NFL - watering down the USA patronage

6 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

I have a question.

It started about 14 years ago that the NFL and other major professional sports teams carted out flags to display patronage for the USA at EVERY sporting event. Color guards have been used for several decades at the beginning of games and that is not the issue.

Since 9/11 there has been what I call "Over the top use of giant American flags" and the use of "shout outs" during professional sports of "special guests". Now, I agree that our men and women who serve our country honorably should be thanked for their service. I'm not at all putting their efforts on the chopping block. But, the constant showcase of these ceremonial gigantic flags before games and the "special guests" ceremonies during half times and 7th inning stretches are getting a bit over the top and in my opinion, egregious.

Case in point: You work for a company that every day promotes safety. Not only do they discuss it at the beginning of every meeting, they make it point to cover their walls in posters with safety topics. At what point does the human psyche turn it "off" or turn a blind eye to it?

I can tell you that I now "turn my attention to other things" when this flag bellowing and "shout outs" come about during sports events. Just play the darn game. Since when did the NBA, NHL, NFL, MLB, and other sports become spokespersons for the Nation? It's really just called PR - and it's losing the message by their constant barrage of detailing it.

Does that make me a bad American? I don't think so. 

Posted · Report post

No, it doesn't, Twinkles.

As with all things American, this too has gone way overboard. I am old enough to remember being considered in the same vein as a dangerously funky stench, in or out of uniform. Some of my best friends would ask why in the world would I want to be part of an organization that was best known for killing babies and small furry creatures. Being in the military at that time was akin to being Chester the Molester; I truly believe that peoples' dogs hated us too. We had a saying, "It don't mean nothin'."

Then along comes the Gulf War, with it's precision bombing from 20,000 feet, it's on the news every night, but no one can see the blood, so it becomes like a video game. All the drunks at the bar are chanting "USA...USA...USA", while watching some poor suckers die thousands of miles away. Now every serviceman is a hero, everybody wants to buy him a drink or three.

After 9/11, it just went through the roof, by this time even your die-hard Hollywood commies wanted on the God and Country bandwagon.

All this is well and good, but think of what the Korean and Vietnam vets must have thought. I'm sure they were happy for their current crop of brothers-in-arms, but you know they were thinking, "Effin' hypocrites...Only love America when it's popular."

Okay, I'm done ranting, but can we please go back to "Take Me Out To The Ball Game" for the 7th inning stretch?

Posted (edited) · Report post

Considering I have friends in Honduras who pay good money for satellite TV so they can watch American football and baseball, I don't see the issue. It's a promo thing. It's for leading out/in from commercial breaks. It ain't got nothing to do with 9/11 and patriotism. America sells.

Edited by cincygrrl70

Posted · Report post

Our last game against the Browns was another example, a "Salute to Service" with camo headsets for the coaches, huge flags, special presentations, etc.  Turns out this is your tax dollars hard at work!

NFL tells teams to stop taking tax money for patriotic displays

When NFL teams honor members of the military at games, most fans probably assume that it’s the league’s way of giving back. In reality, in some cases it was the league’s way of making some money. But the practice of the NFL taking taxpayer dollars for patriotic displays will apparently come to an end.

...The senators’ report found that taxpayer money was used for $53 million in spending on marketing and advertising contracts with sports teams, according to NBC News.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/11/04/nfl-tells-teams-to-stop-taking-tax-money-for-patriotic-displays/ 

The money is hardly a drop in the bucket of the defense budget, but it explains a why this thread was started...

Posted · Report post

I have mixed emotions regarding the Patriotic Displays we see at sporting events. I am of the generation that served on active duty during the Vietnam era.  When we returned home we were treated like dog crap by most of the population, We were accused of shooting women and children and killing them. The fact that  of those same women and children were shooting at our men and trying to kill them was apparently immaterial. After all they were just good communists tying to change the World Order.

The extreme left in our country got somewhat patriotic only when their butts were being shot at or blown up.

On balance I guess I would rather see a little excess of Patriotic hype rather than none at all.

Cicero

Posted · Report post

It gets worse and worse every year. Where's all the patriotism going?