Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Winton Woods High School Fall Play May Be the Last

174 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Of the top sixteen students in the class of 2009, 15 are attending college this year. They are attending, among others, the University of Cincinnati, the Ohio State University, Vanderbilt University, the US Military Academy at West Point, Northern Kentucky University, Xavier University, Urbana University, and Miami University.

cool.gif And before anyone comments on the 16th student, that student could have gotten into any college they chose and in fact could have gotten a full ride scholashsip in a certain area of ability had their plans for the future involved college vs. a trade internship.

Posted · Report post

I think it would be great if more Winton Woods teachers lived in the district. But it isn't realistic. Teachers have to go where the jobs are and it may not be anywhere near where they live.

By the same token, there are teachers who specifically do not want to live in the district where they teach. Maybe they feel their privacy may be invaded. Would YOU want to live next door to a student? Maybe they are afraid of what their neighbors might say to them if they knew where they worked. Who knows? There is a lot of hostility towards the schools around here, if you haven't noticed. Would you buy a house in a district that may lay you off next year because we can't pass a levy?

all schools are losing the same with State cuts. WW is not unique. Yes, I lived in Hamilton, and worked in their schools. Yes I worked in this district, and lived here and I certainly know teachers who do. Someone give me some #s.

Actually, every teacher in my extended family lives in the town where they teach.

Posted · Report post

However if a teacher lives in the district and MOVES OUT, or has his/her child go to private school, it is a fair barometer of what the faculty really thinks of the quality of education and their district. Believe it, don't believe it, it's the sad truth.

I disagree. First off, if we shouldn't question a parent's choice of sending their child to whatever school is appropriate for them, should we not give parents who happen to be public school teachers the same choice? After all, how can we know what motivates their decision? I am neither defending nor condemning such a choice.

Nor can we possibly question the decision of someone who moves out of the district. They have their reasons and it's not our place to judge.

I want to be clear here: I have never questioned a parent's decision as to where they want their child educated. What I HAVE questioned is whether their decision is based on false or distorted information. I have NOT said that parents should change their decisions, but I have said maybe they should review their decision-making processes to be sure they have all of the information before making such an important decision.

Posted · Report post

If you think these schools are bad, your view is very distorted. There are great kids getting great educations in our schools. I would have done very well attending these schools. YOU would have done very well attending these schools. The programs, teachers, students are as good as they ever were. I would stack the best of these students with the best students that attended these schools in the old days.

Of the top sixteen students in the class of 2009, 15 are attending college this year. They are attending, among others, the University of Cincinnati, the Ohio State University, Vanderbilt University, the US Military Academy at West Point, Northern Kentucky University, Xavier University, Urbana University, and Miami University.

This is just the top 16! There are plenty of other college-bound students coming out of our public schools.

Is this just luck? Was it just the parents? Are these the only students who have excelled in our public schools?

I'll bet there wasn't a fight or a gun among them. There are HUNDREDS more just like them. They graduated from a district that's in 'Continuous Improvement.'

POOR them!

someone makes a statement about the entire district and you want to change the focus to 16 students. Someone makes a statement about the long term decline in public education and you want to change the focus to the last two years. I guess it's easier to debate a topic if you get to choose the parameters. Does anyone look at the big picture? Why can so many other districts educate their students with less money than WWCSD?

I think the core of the WWCSD problems is short-sightedness. Consolidation balanced the books short-term, but created ill will that still makes it harder to pass a levy. Reconfiguration made the books balance short-term, but PO'd some of the district's strongest supporters who won't support a levy today. The levy that did pass included a new football field cleverly labeled "facility improvements". The voters who found that to be deceptive won't support future levies either. Brandon Wiers is running for a seat on the board for the purpose of replacing a Spr Twp resident w/ a FP resident. He'd get a short-term FP majority, but you can bet that there will be long-term division created by his actions.

If the device I saw at the high school was not a metal detector, I don't know what it was. Anti theft device? For crying out loud, students have to wear see-through backpacks so staff can see if they are packin'. The point is that someone called this a nurturing environment. I don't agree, at least not from my personal experience, which was at Greenhills High School.

A gun incident was reported at the middle school and on a WWCS bus. Is this different reporting of the same incident?

Posted · Report post

i know a couple, teachers at another district, who are weighing the decision to send their kids to wwpn soon. their dilemma is they work in, and want to support, public schools, but may opt for a Christian education for their children. so, maybe it goes both ways? i don't know. there are a myriad of reasons why a teacher might decide to work in a school system in which there child might attend. they could range from believing that child would not receive a quality education to wanting a religious education to just wanting the child to be able to socialize with his/her peers without his/her teacher/parent hovering over. to indicate that the only possible reason could be the atmosphere or educational opportunities of wwcs would be, i would think, inaccurate...unless those parent/teachers were surveyed.

Posted · Report post

You clearly did not read the entire statement. I said there were HUNDREDS more like them.

There are no metal detectors in our schools.

You speak of two unfortunate gun incidents as if this were a common occurence. You, sir, are making a mountain out of a mole hill. Guns bad. Common? No!

Reconfiguration saves this district money on an ongoing basis and uses resources more effectively than the old K-6 model.

If you didn't understand the stadium deal then you didn't read the ballot and you ignored all of the literature that explained it all in detail. You DID read the ballot, didn't you?

Clear and mesh backpacks date back to Columbine. Proves nothing. Your statement about packin' is a flat distortion.

Predicting what Mr. Weir may or may not do whether he is EVEN elected is a gross fabrication.

Greenhills High School was not so great. I was there.

Posted · Report post

Questioning where a teacher lives when they start working for a district is not fair. However if a teacher lives in the district and MOVES OUT, or has his/her child go to private school, it is a fair barometer of what the faculty really thinks of the quality of education and their district. Believe it, don't believe it, it's the sad truth.

I wasn't asking to be nosy, or make judgements. I was sincerely surprised because I have many public school teachers in my family, and they all live in the same town where they teach. In Colorado, Ohio, Georgia, and NC. It kind of bums me out that the people we are paying may not be contributing taxes to the communities in an equal way because the buildings are not distributed equally.

Posted · Report post

You speak of two unfortunate gun incidents as if this were a common occurence. You, sir, are making a mountain out of a mole hill. Guns bad. Common? No!

i could be mistaken...weren't these two incidents early/mid last school year? i haven't heard of any other incidents with weapons since. have there been new safety measures implemented since these incidents? or have other incidents not been publicized? or could it be just plain old dumb luck?

Posted · Report post

enjoying your posts, wwk.

Posted · Report post

If the device I saw at the high school was not a metal detector, I don't know what it was. Anti theft device?

Unless something new has been installed in the last 18 hours, I have no idea what you're talking about. There are two primary entrances into the building during the day, Front door and the kids come in the side entrance by the gym and theatre.

You're free to look....

As far as the other issue, ONE incident, bus coming to Middle School. 12/4/2007.

You want the link?

Posted · Report post

WWW - see this poster made my point I've been trying to make with you about this topic for two years! It makes us look bad! It gives a negative impression and ammunition for someone such as this poster that wants to 'scare' people from our schools.

I knew you were going to get that one in there.... biggrin.gif

All kidding aside, as we are not allowed to kid or guess at numbers...any numbers,

we're looking at it.

Posted · Report post

"Meanwhile - - - - - Back on topic"

I wanted to know if this will in fact be the last play, can I bring my socket set and take a couple of rows of the seating in the auditorium? I'm setting up a new seating arena for my friend Michael who just moved to Philadelphia.

Posted · Report post

You clearly did not read the entire statement. I said there were HUNDREDS more like them.

There were hundreds of kids that graduated in the top 16 of their class?

Reconfiguration saves this district money on an ongoing basis and uses resources more effectively than the old K-6 model.

sure it does, but it was a nail in the coffin for public education in GH ans ST. The residents show that at the polls.

If you didn't understand the stadium deal then you didn't read the ballot and you ignored all of the literature that explained it all in detail. You DID read the ballot, didn't you?

Some thought the wording to be somewhat deceptive. It certainly wasn't the type of "luxury" item you want to follow with an operating levy. I don't live in the WWCSD. The house I live in was annexed into Wyoming when the residents saw the storm approaching after the consolidation.

Clear and mesh backpacks date back to Columbine. Proves nothing.

So this is a standard practice to keep guns out of schools initiated after a tragic event where students brought guns into school, but it proves nothing?

Predicting what Mr. Weir may or may not do whether he is EVEN elected is a gross fabrication.

Read his memo and get back to me

You really don't want to invite the comparisons, do you? I'm betting you were not on the debate team

Honestly, I am not pro-levy or anti-levy. I am amazed at the logic some people use to promote the desired result-a YES vote. There a lot of valid points raised on both sides. I am dumbfounded when I see someone ask a valid question only to be told they need to shift their vantage point to see things differently. It's a shell game of words that ultimately creates ill will when a positive perception was originally desired.

Posted · Report post

I am absolutely sick and tired of watching you all change the subject, split hairs, and sidestep the core issues that have made this such a mess. Good people with the best of intentions for their children and their community have made an informed decision regarding the upcoming levy. They have been attacked, ridiculed and belittled. Wouldn't it be easier to just answer their questions and address the issues? I think you might have a better chance of gaining support rather than losing it. I believe gaining that support is your goal. isn't it?

Posted · Report post

Well WWK, I don't live in the district either - not even in the state. Doesn't mean I don't care about the school district from which I graduated (back in the dark ages when it was Greenhills High School.)

And, also, my Mother lives in the district and someday (hopefully distant) I will be responsible for trying to sell her house when she no longer has need of it.

Further again, I have friends who live in the district who have kids. Should I not "give a flip" for them either?

Again, I also have friends who live in the district who don't have kids but who are taxpayers. Should I not care about their situation?

And finally, I have friends who live in the district who are on a fixed income and truly cannot afford to continue with the tax increases. Telling me (as was done recently in another post) that they should just move is ridiculous and condescending. Why should long time residents, good people, be blown off because of a fixed income/declining income situation?

I know this wasn't your point, but I do think that just because someone is out of the district does not mean they haven't an interest.

And finally -- does it not occur to you that just because we don't live in the district we don't have friends/families to whom we speak and who we might just be able to influence?

Posted · Report post

There were hundreds of kids that graduated in the top 16 of their class?

sure it does, but it was a nail in the coffin for public education in GH ans ST. The residents show that at the polls.

Some thought the wording to be somewhat deceptive. It certainly wasn't the type of "luxury" item you want to follow with an operating levy. I don't live in the WWCSD. The house I live in was annexed into Wyoming when the residents saw the storm approaching after the consolidation.

Clear and mesh backpacks date back to Columbine. Proves nothing.

So this is a standard practice to keep guns out of schools initiated after a tragic event where students brought guns into school, but it proves nothing?

Read his memo and get back to me

You really don't want to invite the comparisons, do you? I'm betting you were not on the debate team

Honestly, I am not pro-levy or anti-levy. I am amazed at the logic some people use to promote the desired result-a YES vote. There a lot of valid points raised on both sides. I am dumbfounded when I see someone ask a valid question only to be told they need to shift their vantage point to see things differently. It's a shell game of words that ultimately creates ill will when a positive perception was originally desired.

I don't know what your game is here, Dazed, but it is not constructive and doesn't help to clarify the issue.

You speak as if you really know what goes on, but the metal detector thing shows you really do not know what you are talking about. Your analysis of the stadium deal is ditto. And I guess WWWarrior is a liar about the gun thing.

Let me say again, there are HUNDREDS of students, NOT JUST THE TOP 16, who are getting a great education here at Winton Woods and anyone who says otherwise is flat wrong.

Is that clear enough for you, Dazed?

Or are you still dazed and confused?

Posted · Report post

As far as I'm concerned, anyone can post an opinion on this site (within reason of course. Right Uncle?). One does not have to be a resident to voice their opinion and I have seen both pro- and anti-levy comments from non-residents. That's okay with me.

This school levy issue is critical to our communities.The $2 million in cuts are REAL. The damage will be REAL. Our students should have the same opportunities we had in this district.

I wish to look to the future for the kids today and tomorrow. The past cannot be undone and it is not constructive to hold grudges about the old days. Opting out of the debate does not move us forward.

If you see a no vote as hope for the future, good for you. I don't understand it, but good for you.

I prefer to move ahead and, to me, voting YES on this levy is the first step. It is not the same district it was 30 years ago and it will not be the same district 30 years from now. But the $2 million we are talking about is HERE and NOW. That's all we can control.

Public education is a public good and should be supported by the public. In my opinion a no vote does not support public education.

Posted · Report post

Good golly I just read this... you don't even live here??? Why the heck do you give a flip one way or another about OUR school district - concern for your fellow man?? Really, I don't get why you care about guns, 'metal detectors', stadiums, levy's or anything else going on over this side of the pond in wwcs.  Don't feel obliged to explain, I'm just thinking out loud..  huh.gif

Dazed is a dedicated supporter of this village. He accomplishes more than most can even dream about when it comes to helping this community. He has started an organization that not only helps the residents of Greenhill, but Forest Park and the families from the WWCSD. He works closely with representatives from the WWCSD to ensure that students from the district have brighter Christmases, and the kids have uniforms for school when their families can't afford them. He dedicates his time, talent and treasure to our sports teams, our kids, and the elderly of this village, and Forest Park. Also, he has a personal stake in the district because he wants what's best for his family members.

And, to answer your question with regards to "Why the heck do you give a flip one way or another about OUR school district?". Well, you already answered it on your own, but you posed it as a question.

And, if you want to know why he doesn't live in Greenhills? Well, that's for him to answer.

Posted · Report post

This is just the top 16! There are plenty of other college-bound students coming out of our public schools.

Is this just luck? Was it just the parents? Are these the only students who have excelled in our public schools?

I'll bet there wasn't a fight or a gun among them. There are HUNDREDS more just like them. They graduated from a district that's in 'Continuous Improvement.

I beg to differ. By definition, there are only 16 of them.

How many kids were in that class?

BTW, my nephew was one of the 16.

Posted · Report post

As far as I'm concerned, anyone can post an opinion on this site (within reason of course. Right Uncle?). One does not have to be a resident to voice their opinion and I have seen both pro- and anti-levy comments from non-residents. That's okay with me.

This school levy issue is critical to our communities.The $2 million in cuts are REAL. The damage will be REAL. Our students should have the same opportunities we had in this district.

I wish to look to the future for the kids today and tomorrow. The past cannot be undone and it is not constructive to hold grudges about the old days. Opting out of the debate does not move us forward.

If you see a no vote as hope for the future, good for you. I don't understand it, but good for you.

I prefer to move ahead and, to me, voting YES on this levy is the first step. It is not the same district it was 30 years ago and it will not be the same district 30 years from now. But the $2 million we are talking about is HERE and NOW. That's all we can control.

Public education is a public good and should be supported by the public. In my opinion a no vote does not support public education.

I could not agree more.

Posted · Report post

I will also add one more thing about Dazed, he's a big pain in the ass. But, he's our pain in the ass. tongue.gif

Posted · Report post

remember these?

Really, do you believe by failing levy after levy and getting your revenge that you will finally be able to strong arm the boe into giving GH its schools back???

It's amazing to me that the same people at Christmas time (Pioneer Express) and countless other times that can be so giving and charitable towards those less fortunate but when it comes to giving that same group an opportunity for an education it's a 'screw them' attitude.

Look, I don't care about Springfield Township; MANY there are in private, can afford it and they can market that little area for those affording it.

For those of us who currently have children enrolled in Winton Woods City Schools and may be considering transfering a child (or children) out into the Parochial schools (and may or may not be Catholic and therefore have no insight) but would like our child(ren) to receive an excellent education with a religious foundation would any of you "Junedalers" who currently have children in the local private schools mind commenting on what school you use and your thoughts on why you selected that particular school.

As much as I fear the changes within the district,

Posted · Report post

My oldest son, who is mildly autistic, extremely polite, and has an above average IQ, was a freshman at the High School in 96.  After his teacher left his english II class early, some boys jumped him and shoved him into shelving.  He went to the office with blood dripping down his face.  They ask, who were the boys, but because he did not know their names they did nothing but bandage his temple.  I called the next day and told them I would make a police report if they did not handle it.  For the next few days the vice principal sat in the room.  However, his books, calculators, etc were always stolen from him do to the fact that when he is reading or doing his work , he is unaware of the space around him.  This was a long time ago, but my younger two were in Trinity K-8 at the time, and we decided to keep them in Christian school until they graduated.  I hope things are better.  My daughter has stayed very close to some gifted GH friends who graduated from WW.  They tell me they hated it.  This is just my personal experience, but I am sure that the above average, well disiplined student who has their future goals planned out can get a very good education there.

I know exactly the type of situation you are talking about. A student I know was at the newly merged HS- was approached and was subject of "minor" assault in the corridor. When reported, her Mother went with her to Principal's office where it was made plain to her that if she proceeded with her complaint it would jeopardize

the boy's expected offer of athletic scholarships. They "diplomatically" expressed their knowledge that she certainly didn't want to ruin his chances. Girl in a new school with another year to go, both she and her Mother heard loud and clear the implication that she would be the one paying for pursuing the matter not the boy.

They circle the wagons no matter what the incident. We found out after the fact about lockdowns, and other incidents at the school. Look how long it took them to acknowledge that the was a case of H1N1 at the Middle School. I know the family and the school was notified as soon as the test showed positive..several days before it was mentioned here and the school still tries to be secretive. BTW Were the parents advised of a teacher at the 5-6 bldg who also had H1N1? Just curious

Posted · Report post

Everyone out there (including myself) who has their different opinions on whether or not to vote for the levy--If you chase out everyone who gives a crap about how things could be better (and eventually you will), then you will fill up the Ol Village of Greenhills with more of the same ilk from Forest Park and Greenhills--meaning the ones who don't care. Do they vote? Aren't some of those poor neglected kids a problem? Are the parents involved? There are lots of concerned parents in FP and GH, but being realistic, there are many who just don't care about the schools, or even their kids.

So go ahead and bash Dazed (who went through the school system), Christine, Hayden, Grandma CJ, Ole Spice, me, and anyone else around here who doesn't see things your way. The district is catering to the most disadvantaged, and we are supposed to be sensitive, feel sorry, cry and try to make their lives less of a living hell than their parents make it? Why is that my job? Why is it the teachers' jobs? How about just educating kids? Sorry, I'm not buying it. And for all you folks out there rallying for the levy, with your kids in the band, honors, GTE, etc.--that's the great separator for the district. Hope the programs last for your kids. They are the ones keeping the ratings above water.

Maybe you should try working over some of the ignorant non-voters who continue to be the reason the levies fail time after time. Try letting us enjoy the community we love and contribute to for as long as we can, while we make other decisions for our childrens' educations. You really don't need our votes, if only you could convince the parents whose kids you work hardest for to get theirs.