Bond Issue Information

351 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Wow! I had a chance to take a look at this ballot and I all I can say is, WOW!

Tax renewals? Levies? More money leaving hard working American pockets.

When will it end?

Never. Bad politicians and dirty lobbyists.

The meek will indeed inherit the earth as long as we have politicians and no volunteers.

GO BUCKS, you owe me money! I expect to get repaid. Hypnotiq wants their money.

Posted · Report post

Any update on the deleted information?

Posted · Report post

Any update on the deleted information?

It appears that the hosting company suffered some sort of drive failure and had to resort to a tape backup recovery. So my apologies as we are not expecting to recover the lost posts.

Posted · Report post

Wow! I had a chance to take a look at this ballot and I all I can say is, WOW!

Tax renewals? Levies? More money leaving hard working American pockets.

When will it end?

I believe that most people have decided how they are going to vote on the the various tax levies. While most are renewals a no vote, will add money to our pocket. All I remember is that the year President Obama was first elected my tax bill went up over $300.00 that year. That is is $300 x 6 years = 1800.00. That is $1800 that I sure good of used and will never get back. I will be voting no on many of these levies and tax issues.

Posted · Report post

First of all, I did a search on websites that are powered by Invision Power Board and the five sites I checked seem to have all their data from the month of October, it may be worthwhile to check with Invision again. This levy is important to the community of Greenhills, so dialogue and debate is critical. Let people vote how they will, however thoughts and opinions need to be shared. Secondly, I just came from a volleyball game at the Winton Woods High School. Here's what I saw; a beautiful school that has not been properly maintained, the entrance is incredible, no comparison to other "private" schools that I have been in. The railings on the gym are a wobbly disaster, that's why they invented "screws". The gum and stains on the concrete steps can be taken care of by something we at our school like to call "elbow grease". Tonight confirmed for me that the district is short a "screw". In fact, they are short many screws, which costs significantly less than $110,000,000 (MILLION DOLLARS). We may not be able to get the data posted previously, however I think EQ put it best when he stated that Forest Park is at a "poverty level" comparable to the "poverty level" of Greenhills. "Poverty Level" is an indicator of not being able to absorb $70,000,000 (MILLION DOLLARS) in ADDITIONAL taxes.

A simple program that the district can implement is to hire students to clean. That's how we do it. 20 kids, per quarter, 2 hours per day. 40 resource hours per day to maintain what you have, at minimum wage = $310 per day in wages.

The district needs to take pride in what it has and maintain it. NO VOTE FROM ME.

Posted · Report post

First of all, I did a search on websites that are powered by Invision Power Board and the five sites I checked seem to have all their data from the month of October, it may be worthwhile to check with Invision again.

thanks for the heads up on Invision, but that is not how it works. Each Invision site is hosted by it's own hosting company and not by Invision. The company that I use leases hardware from a larger hosting site, this is a common practice as far as site hosting goes. There was a hardware failure that resulted in us going back to the latest backup tape available.

I could move to a plan that include daily tape backups, but that would cost more $$$. I am barely able to afford the plan that I have, so I cannot afford to step up my plan.

The data has been lost and I apologize for that.

Posted · Report post

Thanks for the explanation Uncle.

It's somewhat disheartening that such a major Bond Issue for the community had such as short blurb in the Greenhills Journal. I was anticipating a large article written from a council member highlighting the facts of the Bond Issue. If I were a "distrusting" person I would think the district and Greenhills council is trying to slip this one by the voters. At any rate, there is a site Improve Academics First in Winton Woods City Schools that is in opposition of the levy. The petition states:

Sign the Petition to Show Your Support For Academic PROGRESS. Tell our leaders academically competitive schools districts build strong communities.

The past decade has shown a steady decline in the academic performance of the Winton Woods City School District . This continual erosion of our district negatively impacts our entire community.

We reside in one of the highest taxed neighborhoods in the region and to date, we have not seen the impact of our considerable investment to build strong schools and our communities remain in a weakened state.

OUR CURRENT CONTEXT

In 2009 taxpayers voted to approve a $42 million dollar tax levy to support the district’s promise to strengthen the academic foundation of students among other campaign promises. However, an analysis of the data shows unfulfilled promises and no significant advancement of our academic position in over a decade. Additionally, the 2013-14 Ohio Department of Education State Report Card once again shows an overall decline in the performance factors the state uses to assess district quality.

Despite our investment, it is clear the district has not delivered on its promise to improve student achievement and the academic standing of the district continues to lag. These results are unacceptable and it is our expectation to see district-wide improvement before approving any additional financial requests for new buildings or a renewal of the current operating levy in 2019.

The failure to make progress for over a decade has eroded the public’s trust. We can't keep throwing money at the problem. We challenge our parents and community to demand more; more academic resources, more respect of our stakeholder’s investments, more effective leadership, and more progress.

It is with broad community support that we issue a vote of no confidence of board members who have been in place throughout this decline. We further challenge our new school board members and the superintendent (2013) to do the following:

• Provide the necessary tools for learning, starting with books, for students and parents to be active participants in the learning process.

• Develop and communicate a strategic plan to improve student achievement by the end of the 2014-15 school year.

• Ensure the entire staff is culturally competent in working with diverse student/parent populations.

• Provide a quarterly progress report on achievement to the entire community.

• Build a culture that promotes community cohesiveness and is respectful of all stakeholders.

In exchange for making sustained progress, we will pool our resources in support of the district’s academically focused initiatives, support future requests for financial investments to improve academics, assist in building a community culture supportive of educational initiatives.

Until progress is made, we will continue to engage district leaders and our community on the above issues. In the meantime, our community will issue its own Score Card on Progress and assess the district's responsiveness to our expressed desire for improvement, partnerships, collaboration and transparency.

Posted · Report post

The fact is, even with progress, these communities cannot support these taxes. We need to maintain what we have, there are no alternatives. But there are options, which include taking the "developmental" approach. An approach adopted by private schools and one of the most successful Cincinnati public schools in the country "Walnut Hills". Our demographics are "prime" for this approach.

Posted · Report post

Christine,

I don't really think that anyone is trying to "slip" anything past the voters. Folks are well aware that the NO crowd (to their credit) will show up in their usual big numbers.

As you can see, very few of the pro-bond issue crowd is trying to win over the junedale bunch. It's called smart marketing. Who knows why I have been posting here over the last seven years.

Why do you need your own "scorecard" though? That state said we are an "F". Do you think we deserve a "G"? Maybe an "H+"?

It is an interesting group of people that signed that petition. Some of them have been seeking attention for years. Maybe they will get the glory they desire in this campaign. God bless em! Even more interestingly, Christine, is that I DO NOT see your signature among the 37 listed. I get it though.

Posted · Report post

I don't sign petitions, same reason I'm an Independent, but I will bring it to the attention to others. And "slip past the voters" is a pretty effective marketing tool. It's important that people are aware that there is a Bond Issue on the ballot. And it's important that people go out an vote.

It's the village's responsibility that residents of Greenhills are informed. The goal is always to get 100% participation from registered voters. There are (2) means of effective communication for the village; Greenhills Journal and One Call. The City Manager, or a council member, should have written an unbiased article highlighting exactly what the Bond Issue is and laying out the facts as it relates to our residents. That was not done. One Call should be used to inform residents that a Bond Levy is out there and encourage all residents to vote on November 4th. That's still an option and I encourage everyone to write the City Manager and Council to let them know that it's their responsibility to get this completed. If you look at the Greenhills Website http://www.greenhillsohio.us/ there should be something "front and center". I know there is a "Harvest Fest" and I know I "shouldn't put off exterior repairs", but aside front that, I have no idea that I may be hit with a huge "bill" if Forest Park voters wish it so. They control (3) communities. Our residents need to be informed. It's the job of Council, Mayor and City Manager to get it done. Don't allow your personal opinions to get in the way of your elected responsibilities.

Posted · Report post

Christine,

You have said some pretty ridiculous things on the school thread in the last 10 years and this one is at least a Top 5.

Name for me once since 1991 when Council/Mayor has taken a public position on a school issue, other than encouraging voters to vote? You can't because they haven't. Why? Because it isn't proper for one local political entity to make comment upon the other. Should the School Board take a position on the Streets & Roads levy renewal? Of course not.

Each entity, if you pardon the expression, must mind their own business. GH Council has no sway over WWCS, nor does the schools have a say over Council. Who does? You the voters and YOUR individual responsibility to be an informed voter. In fact, that's your duty as a citizen and NOT some elected official to tell you how you should vote. And it is NOT our elected responsibility!!!

How do you get informed? Read, attend meetings, and dare I say discuss on Junedale or across the fence with a neighbor. Its in the papers and online, just as any other issue on the ballot.... and yard signs, plus probably door handouts soon.

Frankly, you haven't been paying much attention to council meetings, as if you did you would have heard both public comment and individual council members comment on the school bond issue. Heck, I got critical email messages for mentioning that the bond issue was going to be on the ballot in my Intergovernmental Affairs Committee report.

Oh, and fact is in the 2004 and 2009 levy campaigns Greenhills voted 'for' each and was just as important to those passages as Forest Park. However, I think your complaint is for not as I really don't think the votes are there for passage of this bond issue and the legitimate concern with an operating levy need in the near future.

Posted · Report post

Within a month the entire matter will be moot at least for awhile because the issue will have either passed or failed. Early voting has already started.

I would be very surprised if this bond issue passes. I suspect a significant number of home owners will vote against it this time. I suspect that if it passes it will be because of the large number of renters and non home owners in the district- there is no reason why those types would not vote for it because it will not be coming out of their pockets. At least that is the way they will think. The fact that their rent might be raised because of the bond issue passage probably will not occur to most of them.

Cicero

Posted · Report post

Name for me once since 1991 when Council/Mayor has taken a public position on a school issue, other than encouraging voters to vote?

Re-read my post. I asked for an UNBIASED report from someone in administration and a One Call from the village to let people know it's on the ballot, the goal of 100% participation. As for "how do you get informed?" Greenhills Administration needs to use the two most effective tools we have available to us; Greenhills Journal and One Call. I never asked anyone to take a position. With regards to reports, according to the Journal, I know that your committee moved its meeting to Sept. 29 due to conflicts, and that you asked Chief Ferdelman to help you guys review the vicious animal ordinance, and that the street and roads levy renewal is listed as Issue 23 in the next election. But, I don't see anywhere that there is a Bond Issue asking for $76,663,462 MILLION DOLLARS.

Posted · Report post

Re-read my post. I asked for an UNBIASED report from someone in administration and a One Call from the village to let people know it's on the ballot, the goal of 100% participation. Greenhills Administration needs to use the two most effective tools we have available to us; Greenhills Journal and One Call. I never asked anyone to take a position. As for the reports, according to the Journal, I know that your committee moved its meeting to Sept. 29 due to conflicts, and that you asked Chief Ferdelman to help you guys review the vicious animal ordinance, and that the street and roads levy renewal is listed as Issue 23 in the next election. But, I don't see anywhere that there is a Bond Issue asking for $76,663,462 MILLION DOLLARS.

Christine, this may be my favorite post from you ever. Hilarious.

On a serious note. I am appalled at this bond issue and cannot believe we even have to vote on such nonsense.

My vote, HELL NO

Posted · Report post

I think what Christine is asking isn't too much. Put a one call out simply reminding people that they are urged to vote. No vote yes or no... just DON'T FORGET TO VOTE !!! Other wise were going to get the ever popular 35% turnout.... I know quite a few people who are looking elsewhere if this passes. Greenhills can't afford to be nothing but renters.

Posted · Report post

Question: Why is a bond issue needed & what are the benefits to our students?

Our schools are between forty and fifty years old and are reaching the end of their operational lifespans. The six current front-line schools were constructed mostly during the housing boom in our area in the late 1960’s and early 1970’s. They were designed for a different era and are outdated by modern educational facilities standards. An independent state assessment of our current school facilities issued facility grades of “D” and “F” in 2011 for all of our schools with a facility grade of “F” overall for our district. Classrooms spaces are often undersized and specialized spaces for special needs students or English language learners are insufficient. This is not ideal to meet the educational needs of the learners of today. The infrastructure of our buildings is not conducive to supporting modern technology or capable of supporting expanded electrical service for more modern and efficient HVAC systems. This costs the district valuable dollars and does not provide adequate temperature control or airflow into our buildings per modern state standards for schools. Finally, the design & layout of our current schools limits handicapped accessibility and does not provide modern security designs to guard against some of the catastrophic events that have transpired in other schools across our nation.

The implementation of the district’s Facility Master Plan will impact all students and families in our schools in the following ways:

• School transitions for all students will be decreased from four to one

• Improve security & safety through effective modern design

• Alleviate overcrowding in many of our classrooms and buildings

• Grant high school course access to middle school-age students

• Create shared community spaces

• Reduce operational year-to-year costs — at Winton Woods City School District.

Posted · Report post

Question: Why is now the right time to pursue a bond issue?

This is an opportunity for our community to accept financial assistance ($33 million) from the state to improve our schools for our children today and for those who will attend in the future. State funding is not guaranteed beyond the 13 month approval window, and the program may cease to exist in future years. There has never been a better time for Winton Woods City Schools and the community to take advantage of this opportunity from the State to begin a building project to replace our buildings and redesign the district for our children. In fact, it may be the only time. — at Winton Woods City School District.

Posted · Report post

Question: How is a bond issue different from an operating levy?

The money that is generated from an operating levy is used for the day-to-day operations of the district. A Bond Issue is a way to generate money to fund capital projects. The money that is generated from a bond issue can ONLY be used to fund the cost of construction. None of the funds generated from the bond issue can be used for operating costs, salaries or benefits. — at Winton Woods City School District.

Posted · Report post

Did you know? Building new schools will actually save valuable operating dollars for years to come?

If new schools are built, the district and community would save an estimated $1.5 million each year for the next 50 or more years in the efficiency gained from modern design and consolidation. This means being able to extend requests to taxpayers for operating levies further into the future.

It also means that over the course of more than 50 years, the typical life of school facilities, the new schools would essentially pay for themselves. At a rate of $1.5 million in savings each year (in 2013 dollars), over $75 million in savings would accrue over the anticipated lifespan of the new schools. This very nearly approaches the local share of the cost of the project ($78 million).

Vote YES on Issue 3 this November 4th for this is a very sound investment that will benefit our students and our community for many years to come.

Posted · Report post

Question: What is the plan if the bond issue is approved?

The Facility Master Plan or FMP is as follows:

• Build a new Pre-K through 6th Grade elementary school on the current

Winton Woods Middle School campus in Greenhills

• Build a new 7th – 12th Grade secondary school on the current Winton

Woods High School campus in Forest Park

• Close & abandon six current schools

• Develop a building & land use plan with community member, business

partner and municipal leader input under the direction of the Board of Education. — at Winton Woods City School District.

Posted · Report post

Question: Who came up with this Facility Master Plan?

The Winton Woods City Schools Facility Master Plan (FMP) was developed with consideration given to teaching & learning as well as to financial operations. From January 2011 to October 2012, over 500 representatives from local businesses, students, parents, staff members, municipal leaders, recent alumni and community members from all three communities in our school system participated in the process and provided input at over thirty different community events.

The following planning objectives and priorities were established for the FMP:

• Facilities reflect a commitment to education and community

• Higher education focus by grade 7, access to high school courses in 7 & 8

• Alleviate overcrowding and frequent transitions for students

• Operationally efficient – larger schools with smaller learning communities

• Sustainable & green building construction, maintenance and operation

• Community/shared/collaborative facilities & spaces

• Facilities central to population/geography – hubs of our communities — at Winton Woods City School District.

Posted · Report post

Question: What is the total cost of the project?

The total cost of the project is $110,148,020. The State share that will be provided through the Ohio Facility Construction Commission (OFCC) is $33,048,847. The share the bond issue (local community share) will generate is $76,663,462. — at Winton Woods City School District.

Posted · Report post

Question: What is the timeline for the project if the bond issue should pass?

If the bond issue passes on November 4, 2014, the district will begin the engagement process with parents, community members, students and staff in the design phase for the new facilities. Construction would begin in 2016, and it is projected that the new schools will open to students in the fall of 2019. — at Winton Woods City School District.

Posted · Report post

Question: What if the bond issue fails?

If the bond issue is not approved by August of 2015, the community will be unable to participate in the co-funded program through the OFCC, thus forfeiting the $33 million provided by the state. The OFCC funding is not guaranteed and may cease to exist in upcoming years. If the residents of Winton Woods City Schools determine in future years to proceed with new construction, the community will have to pay the full amount of the project. Further, the facility needs facing our schools will not go away. We are at a point in time where something must be done. Our current schools are nearing the end of their operational lifespans. The total cost to repair our schools to a local standard (not state’s standard) over the next 15 to 20 years is an estimated $68,000,000 while it is $76,000,000 to build new to the higher state standard. It is for this reason that the OFCC supports building new schools. Repairs will take money from student programs unless new levies are passed. — at Winton Woods City School District.