Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Public invited to State of the Schools address May 4

16 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Great, just what we need, another well orchestrated "Dog and Pony" show.

Cicero

Posted (edited) · Report post

Maybe he will give you an update on how the Lacrosse and Water Polo teams are coming along.

Sorry, I couldn't resist. 

Edited by equalizer

Posted · Report post

Ha, ha, good one, Equalizer! ;)

EQ,

I am glad you still have your sense of humor!

Cicero

Edited by Cicero
grammar

I try.  He's a good salesman.  But a serious discussion of PBL should be center stage... not an oh and by the way....

Edited by equalizer

Posted · Report post

****IMPORTANT DATE:  WEDNESDAY, MAY 4th - 6:30- 7:30 at WW High School***

Please take the time to attend this event to learn first hand the strategic direction, goals and plans for OUR local school district. This opportunity to provide a forum for a transparent and open community engagement event is fundamental for community understanding; a critical component for the success of our schools and more importantly, the success of our students today and tomorrow. 

Posted · Report post

If anyone on Junedale attended this meeting a recap would be appreciated.  Thanks. 

Posted · Report post

Christine,

I just saw the whole video from Waycross.  Does not take long and that way you can make up your own mind. 

The Mad Botanist

Posted · Report post

I understand few citizens attended this event. A herd of goats was invited but I understand they escaped across the Purple Bridge and some are still on the loose. They did not want their kids going to Winton Woods School system.

Cicero

Watched it...and yes, the soccer team (20 kids?) are going to China and there's going to be a few young woman rowing.  Let's just say they are able to create 4 (4-sweep rowing boats) or 2 (8-sweep rowing boats) for a total of 16 girls.  Both are pretty awesome for these 36 kids, or 0.9486% of the enrolled district population.

Here's what I saw...not a very good report card...with the same 'ole "we have to do better" speech, plus some demographics...there are currently 3,795 kids in the district.

2002: Poverty Index = 21.83% = 829 kids
2016: Poverty Index = 71.48% = 2,113 kids

The goal is to increase the number of students in the Winton Woods City School District to 5,000.  There are no indicators that provide any evidence that the demographic will change.  If the 5,000 goal is reached then we are potentially looking at 3,574 children at the poverty level.

If the district really wants to help the kids, families, schools and communities -- they need to work to change the demographics, but the district does not understand that, and they are unable to recognize the fact that the 2002 to 2016 poverty index discrepancy is a result of their decisions.  If you can't solve the problem, you can't fix it.  If you can't fix it, you can at least dilute it.  The district should merge with other local districts in an effort to create a more favorable demographic, and I'm more than okay if the state gets involved with this one because our local representatives can't fix what they can't acknowledge, or recognize.

Edited by Christine

Christine,

I went to a meeting this past Tuesday where the question was asked "what is Winton Woods expecting as results from the State Testing they just took?"  "No significant difference,"  was the response from the Curriculum Director.

The Mad Botanist

Edited by Mad Botanist
an extra T

Posted · Report post

The administration of this district has always been narrow-minded and people placed their faith in leadership that was not deserving.  When decisions were made, and those decisions did not achieve the desired results, not only did people defend that leadership...but they placed blame on the taxpayers, and actually suggested that new buildings, at a cost of $65M in an already "impoverished" district, would resolve many of the issues.

One of the communities in the district is historical, another community has a much stronger demographic, and yet another community screams grants and money -- based on demographics. This wasn't hard to figure out, and now it's simply too late because once again we have leadership that believes "we just have to do better".  "Better" is not the solution.  Understanding the impact of demographics and taking advantage of the opportunities available to you because of those demographics is the only solution.  State of Ohio I welcome you with open arms!

Posted · Report post

Christine,

Every single sound suggestion I have made the answer has been "cannot be done".  ( When it has been done in other districts, even down the road.)

The Mad Botanist

Posted · Report post

It's a losing battle Mad.

Christine,

I went to a meeting this past Tuesday where the question was asked "what is Winton Woods expecting as results from the State Testing they just took?"  "No significant difference,"  was the response from the Curriculum Director.

The Mad Botanist

This person was one of the most depressing people I have ever worked for.   Just saying.  I have given this person credit many times on here... but...  It would be nice if this person focused a weee bit more on morale and PR.  People like that.   "Hard ass" only works if you can do it well. (Bobby Knight)   "The beatings will continue until morale improves" is a joke not a corporate objective, right?

Edited by equalizer