Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Catholic School Advice?

4 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

We are beginning the process of considering the area Catholic schools, specifically St. James, John Paul, and St. Gabriel. If we go that route our kids would be transferring between the 3d and 4th grade, but would likely each stay where they are now (private, non-catholic) until that age.

I know that these are all good schools, but surely there are differences among them, and tradeoffs (i.e. bigger vs. smaller). I would appreciate any advice or insight that people might have to share. Thanks!

Posted · Report post

My kids go to st. Gabs. Its a nice small school only 50 students per grade. The offer extras like weekly computers and spanish classes. What we found is if your the parent that gets involved in your kids school you gain a nice extended family. They have a rich curriculum and tend to teach 1 or 2 grades above the public schools. When your kids leave they are definately prepared for high school. They are also a blue ribbon school. They offer extra curriculars like band, basketball, vollyball , cub scouts and girl scouts, and girls on the run. They have a very active ptc. Lots of opportunities to volunteer but your not required to do any volunteer work if you work full time. Definately recommend that you go to the open house at the end of the month. Spots fill up quick so don't delay turning in the registration paperwork.

Posted · Report post

My children transferred from WWPN to John Paul II when they were in the 2nd and 3rd grades, and they are now 7th and 8th graders. I can honestly tell you that we have never regretted this decision. JPII has two classes per grade level, which is why we chose it instead of St. James. There are also lots of sports and extra-curriculars to choose from.

There is an open house January 26 at 12:30, and your children can also shadow there during a school day.

Best of luck to you!

Posted · Report post

We are all blessed to have all of these great Catholic schools surrounding our area! You can't go wrong with any of them....check them all out -- ask for a personal tour by the principals and send your child to shadow for a day. That is the only way you will decide. Open Houses are not a clear reflection of what you will get. You need to interview the principal and ask lots of questions.

We have always been happy at St. James of the Valley. It's small, but my kids are getting a quality education and I believe are prepared for high school when they graduate as we have witnessed. Many kids go on to excel at the best high schools such as St. Xavier, LaSalle, Moeller and Roger Bacon, not to mention MND and St. Ursula and others.

I believe they are all good schools and it is a personal choice where you decide may be the best fit for your child.

Good luck on your search. I know Winton Woods - one of the grade buildings is at Emergency status now (I think Grades 5th and 6th) and those families are now able to get the Ed Choice and can move their kids to a private school if they want now.

Information just posted about SJOV's Open House. But I would recommend a personal tour by Jim Haag. He takes you to each classroom while the kids are learning and you can ask any questions you want. Then have your kids shadow for the day (whenever you are seriously looking and considering).