Okay, what does this mean? Many districts (even excellent with distinction and a cherry on top) districts have had to go back 3, 4, and even 7 times to pass an operating levy. It is the nature of the beast.

But then again, it isn't as if some of you really get out and see what is going on.

Tonight, for example, we had an academic fair at the HS so that the community could come on up and see what the students were doing.

We had a decent turnout and folks would have learned a lot about the things that are done in schools. It was pretty neat. You could have heard the band and choir. You could have seen the class displays of all of our schools.

What about those that are concerned about grades 5-8? Those of you that have written on and on about achievement and your "concern"?

Well, all of the brass from those grades was right there at the HS tonight. They were ready to answer your questions about anything you wanted to know about those grades. Sure there are problems, but were you there to hear the solutions and (gasp) needs? You could have brought your plan to them tonight.

Were you there? Yes, I am talking to the people that go digging through state reports desperately seeking their A HA moment. Did you have the courage or (gasp) time to drag yourselves up to the HS to speak truth to power?

It was raining Equalizer, and I was busy. Just a bunch of kool aid drinkers up there.

Oh yeah, it's the board's fault that nobody listens to you.

your ability to make snappy responses to statements you make (from your opponents perspective) is a real art form.

I bet all of us could finish on top in a debate if we get to present both sides.

Posted · Report post

The main issue before the voters is funding for the public schools. There has been a continous loss of funding in recent years from all sources resulting in cuts across the board. This district is facing a $2 million shortfall in revenue as a result of the many factors stated previously on this board and the only source of revenue that can prevent these cuts is a tax levy.

If we vote yes we can save the programs scheduled to be cut as spelled out by the superintendent. If we vote no we are insuring that the students currently in the Winton Woods City Schools will have less educational opportunity than all of the previous graduates from our public schools.

All rhetoric aside, that's the choice. Do you support public schools or do you not?

Posted · Report post

Do you support public schools or do you not?

Considering the fact the we are one of the highest taxed districts with regards to our schools, I would say "yes" we defintely support public education. Our funding per child is a clear indication of our support.