* 1/2 yellow onion, minced

* 1 tablespoon dry sherry

* 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice

* 1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped

* 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

* 24 sea urchin "tongues"

* 6 rustic bread slices

Directions

Combine the minced onion, sherry, lemon juice, cilantro, and 1 tablespoon olive oil in a bowl. Add the urchins and season with salt and pepper. Let marinate while you grill the bread. Brush the bread slices with the remaining olive oil and grill over medium heat until both sides are lightly colored. Slice the toast into fingers and top with the urchin and serve.

Posted · Report post

I want to extend Uncle a heartfelt thank you for NOT attaching a photo of sea urchin tongues.

Posted · Report post

The sea urchin’s globular “test” is made up of calcareous plates with two openings: the anus, in the center among the spines; and the mouth, known as “Aristotle’s lantern,” found on the underside, having five teeth but no spines. This is where the edible parts of the animal are found: the five sex glands, namely the coral and the liquid that surrounds them. The five glands form five “tongues,” arranged in a star shape. This is why the words “coral” and “tongue” are used to refer to the same thing, though in fact we should speak of the “gonad.”

Posted · Report post

oh my!!! I am sorry I ask!!! Has anyone ate any of these???? Oh my!!! sad.gif

Posted · Report post

oh my!!!  I am sorry I ask!!! Has anyone ate any of these????  Oh my!!! sad.gif

my husband and i used to get sushi from Wild Oats Market in hyde park back in the day. one time, the variety pack we brought home had sea urchin in it. i made my husband try it first; to this day, it's the only thing i've ever seen him try that he immediately spit out! i don't think i could pay him to try this recipe! lol...

Posted · Report post

The sea urchin’s globular “test” is made up of calcareous plates with two openings: the anus, in the center among the spines; and the mouth, known as “Aristotle’s lantern,” found on the underside, having five teeth but no spines. This is where the edible parts of the animal are found: the five sex glands, namely the coral and the liquid that surrounds them. The five glands form five “tongues,” arranged in a star shape. This is why the words “coral” and “tongue” are used to refer to the same thing, though in fact we should speak of the “gonad.”

There is so much to add to this and even, I, Blight Reporter, am speechless.

Posted · Report post

Blighty, this is the best recipe for you yet. You already love peeing on yourself. You can spend the day harvesting them, peeing on your wounds, then dining alone watching Spongebob.

Posted · Report post

Blighty, this is the best recipe for you yet. You already love peeing on yourself. You can spend the day harvesting them, peeing on your wounds, then dining alone watching Spongebob.

Your incendiary comments about me are growing tiresome. Perhaps, I should finish my lunch, climb that ladder, and nail gun you to the roof.

Before you try and get your way out of your ass-matic verbage keep in mind that I've found bigger chunks of things like you in my stool.

Now, get back on the roof, shut your trap, and pound nails.

Posted · Report post

keep in mind that I've found bigger chunks of things like you in my stool.

It's all coming into focus now, this would explain the potty humor that you employ on a regular basis.

Toodles. tongue.gif