Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

To Pray Or Not To Pray........

8 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

That is indeed the modern question...

The Mad Botanist.

Posted · Report post

Since the article appeared in the Greenhills Journal regarding public prayer, it will be interesting to see how many respond to Council asking that "Prayer" be reinserted into the council rules.

If very few respond, it will be strong evidence that the Christian community in Greenhills is primarily a "SOC" community "Sunday Only Christians".

Cicero

Posted · Report post

Greenhills is primarily a "SOC" community "Sunday Only Christians".

I wish I could disagree, but I do have hope that will change. smile.gif

Posted · Report post

Hair,

One line to Council's email, or....one stamp for the the snail mail, or...use your 2 minutes in front of Council...that's all it takes...and 4 churches around us...Hair, what do you think?

Sincerely,

The Mad Botanist.

Posted · Report post

...Hair, what do you think?

Sincerely,

Maybe I don't understand your question.

Is this a commentary about 4 WHOLE church congregations not stepping

up for prayer or one tin-foil Christian speaking for them?

Posted · Report post

It is my understanding that a motion will be made to include Prayer in the Rules of Council, June 24, 2014 at 7:00 PM. The debate may prove interesting and informative.

Cicero

Posted · Report post

To follow up on Cicero's reply, the Greenhills Council meeting of June 24th concerning prayer at meetings WAS interesting and informative.

An amendment to Rules of Council was brought up by Councilwoman Waltherr-Willard that had restrictive language about prayer at meetings that many of us felt was a step in the wrong direction. I find the language in that amendment troubling as it restricts who can speak and who chooses the speakers.

I urge everyone to check out the video of the meeting online. Four concerned citizens spoke about prayer at meetings. (I spoke second.)

Thankfully, before we citizens spoke Councilman Halter had already wrote up an amendment that calls for "A moment of silent reflection, a prayer, or a word of inspiration may be offered" at any Council meeting.

The language in this amendment gives all in Greenhills a voice, instead of being dictated to by a select few. I support this amendment, and I hope you will do the same.

By the next Council meeting in July, they will be voting on an amendment to the Rules. There is overwhelming support to add "prayer" back into Rules of Council. So residents need not worry - putting prayer back into the Rules of Council is going to happen. However, I am happy that it sounds like prayer, a moment of silence, and words of inspiration will all be welcome.

Posted · Report post

Since this is a matter of public debate, there is nothing to preclude any citizen from suggesting language for the amendment reinserting prayer back into rules of council.

If someone does not like what has been proposed, they should feel perfectly free to write up a version that they might be comfortable with and submit it to council.

Ultimately the majority of council will have to decide whether to insert the word prayer again, and if so, the language that will be used.

The United States Supreme Court stated that prayer was permissible and not against the establishment clause if used before a public meeting of a legislative body. It did not, and could not, properly specify what form the prayer should take.

Cicero