Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Winton Woods Bond Levy, Round 2

49 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

WWW are you serious? You have been spending too much time with Alice in Wonderland.

In the real world we live in, there are serious problems, and one of ours, is our failing school district.

Public Records are just that. Public Records are by definition open to the public.

There is a reason that the law requires financial disclosure of contributors, it is at least one way the public can keep track of the shennanigans involved in the electoral process.

The name of the "F" section resident that is listed as "Treasurer "and signed the forms has not been mentioned, but is a matter of record. I suppose he has not been officially " outed" yet at least in this forum.

Isn"t nice when the doors to the cloak room are opened and all the cigar smoke spews forth?

Let us hear it for Democracy !!!!!

Cicero

Posted · Report post

I don't see how it's a witch hunt to name who contributed. The reason they are "public records" is to keep everyone on the up-and-up. I don't see why anyone would be upset for others to know they contributed to a cause if it's a cause they passionately support. Why keep that a secret?

The only people with a reason to be concerned about public record laws regarding campaign contributions are those with something to hide, in my opinion. For example, if contractors with a financial motive are contributing to the bond issue in order to line their pockets, they probably don't want the voters to know about that, but that's exactly the type of information that should be shared.

It seems there is a double standard going on here, because a neighbor of mine with an anti-bond sign during the last election said a pro-bond person took a picture of him in his yard, and that other neighbors had similar incidents. (I was surrounded by anti-bond signs - our house was the only one without a 'NO' sign - so guess who got a talking to when the 'YES' side was being creepy?) Stalking people and taking their photos sounds a lot more intrusive than sharing public records of campaign contributions.

I want new schools for our kids, but I have concerns about some of those leading the YES campaign. Recently, they censored a Winton Woods parent on their Facebook page who was asking questions. Rather than answering him and having a give-and-take discussion about it, they deleted his posts. He was not against the bond, but now he is, so that was really a stupid move on the part of the administrator of the pro-bond Facebook page.

They not only lost his vote, but probably many others, because he is telling others how the pro-bond group is totalitarian in censoring questions and discussion, which raises serious concerns that these people can't be trusted and may continue this same totalitarian attitude when it comes to the new buildings.

The pro side needs to get its act together and stop ostracizing parents and taxpayers if they want to have a chance to pass the bond. They need to seek to gain the support of the parents and voters, not make enemies of anyone who even dares to ask a question.

While I think the students would benefit from new buildings, I have trouble supporting secretive and non-inclusive behavior from those in charge on the pro side of the bond issue, and I worry they may continue this non-inclusive behavior once the bond passes and we're into the design/build phase. Will they again censor input from parents, students, and taxpayers, resulting in elaborate, expensive buildings that do not meet the students' needs or have their best interests at heart?

Posted · Report post

" expensive buildings that do not meet the students' needs or have their best interests at heart?"

A case can be made that we currently HAVE expensive buildings that do not meet the needs of students or have their best interests at heart....but I digress.

My concern was not that public information is public. My concern is this effort by some to play "GOTCHA", to make accusations of employer pressure where there is no indication of such, the "outing" (Cicero's words) of the current Treasurer of CEPSI.....never mind that the last two campaign treasurers were also from Greenhills and the persons name are plastered on every yard sign or piece of literature (unlike the obviously coordinated Vote No effort). The suggestions of "shenanigans" and "smoke filled cloak rooms". Please ????

Read what the two people said and tell me honestly that their intent was not to cast unfair and unflattering characterizations of a business or individual. If you can tell me that honestly, then I will shut up.

I'm not on Facebook so I really have no idea what that is all about, but that does sound like there are two sides to that story. Nor will my name be on the list of contributors or care if it were. Nor do I think that with the Forest Park Fire Levy on the same ballot in May that this bond effort stands a snowballs chance of passing.

Posted · Report post

Ahha ! A PAC. I knew it, its a PAC

Ohhhh.....let's go rooting through the Board of Election records. Just what everyone does with their free time.

Here, let's jazz up the story and allege employer pressure, yeah, that's the ticket. If it's not good enough, we'll just make it up...but we'll never know????

Oh My Gosh, they've got someone in the Village??!!!! And in the "F" section too!

Classy. Has all of the earmarks of you know who. And I don't mean Equalizer.

You make some valid discussion points with your last post.

However, I believe you are very sensitive about this issue and are being a bit myopic on this issue.

I could have easily posted the public information which I have. But, I didn't because I don't see the overall gain in doing so. I do believe as well that the freedom of information act is important. And, you being tied into the politics of Greenhills should absolutely agree about the importance of transparency in government, elections, etc.

What people choose to do with their free time is their business. You or I may not agree with it, but it's their time. Some people hang out in bars on their free time. Some people hang out in libraries. Some people sit in the park and stare out into space.

I absolutely know for a FACT that teachers at the school have been pressured by administration to do things like donate money. I KNOW for a FACT.

Just to let you know, I will have a sign placed in my yard with my opinion on Issue 3. I won't be putting a campaign committee notice on it either. I have cameras on my house. If a person is captured on video on my property it will take a picture and send it to my phone. They will be prosecuted.

Freedom can be taken away by those in government who don't understand transparency. Luckily, in America we can still vote.

Posted · Report post

Myopic....maybe, maybe not, but I admit that I come at the issue from a different angle and with a bit more background than most.

Transparency in government? I have no problem with it, although a great deal of time, money, paper, and effort goes into providing that. One has to wonder if all that takes place to provide is for the common good or simply to satisfy the desires of a very few grandstanding gadflies who could really care less about what is being "transpired" versus someone making the expensive effort to provide it to them. The Sunshine Law expectations, civility and common courtesy should be present on both sides of that transaction. Unfortunately, that is not always the case.

Let me point out something. I really didn't see a whole lot of people come out and defend Equalizer's previous comments. If you found those to be unfair, then why stoop to the same level?

Oh, and teachers being encouraged, they get encouraged to support the Educational Foundation too, or to take funds out of their own pocket to provide student supplies or help those in need. They do these things because they are teachers; examples. Aren't we encouraged this time of year to contribute to the United Way, to buy cookies, to file our taxes, to recycle....

Posted · Report post

Like it or not, thanks to modern technology, we all live in a fish bowl,and at some point no matter what we do,it will become transparent.

I have personnally not given the name of the treasurer of the PAC in Greenhills and have no intention of doing so on this forum. It is however, a matter of public record.

The Consensus that the discussion regarding the Bond Issue has been less than Civil at times is correct. This is to be expected since millions of dollars are at stake along with the household budgets of the home owners in the district.

Frankly, I have not heard of anyone opposing the Bond Issue tearing down signs or photographing yards with signs. In this regard,it would appear that those who oppose the Bond Issue have staked out the higher ground.

Emotions are high and will stay high because of the magnitude of what is being asked and the less than stellar performance of the school system.

This whole matter is , and will be bitterly contested and emotions will run high at times.

Like it or not, these are still hard times, especially for the Baby Boomers just now approaching retirement with a lot less income and assets than they thought they would have. Life styles as well as livelyhoods are at stake.

The Board of Education did not take many factors into account when a few on the Board pushed this Bond Issue debacle.

Cicero

Posted · Report post

The fact that this PAC has been around for nearly 30 years is not the discussion.

No one is "oohing and aaahing".

Others on this board name names. Equalizer threw a certain Council person under the bus over the school bond issue and her case wasn't even related to it. So, who is really throwing the pitchforks and who is really trying to making the "oohing and aahing"?

Frankly, it doesn't even "ooh and aaah" me to see some of the names on the contributors list. As Cicero pointed out in an earlier post, there are several contractors who would directly gain monetarily if this bond issue passes. Does it surprise me to see this type of activity? No. Frankly, it's the same old crap that continues to go on in this country. People with a business interest (lobby) getting involved in civic/social responsibilities.

Equalizer didn't throw Maria Waltherr-Willard under the bus. This would assume that she was on our side at one time and I went and made comments about her as an act of betrayal.

That is what "throw her under the bus" means Real Talk.

Again, I didn't file a lawsuit.

I am not an officeholder that is running for the Republican nomination for GH Village Council.

But....

I can tell you that CEPSI has received donations from almost the entire staff. The amount is close to $6000.. and that was JUST FROM TEACHERS. A "challenge" was put out by the teachers to have the administration "match that". No pressure. I was there when the challenge was made. One admin. took out the checkbook and wrote a check on the spot.

Too bad we don't have bigger checkbooks LOL!

The Willard family's comments in community forums and in print have inspired us. I didn't think we would break a grand. Even if the bond issue fails, the Willards and their minions have helped galvanize the teaching staff.

Didn't think that would ever happen.

I imagine ole Thad will do what he does best and file his FOIA requests to find out who donated what.

We only hope he publicly displays ALL of the names on that list smile.gif

Posted · Report post

EQ. as the Sargeant in Arms of the Teachers Union, I am certain you are fully aware that the Teachers Union gave at least $1,000.00 to support the Bond Issue.

There was no "Betrayal" by anyone in the Willard familly, I believe their position was made perfectly clear at the first Board of Education Meeting wherein the Bond Issue was discussed. Their opposition has been consistent since that time. This position has been stated orally and and in writing.

If the teachers are galvanized, great, maybe they can direct some that energy to their primary profession-TEACHING.

Your attempted defense of your character assassination of a person who opposed your view, is indefensible. Character Assassination is a tactic often used by Left Wing types to attempt to destroy opposition. This is a very crude way to try to stifle dissent.

If you want the list of the donors to be published you are free to do so as they are part of the public record and available to everyone.

You may have noticed, your tactics have not intimidated those who oppose the Bond Issue and have also helped Galvanize the Opposition to it.

It is not necessary to file a Freedom of Information Request to find out who donated. By law the list of donors are on record at the Board of Elections and anyone can request to see them.

Since you are an Officer in the Teachers Union, the public can come to its own conclusions as to whether you are trying to make the Bond Issue a partisan issue.

It is interesting to note that many of the teachers in the system, including yourself, do not live in the district or own homes that will be taxed by the Bond Issue. ANY INCOME TAX OR SALES TAX PAID IN THE DISTRICT DOES NOT GO TO SUPPORT THE SCHOOLS, except to the exent that the State of Ohio makes a contribution, and that portion is subject to change at anytime by the State Legislature.

The bulk of the income for supporting and running the schools, comes from Home Owners. It is interesting that teachers who are paid with tax paid by Home Owners, are now donating money to increase the tax burden on those same Home Owners, even though many of the teachers do not live in the District.

Cicero

Posted · Report post

As a homeowner and resident of our community for 53 years, I do support this most important initiative. I do not work for the school district yet have benefited directly and indirectly for these 1/2 century ( eek- that feels really old smile.gif )

Further, I endorse and recommend those who live within our community, cast their "YES" vote "FOR" the much needed plan for our district's facilities.

Thank you for your support!

Posted · Report post

As a homeowner and resident for 68 years I will vote NO. Over the years I have paid more than my fair share for schools. I have watched the school district lower my property value down, down and down. You don't put out a very good product. On top of all that I CAN'T AFFORD IT.

Posted · Report post

As a member of community/society, the fact that each successive generation be afforded a strong education does indeed benefit everyone young and old.

Actually it could be argued the older you are, the more benefit you have derived from each successive generation who will ultimately be those who will care ( professionally as Doctors, nurses, lawyers and as tax payers) at a time when the elderly will also be protected and supported with senior care programs. So the better educated and well prepared the next generation, the better for older folks. Wise Investment indeed!

For those in this situation, I would hope that those qualifying seniors take advantage of the Homestead act - This helps to satisfy some the issues with financial hardship due to fixed income yet does not penalize those who would benefit from this important bond.

http://fiscalofficer.cuyahogacounty.us/en-...mption-faq.aspx

Posted · Report post

Paula you have missed the point. Nothing composed of Brick and Mortar ever taught any child anything, unless they planned to be Brick Layers, which is a noble profession, but not one every student wishes to aspire to.

Children are taught by Teachers who have adequate material to work with. Some of the best minds that this country has produced, started their education in One Room Schools. The Building did not make the difference, the Teachers and Student Attitude made the difference.

Placing this particular Bond Issue on the Ballot is just one of the many time honored examples of Winton Wood Board of Education incompetence. This matter of incompetence and misguided priorities have put the District in the position it is in today- a failing District.

Because it is a failing District, all of out propety values have been devalued with the result more Millage had to be put on the levy to get the same amount of money. Even the amount of money needed had to be increased because the Board did not listen to the voters.

Paula, SENIORS, CANNOT TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THE HOMESTEAD ACT SINCE THAT ACT HAS BEEN REPEALED IN SO FAR AS NEW TAX LEVIES. THE HOMSTEAD ACT AS IT IS NOW WRITTEN, ONLY APPLIES TO TAX LEVIES THAT WERE IN EFFECT WHEN THE LAW WAS CHANGED SEVERAL YEARS AGO.

This is just another example of non retired people not understanding or keeping abreast of new law changes.

Cicero

Posted · Report post

As a member of community/society, the fact that each successive generation be afforded a strong education does indeed benefit everyone young and old.

Actually it could be argued the older you are, the more benefit you have derived from each successive generation who will ultimately be those who will care ( professionally as Doctors, nurses, lawyers and as tax payers) at a time when the elderly will also be protected and supported with senior care programs. So the better educated and well prepared the next generation, the better for older folks. Wise Investment indeed!

For those in this situation, I would hope that those qualifying seniors take advantage of the Homestead act - This helps to satisfy some the issues with financial hardship due to fixed income yet does not penalize those who would benefit from this important bond.

http://fiscalofficer.cuyahogacounty.us/en-...mption-faq.aspx

It would be a wise investment some where else. WW put out a lousy product. But even somewhere I still can't afford it. I wish you could understand that, some day you might when you get older and are retired

Posted · Report post

Paula. THE HOMESTEAD ACT HAS BEEN REPEALED AS IT PERTAINS TO NEW TAXES. THE BOND ISSUE IS CONSIDERED A NEW TAX UNDER OHIO LAW. The Act was repealed several years ago and the only taxes subject to the Exemption are those in effect at the time of repeal or renewals thereof.

This is just another example how mininformed citizens can cause real confusion and damage- particularly as it pertains to retired people and people on fixed incomes.

Cicero

Posted · Report post

For what it is worth from this uninformed, non retired person- and for those who wish to check the facts themselves, please refer to this link from the OHIO tax website. I included the frequently asked questions for your review. Still looking for the repeal of such law. Please cite it when you find it please.

http://www.tax.ohio.gov/faq.aspx

Frequently Asked Questions

The Ohio Department of Taxation has compiled a list of frequently asked questions covering many different categories.

To view the questions, click on the "Select Category" bar and then click on the category you are interested in. A list of questions will appear pertaining to that category. Then click on the question you are inquiring about and the answer will appear.

Search

SearchIcon

Search results for "homestead" Clear Results

1 . What is the homestead exemption?

The homestead exemption allows low-income senior citizens and permanently and totally disabled Ohioans, to reduce their property tax bills, by shielding some of the market value of their homes from taxation. The exemption, which takes the form of a credit on property tax bills, allows qualifying homeowners to exempt up to $25,000 of the market value of their homes from all local property taxes. For example, through the homestead exemption, a home with a market value of $100,000 is billed as if it is worth $75,000.

The exact amount of savings varies from location to location. But overall, across Ohio, qualified homeowners saved an average of about $435 per taxpayer during the 2011 tax year. The tax exemption is limited to the homestead, which Ohio law defines as an owner’s dwelling and up to one acre of land. The value of the exemption may not exceed the value of the homestead.

2. How has the homestead exemption changed?

In 1970, Ohio voters approved a constitutional amendment, permitting a homestead exemption that reduced property tax for lower income senior citizens. Then in 2007, the General Assembly expanded the program to include all senior citizens, regardless of their income. Now, the state of Ohio is returning to the originally approved system, of applying means/income testing to determine eligibility for the homestead exemption.

Current program participants and their eligible surviving spouses are exempt from the income requirements; current program participants are those who received a homestead exemption tax credit for real property for tax year 2013. Current program participants or manufactured homeowners are those who received the credit for tax year 2014.

3. When does the resumption of a means-tested homestead exemption begin?

The means-tested homestead exemption starts with persons who turn 65 in 2014. The means homestead exemption will start with real property tax bills payable in 2015. For real property, bills paid in the current year cover the previous tax year. So, for example, bills paid in 2014 cover the 2013 tax year, and so on for subsequent years. For manufactured or mobile homes, bills paid in in the current year cover the current year, so bills paid in 2014 cover the 2014 tax year, and so on for subsequent years.

4. Who qualifies for the means-tested homestead exemption?

For real property owners who are not currently receiving homestead, or do not qualify for 2013, the homestead exemption is available to any Ohio resident homeowner who:

◾Qualifies under the means-test and.

◾Is at least 65 years old or turns 65 in the year for which they apply; or

◾Is totally and permanently disabled as of January 1 of the year for which they apply, as certified by a licensed physician or psychologist, or a state or federal agency; or

◾Is the surviving spouse of a person who was receiving the previous homestead exemption at the time of death, and where the surviving spouse was at least 59 years old on the date of death.

Since applications for real property are filed in the year for which homestead is sought, the owner must be 65 by December 31 of the year the application is filed. For manufactured or mobile homes, applications are due in the year preceding the year for which homestead is sought. Those applicants must be 65 years old, or turn 65 during the year following the year in which they apply.

To qualify, an Ohio resident also must own and occupy a home as their principal place of residence as of January 1 of the year, for which they apply, for either real property or manufactured home property. For individuals who own more than one home, the principal place of residence is the home where the person is registered to vote, and the person’s place of residence for income tax purposes.

5. I'm 65 but my spouse is younger than I am. Are we eligible for the homestead exemption?

If one of the principal owners of the property is 65 (or disabled) and the home is that person's principal place of residence, the property is eligible for the homestead exemption. Ohio law anticipates many applicants may be in this situation, which is why an eligible owner's surviving spouse, may continue to receive the homestead exemption if the eligible spouse dies, and the surviving spouse is at least 59 on the date of death.

6. How do I apply for the homestead exemption?

To apply, complete the application form (DTE 105A, Homestead Exemption Application Form for Senior Citizens, Disabled Persons, and Surviving Spouses), then file it with your local county auditor. The form is available on the Department of Taxation’s website and is also available from county auditors.

7. I already receive the homestead exemption. Do I have to reapply to receive benefits under the new program?

No. If you are already receiving the homestead exemption credit on your tax bill, you do not need to file a new application. You will automatically receive the new homestead exemption for the next tax year, if you otherwise qualify.

If your spouse died during the previous year, and if you received the homestead exemption credit on the tax bill you paid in the current year, only because your spouse met the age or disability criteria, you do not need to file a new application for the exemption. If you were at least 59 at the time of your spouse’s death, you will continue to qualify.

8. For estate planning purposes, I placed the title to my property in a trust. Can I still receive the homestead exemption?

You are eligible for the homestead exemption if all of the following are true:

◾You created the trust to be effective during your lifetime (an inter vivos trust)

◾You provided the assets for the trust (you are the settlor).

The trust agreement contains a provision that says you have complete possession of the property. Revocable and irrevocable trusts may qualify. Most of the other common forms of property ownership (such as survivorship deeds) also qualify for the exemption. Properties owned by corporations, partnerships, limited liability companies and trusts, other than the trust described above, are not eligible for the homestead exemption because such properties are not owned by an individual. If you have questions about what constitutes eligible home ownership for the homestead exemption, consult your county auditor.

9. Will I have to apply every year to receive the homestead exemption?

No. However, if your circumstances change and you no longer qualify for the homestead exemption, you must notify the county auditor by the first Monday in June.

In January each year the county auditor will mail you a copy of the continuing application form (DTE 105B, Continuing Homestead Exemption Application Form for Senior Citizens, Disabled Persons, and Surviving Spouses). Please return this form to the auditor only if you no longer own the home, no longer occupy it as your primary place of residence, if your disability status has changed, or if your income has changed.

10. Will I receive an annual notification of my property tax reduction under the homestead exemption?

Starting in tax year 2009 (bills payable in 2010) a property owner received formal notification of the amount of their reduction only once, when a certificate of approval of the exemption is received from the county auditor following the initial application. The reduced amount will then be reflected on future property tax bills received from the county treasurer.

11. I’ll save quite a bit of money through the homestead exemption. Will this hurt my local schools?

The state of Ohio reimburses school districts and local governments for the amount of revenue taxpayers save through the homestead exemption. Local governments and schools do not lose out.

12. I received the Homestead Exemption in 2013, what happens if I move?

Eligibility for Homestead is portable, even if a person temporarily resides outside of Ohio or does not own property for a time. This means that if a person or person’s surviving spouse moves to another residence in Ohio, and that person received a Homestead reduction on real property in 2013 or on a manufactured home in 2014, that person and the surviving spouse will not be required to disclose OAGI, when applying for Homestead for the new property.

Posted · Report post

Paula you have missed the point. Nothing composed of Brick and Mortar ever taught any child anything, unless they planned to be Brick Layers, which is a noble profession, but not one every student wishes to aspire to.

Children are taught by Teachers who have adequate material to work with. Some of the best minds that this country has produced, started their education in One Room Schools.  The Building did not make the difference, the Teachers and Student Attitude made the difference.

Placing this particular Bond Issue on the Ballot is just one of the many time honored examples of Winton Wood Board of Education incompetence. This matter of incompetence and misguided priorities have put the District in the position it is in today- a failing District.

Because it is a failing District, all of out propety values have been devalued with the result more Millage had to be put on the levy to get the same amount of money. Even the amount of money needed had to be increased because the Board did not listen to the voters.

Paula,  SENIORS, CANNOT TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THE HOMESTEAD ACT SINCE THAT ACT HAS BEEN REPEALED IN SO FAR AS NEW TAX LEVIES. THE HOMSTEAD ACT AS IT IS NOW WRITTEN, ONLY APPLIES TO TAX LEVIES THAT WERE IN EFFECT WHEN THE LAW WAS CHANGED SEVERAL YEARS AGO.

This is just another example of non retired people not understanding or keeping abreast of new law changes.

Cicero

I would argue the adequate materials needed for education is a safe, good repair building which is what this debate is about. How do we spend the funds to provide this necessary material for education.

I would also argue that communities who support their schools' efforts also do better.

Posted · Report post

It would be a wise investment some where else. WW put out a lousy product. But even somewhere I still can't afford it. I wish you could understand that, some day you might when you get older and are retired

Disagree again! What better place to invest than where you live and why would not I want to support the children in my own community.

Posted · Report post

I have personnally not given the name of the treasurer of the PAC in Greenhills and have no intention of doing so on this forum. It is however, a matter of public record.

Curious why this is important to you or is an issue? The few comments from you in several ominous posts appear to me as veiled threats .... Just what exactly are you saying or implying??

Guess if something happens, this forum is a good, documented source for investigation, right?

Posted · Report post

Paula, The Ohio Department of Taxation placed the following information on it's Web Site regarding Homestead Exemption changes:

601. If a replacement levy or a new levy is put on the ballot in August or November of 2013, will these levies receive the full 10% and 2.5% reimbursement from the state when collection begins in 2014?

◾If the levy is approved in August 2013, it gets rollback reimbursement, but not if it is passed in November 2013.

602. What impact does it have if the replacement levy or new levy is placed on the ballot in 2013 but collection is delayed until 2015?

◾If the levy is approved by voters in August 2013, it gets rollback reimbursement, but not if it is passed in November 2013.

2013 was the year the change was made regarding new levies. New levies passed after August 2013 would not appear to be eligible for Homstead Exemption.

Cicero

Posted · Report post

Cicero

Cicero is pretty quick to call the district's leaders incompetent or misguided.. but he often sings the praises of Mr. Smith or absolves him from any of his wrath. Mr. Smith has been the Supt. now for almost two years. Who exactly is misguided or incompetent? I thought he was in favor of this new building bond issue. Am I missing something?

Posted · Report post

You missed nothing. Mr. Smith is required to follow the policy the Board sets whether he is in favor of it or not. It is immaterial whether he is in favor of the Bond Issue or not.

Cicero

Posted · Report post

Paula, Your school levy doesn't affect me; but since 2013 (when Kasich slipped it through) the Homestead exemption was pretty much lost for fixed income middle class seniors. Doesn't bode well for the senior vote in districts all over the state.

Posted · Report post

Paula, Your school levy doesn't affect me; but since 2013 (when Kasich slipped it through) the Homestead exemption was pretty much lost for fixed income middle class seniors. Doesn't bode well for the senior vote in districts all over the state.

Sadly, this action of Kasich is not alone as he balances the state budget on the backs of public education and local governments. But those companies who supply the growing number of standardized testing are doing pretty well, I understand.....