Meetings on NEW SCHOOLS

237 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

"Surfs building the lord's castle". I have never heard that one before. It is pretty good. Who, exactly, are the lords?

The fact of the matter is (and we know this) that ANY request for ANY amount will roundly be objected to by some folks. That is is your right. I certainly respect that fact that any amount for some is too much. This mantra about "test scores" is just the latest reason, but it is useful to justify a long held belief about Winton Woods.

The fact is that the schools that you own (like it or not) are going to need $64 million dollars in repairs/upgrades, etc. to meet safety codes, building codes, fire codes. You can say that you know a guy that can do it on barter, for free, you can get convict labor.. or whatever.. but the fact is....

You are going to have to pay for repairs to buildings that exist over the next 20 years.

I know that a lot of people will challenge the $64 million figure (and nobody has a problem with that), but to say that you are going to pour millions of dollars into your property with little return seems to make no sense.

Indeed, the forum last night agreed that a proposal that just puts out that kind of money just to repair aging buildings made little sense. I wonder what the thinking was when they built the current middle school (Greenhills HS).

Of course, I don't know how many of you were there then or last night.

Please attend the next forum on Monday, May 5th at the Greenhills Community Bldg. Share your ideas. Anybody can talk big on here. If the new construction plan is off the table, what plan can and will you support?

Certainly, the hard working taxpayers that built the middle school (then Greenhills HS) thought about the future of the village when that capital investment was made... and again, probably some viewed that as a frill.

Posted · Report post

Our parents told us back in the 90's that combining the two school districts would be the downfall of Greenhills. They also said that maybe it wouldn't happen in 10 years and maybe not 20 years, but it will happen. Here we are 23 years later with a damn mess. The school board should be ashamed of themselves.

A roof is leaking in the library and their fix is to hang a tarp? Are you kidding me! Next they will be asking for new books because all the books were ruined because of the leaky roof. So tired of all the whining and complaining and absolutely nothing is being done that makes sense. Why are these buildings not being repaired as needed?

Warrior, please do not respond. You are a Greenhills council person and you should be absolutely livid that this is happening in this community.

Should have listened to my parents!

Posted · Report post

Where can I get the detailed estimates that make up the $64 million for repairs?

Posted · Report post

I'm sure that they can be accessed somehow for public inspection.

Posted · Report post

Pool Lover, correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't the school districts combined before the 1990's? The high schools were combined 23 years ago. Did Forest Park ever exist as its own district or has it always been attached to Greenhills? I know that FP is the "younger brother" of Greenhills.

Certainly, Hamilton (fifteen times the size of GH) went from two High Schools to one back around 1980. Springfield (same size as Hamilton) consolidated into two HS about two years ago. I don't know of too many schools (outside rural areas) where a community with a population of 4,000 can support their own school district. I imagine that there are a few around, but where? Wouldn't you think that the combination of the two High Schools would have been inevitable at some point?

That being said, I respect the contributions of the Pioneers to what we have today. I wish that more of them would be involved in making us an even better place. It seems that so many sit on the sidelines when there are a lot of talented people there that can make a difference. Same with the SOTL folks that will have no part of us.

Bear in mind, we have a new Supt, three new board members. New principals, etc.

I hope you show up at the next forum. It will be right there in Greenhills. All the brass should be there.

Posted · Report post

the idea that a roof cannot be repaired or replaced until its scheduled time is absurd and just shows us how stupid you must think we are.

If I put a roof on my house and planned for it to last 25 years and it started leaking after 10-15-20 years, I would be a damn fool not to repair it.

The same holds true for the school district.

Posted · Report post

I'm sure that they can be accessed somehow for public inspection.

I'm asking for the detail for the $64 million. Whoever came up with that number must have the details. Would this be a records request from the district?

Posted · Report post

believe the 64M is expressed as 3.2 million/year for 20 years for projects outside the district's present schedule of maintenance/replacement?

While we're at it....I would be curious to find out the cost

allocated for maintenance for the NEW buildings also.

The fact is that the schools that you own (like it or not) are going to need $64 million dollars in repairs/upgrades, etc. to meet safety codes, building codes, fire codes.

Well now...there it is! This is the kind of thing I have

been posting all along. Comprehensive Plans, Zoning,

International Codes and other regulations trying to move people

into actions they normaly wouldn't agree too.

A t least now we can understand what I've been saying....Right?

So...Along with the above price tags requested above, can we

see these new codes for EXISTING school buildings?

Thanks! biggrin.gif

Posted · Report post

Christine - you may contact Steve Denny for the information you are requesting.

619-2400 or denny.steve@wintonwoods.org.

Posted · Report post

the idea that a roof cannot be repaired or replaced until its scheduled time is absurd and just shows us how stupid you must think we are.

If I put a roof on my house and planned for it to last 25 years and it started leaking after 10-15-20 years, I would be a damn fool not to repair it.

The same holds true for the school district.

And I'm sure this roof will be repaired in short order. That is just not something that can done in the middle of winter. But it is an example of facility aging.

Roofs, whether flat or shingled (as on homes) have a life limit. Even the best roof the district ever had, the copper roof on the Community Building, had a limit (called Hurricane Ike). It was tarped and protected before a new roof could be secured and that was an insurance job.

Large flat roofs, such as what schools have , cost a lot. Look at the scheduled replacements on the links for example. These have to go through the bid process.

Specifications met, sometimes bonding. We aren't talking about Dazed and ladder with a couple squares of shingles.

And correct, there has only been one school district since 1938 and it is the same district we have now, same service area and the same buildings. The consolidation of the high schools in 1991 has nothing to do with this.

And you SHOULD listen to your parents, you're lucky to have them. I listen to them too. biggrin.gif

Posted · Report post

And I'm sure this roof will be repaired in short order. That is just not something that can done in the middle of winter. But it is an example of facility aging.

Roofs, whether flat or shingled (as on homes) have a life limit. Even the best roof the district ever had, the copper roof on the Community Building, had a limit (called Hurricane Ike). It was tarped and protected before a new roof could be secured and that was an insurance job.

Large flat roofs, such as what schools have , cost a lot. Look at the scheduled replacements on the links for example. These have to go through the bid process.

Specifications met, sometimes bonding. We aren't talking about Dazed and ladder with a couple squares of shingles.

And correct, there has only been one school district since 1938 and it is the same district we have now, same service area and the same buildings. The consolidation of the high schools in 1991 has nothing to do with this.

And you SHOULD listen to your parents, you're lucky to have them. I listen to them too. biggrin.gif

I know it is irrelevant here but how much money did the district get back from recycling the beautiful COPPER roof from the Community Building. I do remember the Greenhills Police standing guard all night after Ike. I realize the roof was covered by insurance.....just curious

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=101...&type=1&theater

Posted · Report post

I don't believe the district got anything back as whatever the scrap value was held against the insurance claim by the insurance carrier. Same as salvage value on a car or other property item.

Posted · Report post

sure we'll fix it, just let us take a picture of it so we can cast a shadow on the existing buildings when we push for $100m+ for new buildings.

anybody with a week of sales experience can recognize what is happening here.

Posted · Report post

Just a question for everyone. If your roof was leaking anytime of the year would you just hang a tarp in your home and let water continue to leak into your home, possibly causing more problems? I would think not. Disgraceful.

Posted · Report post

I don't know of too many schools (outside rural areas) where a community with a population of 4,000 can support their own school district.

Lockland

Posted · Report post

Just a question for everyone. If your roof was leaking anytime of the year would you just hang a tarp in your home and let water continue to leak into your home, possibly causing more problems? I would think not. Disgraceful.

And yeah, we sitting around arguing about when is the best time to fix a flat roof leak when that isn't the even the question.

And yeah, there probably are a few folks on here that have a semi-bad roof that haven't or can't fix it because they don't have a husband handy enough (like you do) to fix it. And if he couldn' get to it right away, I bet he'd use a tarp too.

I'm sorry, I have to tell a funny story that just hit me. When we bought our house here in Greenhills back in 1982 (several years before the HS combined I might add.....but I digress), the previous owner had some stuff stored in the attic crawl space that I really didn't think to much about. One of the items was a pliable hard side plastic kiddie pool. Well, fast forward a couple years and during or after a really hard rain, it became readily apparent the pool was in there for storage....but to catch a formally unknown leak. huh.gif

Yes, we had a new roof put on a couple of months later. biggrin.gif

Posted · Report post

Lockland

Which has GE and bunch of other commercial properties, a much higher percentage than WW and will probably be forced to merge with Reading in time.

Posted · Report post

Which has GE and bunch of other commercial properties, a much higher percentage than WW and will probably be forced to merge with Reading in time.

Evendale is in the Princeton district. GE closed and leveled the parts of their plant that were in Lockland. (off shepherd lane)

http://www.locklandschools.org/districtNew....aspx?artID=808

Posted · Report post

Again...who is responsible for starting the campaign

for new schools?

Where are these new codes and regs that render

our existing schools unable/too expensive to repair??

Posted · Report post

WWWarrior, is this district at a point where it needs to consider merging? A bond levy plus a soon to follow operating levy is going to add a substantial tax burden.

Posted · Report post

WWWarrior, is this district at a point where it needs to consider merging? A bond levy plus a soon to follow operating levy is going to add a substantial tax burden.

With whom?

Given the current process for funding schools in Ohio, how does the district (or any district) propose to avoid any future property tax increases? The taxes are already high relative to others in Hamilton County. While that has been historically true for decades, the primary reason is the reason we choose to live here...very little commercial properties, lots of parks, churches, mostly all modest residential area.

Est. Annual Cost by School District for $100K Home Value - Hamilton County

1) Finneytown $1,836.58

2) Madeira $1,631.28

3) St. Bernard $1,629.58

4) Mariemont $1,611.59

5) Winton Woods $1,586.51

6) Cincinnati $1,469.72

7) Mt. Healthy $1,460..48

8) Deer Park $1,455.40

9) Wyoming $1,418.61

10) Loveland $1,377.32

Given the current economics of the situation, as some might suggest, how much more tax than we currently endure, would it be for Greenhills to "go it alone"? This was actively debated 20+ years ago. Would the State even allow this idea? This would be the State of Ohio School Board's call.

In relative size vs. most school districts in Ohio our 3,500 student population puts about average in the middle. Lockland is considerably smaller, I think around 800 total.

Posted · Report post

WWWarrior, add in the cost of a bond levy (7.25-8.5 mils) and an assumed 4 mil operating and what are the numbers for Winton Woods?

Posted · Report post

Well, you're making a whole bunch of assumptions and not necessarily considering that other districts will move up in relative cost as well. But, if by chance...and that's a big chance, they would pass...pretty close to where Finneytown is now...high $300 to $425/yr. by 2017. Given that the district suggests they can hold off on Operating levy till 2016.

Mirth? What???? You can ask a bunch of questions and get answers, but you can't answer mine?

With whom? (or better yet, how would that benefit) How do you avoid property tax increases?

Seems to me the whole DeRolph lawsuit was about the over dependance of funding schools by local tax property tax and yet the State continued to reduce their funding of schools, even when they had a Constitutional obligation to do so? Found deficient FOUR TIMES by the Ohio Supreme Court and it's still an issue?

Posted · Report post

Dazed beat me to it.

So again...Lockland.