‘We Will Not Comply’: Catholic Leaders Distribute

41 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Better invest in a pair of these and 5000 rounds before we force you to strap on a condom. laugh.gif

user posted image

Posted · Report post

The government has no right to force this on anyone. If an employee disagrees with his employer's health care offering then that employee is free to find another job that has healthcare he agrees with. This is an overreach of the government and I would like to hear a differnt opinion.

Posted · Report post

5000 rounds before we force you to strap on a condom

Ahhh Loon....Look up the term Gradualism....

This is only the Condom's nose under the tent! laugh.gif

Posted · Report post

Our local Archbishop's letter.

http://www.thecatholictelegraph.com/a-lett...-hhs-edict/5749

This is a 1st amendment issue. Freedom of religion. When this goes to court, this legislation will be overturned.

Now if there were someone other than Mitt that had a chance. OB has got to go.

Posted · Report post

5000 rounds before we force you to strap on a condom

Ahhh Loon....Look up the term Gradualism....

This is only the Condom's nose under the tent! laugh.gif

Hit it on the head dude ... only this is bigger the birth control .

Condom's nose .... hehehe laugh.gif

Posted · Report post

Can someone point to me where there is a right to healthcare? But last I checked, there is a right to freedom of religion. There have always been exceptions for religious objections throughout history. The Catholic Church cannot even get around this rule - they can't say "We simply won't provide healthcare to avoid going against our conscience." That will bring major federal penalties also.

Even when San Francisco initiated domestic partner benefits in the late 90s, the city leaders allowed for exemptions for the Catholic Church because of religious objections. Even in states where there are civil unions for gay couples, Catholic churches are not forced to marry gay couples. I work for a Catholic organization. It would be ridiculous of me to even think they should provide abortion or birth control. I knew that coming into the job. Insurance doesn't cover everything anyway - and in case of religious entities (not just Catholics), they should be allowed to get plans that do not cover items they are morally objected to. Are they going to force circumcision onto Orthodox Jews? This is a clear example of bureaucratic creep which is what this administration wants. This ruling from HHS came down as all the bishops are meeting with pope at the Vatican and right before the annual RTL march in DC. Don't kid yourself - the administration wanted this fight. Sebelius is a product of local Catholic schools. She knew what she was doing. This was carefully timed.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/oba...7XdQ_story.html

From OSV:

"President Barack Obama delivered the bad news himself.

On Friday, Jan. 20, he called New York Archbishop Timothy M. Dolan, president of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops, to tell him that his administration would announce later that day that it had decided not to exempt Church-affiliated institutions from a new health-care regulation requiring employers to provide free birth control and sterilizations to employees. "

Posted · Report post

The government has no right to force this on anyone. If an employee disagrees with his employer's health care offering then that employee is free to find another job that has healthcare he agrees with. This is an overreach of the government and I would like to hear a differnt opinion.

cool.gif I am an admitted moderate to liberal, especially on social issues.....and I agree with you 100%, Bob. Well said.

Posted · Report post

well, the church makes tons of moneey and they run their faith as a business any more it seems. I think they should be bound to mor of the same laws that businesses have to deal with. i think it's a shame that some get an advantage over others.

Posted · Report post

What advantage does a Catholic run hospital have? What are you talking about Smendrick? Why can't a business (your words) have the "choice" to offer their employees the healthcare plan they want to offer. All the employees are free to go work somewhere else if they don't like the healthcare plan being offered at their place of employment.

The Catholic Church's concern is being forced to provide healthcare that pays for something that is against their religion. The Catholic Church is NOT trying to stop their employees or anyone else from obtaining their own birth control pills AT THEIR OWN EXPENSE.

Sorry for yelling there. I was beginning to think that people were misunderstanding this issue because they were not hearing it clearly.

Choice. That's the key word here, right? Choice. The government would like to protect a woman's right to choose, well, you know what that "choice" is eh... But they want to take away a business's "choice" to offer the healthcare plan choose. All jobs are not government jobs yet Smendrick. The government does not have the right to force a Catholic hospital to offer healthcare that provides birth control medicine.

Posted · Report post

From Phro's link, Blowhard Bozo screeches with typical hysteria "This is the biggest story dealing with an assault on religious freedom in the history of the Republic."

Wow, really? Is this bigger than the Protestant riots in Philadelphia during 1844 that killed at least 14 people and destroyed two Catholic Churches, a fire station, and 30 homes? Is this worse than anti-Catholic measures that were part of State Constitutions in early America? Worse than the Cincinnati Riot of 1853 (one of many, many riots in this city), that was triggered merely by a visit of Cardinal Gaetano Bedini, the emissary of Pope Pius IX?

28 States already require similar coverage for contraception, so is this really the biggest assault on religious freedom in over 220 years?

Posted · Report post

28 States already require

There's a Separation of Church and State argument

somewhere in this. wink.gif

Posted · Report post

You are right Loonie. People are blowing this situation out of proportion. But that doesn't take away the fact that this is a very intrusive act of government and Obama now decides that the insurance companies themselves are responsible for everyone's birth control methods and prescriptions. This president doesn't understand that he has no right to force this on the public. I hate to keep bringing this up but when Bush made controversial decisions he was immediately called Hitler and accused of being a dictator.

Posted · Report post

From Phro's link, Blowhard Bozo screeches with typical hysteria "This is the biggest story dealing with an assault on religious freedom in the history of the Republic."

Wow, really? Is this bigger than the Protestant riots in Philadelphia during 1844 that killed at least 14 people and destroyed two Catholic Churches, a fire station, and 30 homes? Is this worse than anti-Catholic measures that were part of State Constitutions in early America? Worse than the Cincinnati Riot of 1853 (one of many, many riots in this city), that was triggered merely by a visit of Cardinal Gaetano Bedini, the emissary of Pope Pius IX?

28 States already require similar coverage for contraception, so is this really the biggest assault on religious freedom in over 220 years?

YES, REALLY. in time it will be much worse.

In the meantime check this little nugget out

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/hooking-ki...ture-customers/

Caution some of this is kind of graphic but it is ment for school age kids , so it cant be that bad ... right?

Posted · Report post

YES, REALLY. in time it will be much worse

Holy Cr-P!!!!

I was thinking I would see the

"SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE" logo at the end of the clip. dry.gif

As a Spoof!

Posted · Report post

There is much division within the Catholic Church and Catholic Institutions regarding the issue of contraception and the new health care mandate.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/02/16/...E81F12620120216

Before you start to scream that our government is infringing upon our 1st Amendment rights it might be worth it ask why so many Catholic women use contraception in defiance of church teachings?

Why do you think that is?

Seems to me, there is a rift in the American Catholic community and perhaps this has more to do with who controls the power within the Catholic Church than 1st Amendment rights.

Posted · Report post

Beyond Pelvic Politics : By NICHOLAS D. KRISTOF, NYTimes.com

The basic principle of American life is that we try to respect religious beliefs, and accommodate them where we can.

Beyond Pelvic Politics

Posted · Report post

Yes, but right after that quote:

Then again, it’s not clear how many people actually are offended. A national survey found that 98 percent of sexually active Catholic women use birth control at some point in their lives. Moreover, a survey by the Public Religion Research Institute reported that even among Catholics, 52 percent back the Obama policy: they believe that religiously affiliated universities and hospitals should be obliged to include birth control coverage in insurance plans.

...If we have to choose between bishops’ sensibilities and women’s health, our national priority must be the female half of our population.

That reminds me, I heard some AM radio commentary today stating "contraception is against Natural Law", on a level with The Golden Rule. Comments please?

Posted · Report post

our national priority must be the female half of our population.

Is ANYONE surprised that people fall off the "religion" dogma wagon?

TO ME the real question is HOW in the world did an administration

that obviously believes in the fabled "separation of church and state",

somehow able to say ANYTHING to ANY church about ANYTHING.

Seems this is a TEST case to see how much crap churches will

gobble up to save their 501c3 status. (etc.)

"Intolerance" is next. wink.gif

Posted · Report post

I have a comment Loonie. The Catholics are NOT trying to prevent people (even Catholic people) from having access to birth control pills or other birth control "methods". The Catholic Church simply does not want to pay for birth control pills or abortions through their insurance. Insurance they are providing. Insurance they shouls have control over what is provided. This is obviously something that a lot of people from your side of the political spectrum have a hard time understanding. This is against their religion. It's that simple. Nuance does not come into play here.

This is not that radical and the left is distorting the argument by claiming that the Catholic church and conservatives in general are trying to ban all contraceptives. That is what the argument is about and if you want to make the stand that the government has the right to force the Catholic church to provide insurance that pays for birth control pills then you go right ahead and hold that view. You and the New York Times and MSNBC can all be in agreement that it is your right to force it on Catholics. Nobody is trying to take away a woman's right to have access to birth control medicine. They just don't want to have to pay for it because it is against their religion. Against their religion. Against their religion. Is there an echo in here?

Your reference to "A national survey found that 98 percent of sexually active Catholic women use birth control at some point in their lives." still does not justify the government's actions. "A national survey" eh? That's about as official as you can get right there. Well, the Pope better get with the program and bend to the winds of change regarding what that national survey has to say. The Pope and the Catholic Church doesn't give a crap about national surveys. This is what they believe. Their beliefs are not threatening anybody. They don't wanna pay for birth control pills. Stop distorting that fact.

And to top it all off, Obama now claims that those that complained will now not have to pay if they don't want to...The insurance companies will now be responsible for the costs of birth control pills. How the Hell can he do that? How the Hell can the president make a determination about who is paying for what? People should be questioning these decisions.

Bush would be called a Nazi if he would have made a decision like this. Yet Obama is called a leader.

Posted · Report post

Here is link to the local archbishop's letter in reply to the accommodation.

http://www.thecatholictelegraph.com/a-lett...comodation/6258

Since the archdiocese is self-insured this ruling would still require them to provide a benefit that is counter to basic church teaching and a violation of the First Amendment.

This isn't a women's rights issue or a health care issue. This is a basic political ploy to force a group of people to do what you think is best for them. Makes me think back to our wonderful governor and his anti-union drive from last November, that didn't turn out how he wanted. This won't turn out BO and friends want either.