Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Village Energy Aggregation Program Questions

9 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Have you been involved in the Village Program?

Have you noticed any savings?

Is it worth the switch?

Have you had any issues with Duke in regards to switching to the new energy supplier?

Is the bill the same, with just the new suppliers name on the electric portion of the bill?

Thanks,

TraderD

Posted · Report post

The ONLY difference I noticed since the change was a decrease in my budget billing of about 10%, but I'll take $20+ a month for doing/feeling absolutely no change at all. We have both electric and gas aggregation. My budget billing has been fairly steady for about 5 years prior. Having said that last year was a pretty weak winter, but a pretty hot summer, so unknown how much was actual savings vs. less usage.

Bill is the same. Service is the same.

Posted · Report post

Thanks, just want a few more replies before making a decision. If or not to sign up for the program.

Posted · Report post

Trader D,

I'll echo what Luv Bug said on both gas and electric, pretty steady. The only issue we had was a period of time last year or the year before, I got snookered by some outfit out of Chicago (Future Now) who switched the natural gas from IGS thinking I was still on the aggregation program. Frankly, I don't think I actually agreed to switch but got switched. With quarterly even billing from Duke, you won't notice for a couple months in the winter then BOOM !! It took about 6 months to get even billing back to norm.

Yeah that "Future Now" outfit jacked up the rates (Yes, I said "jacked up") at a time when supplies of natural gas were at an all time high and prices were going down. I admit that I'm not very polite to telemarketers now calling and starting off "We're calling all Duke Energy customers...." Excuse me, but take us off your call list....click.

The Village's Program is with First Energy (for electric) and IGS (for natural gas)

Link to Village website about Energy Aggregation Program

Posted · Report post

The only issue we had was a period of time last year or the year before, I got snookered by some outfit out of Chicago (Future Now) who switched the natural gas from IGS thinking I was still on the aggregation program.

But that could happen to anyone and had nothing to do with being on the Village aggregation plan.

It was simply some company taking advantage of the elderly wink.gif

Posted · Report post

It was simply some company taking advantage of the elderly wink.gif

Ouch! That'll leave a mark. Thanks Luv Bug.... dry.gifdry.gifbiggrin.gif

Posted · Report post

I'm not very polite to telemarketers

Whenever I suspect a telemarketer is calling, I just hand the phone to my 2 year old grandson. After a few minutes conversing with the screaming meemie, they take me off the list, and I don't even have to ask.

post-9-1390181467.jpg

Posted (edited) · Report post

There was a recent WCPO-TV segment (Dont Waste Your Money) on the Duke Smart meter issue. The reporter said that homeowners can now opt out. Consumers can have the meter replaced, but at a steep price in order to have the new meter read each month. While watching the segment, I was reminded how Duke is doing something similar to offset the revenue lost from the gas/electric aggregation programs which are very popular now with many communities.

Local communities including Greenhills promote with few exceptions that their gas aggregation program has beaten Duke rates many months in a row which is great news, but what is not reported is that the gas aggregation savings are being lost by fixed monthly distribution costs assigned to the consumer. I am charged nearly $50/month for gas water heater usage during just a portion of the non-heating months. Duke charges a monthly fixed Delivery Fee ($33.03) + Delivery Rider ($9.00+) = $42.00+ regardless of actual CCF usage

My latest gas costs/usage (IGS is the Greenhills supplier):

June -        Duke         $42.57;   IGS  -    $4.10  =  $46.67 @ 11 CCF 
July  -        Duke         $42.43;   
IGS  -    $3.47  =  $45.90 @  9 CCF 
August  -    Duke         $42.24;   IGS  -    $2.97  =  $45.21 @  8 CCF 

During the August Greenhills council meeting, it was reported by the assistant Village Manager that 2016 year-to-date savings per residential account for Gas = $40.31 + Electric = $79.79 = $120.00+Just one month fixed cost noted above offsets savings from the entire year-to-date gas savings and three months delivery costs offset savings for year-to-date gas + electric together.  Following the savings report, the Village Mayor applied the $120 savings figure towards the recent change in garbage collection fees which was really disingenuous. IMHO

Given the fixed delivery/riders in place, there presents little benefit with the current alternate programs since savings earned during winter months are lost during non-heating months. There really needs to be some kind of usage cap limit defined using the non-heating months much the same as is used by Cincinnati Water Works on sewer charges. I think that homeowners should be made aware of these fixed costs when evaluating whether the gas/electric aggregation program is right for them.

Edited by Trampis

Posted · Report post

Pay attention to your Duke Bill as this has been updated:

http://www.greenhillsohio.us/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=119&Itemid=89

I called Duke because I had an extra $45 on my bill last month. I got mailers from both the aggregate and the village but skimmed over them. Big mistake. (I've gotten many over the years asking me to switch and never have.) So, I called Duke because I wanted to know what this $45 Electric Provider fee was about. She said the village chose an aggregate to supply the entire village as a savings to residents. But, I have to pay the switch fee? When I didn't ask to switch... And my savings over all was only $6 for the month.

So, $72 savings for the year. Minus the $45 fee. $27 overall. $2.25 a month.

Usually, you have to call and opt-in. This time, we had to opt out. I did not. Sneaky, sneaky, sneaky...can't let your guard down for a minute.