Moon Sand

4 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

There is someone responsible for developing the "toy" known as Moon Sand. I hate this man, and I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next.

DO NOT BRING THIS S&#T into your household.

Posted · Report post

I hate that crap. It's a nightmare on hardwood and in carpet. Can't ever get it fully cleaned up. The stuff is evil - worse than play dough. Play dough at least dries up. dry.gif

Posted · Report post

amen to the moon sand sentiments. mad.gifmad.gifmad.gif

Posted · Report post

Actually, moon sand is very cool. It's actually a hydrophobic material.

For you (a large majority of Junedalers) let me explain what that means: The hydrophobic effect is the observed tendency of nonpolar substances to aggregate in aqueous solution and exclude water molecules. The name, literally meaning "water-fearing," describes the segregation and apparent repulsion between water and nonpolar substances. The hydrophobic effect explains the separation of a mixture of oil and water into its two components, and the beading of water on nonpolar surfaces, because they fear the water molecules and force them onto each other so it beads, such as waxy leaves. At the molecular level, the hydrophobic effect is important in driving protein folding, formation of lipid bilayers and micelles, insertion of membrane proteins into the nonpolar lipid environment and protein-small molecule interactions. Substances for which this effect is observed are known as hydrophobes.

You're Welcome!