Hanky-panky

9 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2012020...|text|FRONTPAGE

Apparently this is a west-side classic snack.....the rye bread is the little cocktail size, not a regular loaf

Hanky-Pankys

The classic version

1 pound ground beef

1 pound pork sausage

1 pound Velveeta cheese, diced

1/2 teaspoon oregano

1/2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce

2 loaves of cocktail rye bread

In a medium skillet, brown the beef and sausage together, breaking up thoroughly with a fork. Drain extra grease. Add the Velveeta , oregano and Worcestershire sauce and stir until cheese is melted. Put 2 teaspoons of the mixture on top of each piece of rye bread and arrange on a cookie sheet or broiler pan. Preheat broiler, then broil the hanky-panks until the cheese is bubbly and hot.

Makes about 60.

Other variations in the link......

Posted · Report post

I made this by request for a party once. Good God, you could feel your arteries clogging on the first bite. laugh.gif

Posted · Report post

It is definitely a west-side recipe. The east-side version recipe is more like this:

1 pound ground smoked salmon (flown in fresh from Alaska)

1 pound caviar

1 pound smoked Gouda cheese, diced

1/2 teaspoon oregano

1/4 cup Dom Perignon

Have your kitchen help place all ingredients in equal parts on rye bread. Helpers should also make sure the white wine which is being served with this dish be at the correct temperature.

Makes enough for 80-90 or small gala event.

Posted · Report post

Hanky-Pankys

Butler County version

1 pound ground beef

1 pound pork sausage

1/2 teaspoon oregano

In a medium skillet, brown the beef and sausage together, breaking up thoroughly with a fork. Drain extra grease. Add the Velveeta , oregano and Worcestershire sauce and stir until cheese is melted. Put all of the mixture on top of a giant hoagy bun and arrange on a cookie sheet or broiler pan. Preheat broiler, then broil the hanky-panks until the cheese is bubbly and hot. Eat on the front porch. Use the dryer door as your food tray. For extra Hank-Panky eat with one hand and jam the other down the front of your pants.

Makes 1.

Posted · Report post

Hey Blight I thought that was hanky spanky.

Posted · Report post

Hey Blight I thought that was hanky spanky.

You did. And, you do.

Posted · Report post

When Blight Reporter heads to McD's Bar for a happy hour, it usually turns into skanky panky.

Posted · Report post

Hanky-Pankys

Butler County version

1 pound ground beef

1 pound pork sausage

1/2 teaspoon oregano

In a medium skillet, brown the beef and sausage together, breaking up thoroughly with a fork. Drain extra grease. Add the Velveeta , oregano and Worcestershire sauce and stir until cheese is melted. Put all of the mixture on top of a giant hoagy bun and arrange on a cookie sheet or broiler pan. Preheat broiler, then broil the hanky-panks until the cheese is bubbly and hot. Eat on the front porch. Use the dryer door as your food tray. For extra Hank-Panky eat with one hand and jam the other down the front of your pants.

Makes 1.

I tried to eat a whole order of this with the Scoob and I found myself running around in the backyard looking for a "spot".