Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Pope Francis US/Cuba Visit

6 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Pope Francis started his visit in Havana yesterday (9/19).  It's interesting to continue to see news reports whenever when he is

is seen with Raul Castro that the reporter always makes a reference to Raul Castro as an "atheist".  Why is that?  Also seems to

be a good bit of disagreement and pushback on this Pope's supposed political views.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Perhaps it would be helpful to review why the Pope is called the Supreme Pontiff by Catholics. The title is derived from the Latin phrase "Pontifax Maximus" which translated into English is "Great Bridge Builder ". This relates to the old Roman title given to the person in charge of building bridges in ancient Rome and to some extent the Roman Empire.

I believe that observing the actions of the current Pope (Pontiff) it is reasonable to assume that is what he is trying to do: Build bridges between people and nations.

Cicero

Edited by Cicero
accuracy

Posted · Report post

It's interesting to continue to see news reports whenever when he is is seen with Raul Castro that the reporter always makes a reference to Raul Castro as an "atheist".  Why is that?

Well, maybe because it's a fact.

Baptized as Roman Catholics and educated by Jesuits, Fidel and Raul Castro turned against the Church by declaring Cuba an atheist state, chasing out priests and shutting down religious schools after seizing power in a 1959 revolution. 

In their old age, however, they have brought the Church in from the cold and are gracious and experienced hosts for regular papal visits.  When Pope Francis lands in Cuba on Sept. 19, he will be the third pontiff in a row to visit the Communist-run island.  His three-night stay highlights the new relationship between Church and state in Cuba and a marked softening of the Castros' stance toward the religion they grew up with and then fought.  In return, the Church has become less confrontational and it played a major role in securing last year's rapprochement between Cuba and the United States.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/09/07/us-pope-cuba-castros-idUSKCN0R71LU20150907 

12004094_760777324051409_679724567606861

12049129_10154781062967228_5671875868943

Posted · Report post

Maybe the reason why conservatives are not fawning over the pope is because the pope has ignored the plight of all the Cubans in prison because of their political beliefs. Maybe another reason is because the pope treats the murderous tyrants running Cuba with respect instead of the contempt they deserve. Cubans have been risking their lives trying to escape that island prison for over 50 years but no leftist acknowledge that fact. Conservatives are aware of that fact.

"Pretty Sad State of Affairs" MY ASS!

Maybe the pope could have met with the Ladies in White. That is an organization of Cuban women who have had their husbands, brothers, and sons imprisoned by the Castro regime. They are repeatedly harrased, beaten and themselves imprisoned when they speak up. Why is it that for the most part leftists consider religious people morons but when it comes to the pope they want to claim that conservatives show him no respect? People need to read the writings of Ernesto Che Guevera so they are educated about what a cold-blooded, murderous, racist and homophobic bastard he was. Instead, they want to cling to the fairy tale of the "Motorcycle Diaries" and foolishly believe he was some kind of loving and understanding figure. Guevera and Castro openly wished for bombings and attacks on New York City when they first took power yet leftists ignore their murderous history. Why is that? What a pretty sad state of affairs. Let's hear some defending of Castro and Guevera from the left...... Well, I'm prettty sure that ain't gonna happen.  

Posted · Report post

Here is a message to the pope from Danusha Goska:

Dear Holy Father.

You said you wanted a dialogue. Here's my contribution.

You demonize capitalism and capitalists.

You don't speak up as emphatically as you could for the unique benefit of Judeo-Christian, Western Civilization.

You don't speak up as emphatically as you could for the Christians and other minorities suffering from a cultural and biological genocide in the Muslim world right now, not to mention the obscene atrocities committed against these folk, atrocities I will not, out of delicacy's sake, spell out to you, but of which you should be aware.

You then go on to insist, to a captive audience, the US Congress, that American and European capitalists, beneficiaries of the fruits of Western, Judeo-Christian Civilization, tear down their borders and take in uncounted migrants -- you instruct us to ignore the numbers -- whose entry will, of course, irrevocably alter the civilization they enter -- by their own demand. Thus changing the fruitful lands they enter into carbon copies of the lands from which they have run.

How, Holy Father, is this ethical? It sounds very sweet, in your obviously elderly, very gentle, very accented voice. But how is it ethical?

Is it not more ethical to champion the system that produced the fruitful civilization you obviously admire -- not to say envy? And to insist that the migrants themselves look at the lands they are rushing to escape at any cost, look at the reasons why those lands are so unattractive, and work to improve those lands?

Holy Father, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that every last person in Syria and Afghanistan would leave Syria and Afghanistan if they could.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to ask why that might be.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to ask, "Why can't the residents of Syria and Afghanistan address what is so immensely and grotesquely f---ed up (forgive me but that really is the only word) about their homelands that every last person in Syria and Afghanistan wants to leave Syria and Afghanistan and runs, trips, hitchhikes, swims, boats, and crawls through numerous Muslim countries en route in order to get to Western Europe.

I mean, Holy Father, come on. Just, come on, man, come on.

I don't care how holy you are. Don't pee on my leg and tell me it's raining.

Signed, Danusha Goska, devout Catholic