Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Obama - Transgender Students

8 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

I suspect that the students will solve the problem and people will get hurt.

Cicero

Posted (edited) · Report post

I think the Obama administration has jumped the shark by issuing "gudiance" under the threat of schools losing money.  It's these kind of edicts (and the Republican Party's willingness to play along) that have given rise to Donald and (to a smaller extent) Bernie.   I'm very sensitive when it comes to LGBT issues, but when the definition of "transgender" is left to the person... you are going to have issues.  I mean, you have to be 21 to buy beer.  Not "I feel like I'm 21" or "age is just a number".. you have to have verifiable proof that you are, indeed, 21 years of age.  Who defines "transgender"?   Sure, there are transgender students... but the law is not written for them... and that's the problem.  I think we all met people where were are like "was that a girl or a guy?"  Not to be funny but if we saw them in the rest room, we probably wouldn't even care.  I mean, if Bruce/Caitlyn/Possibly Bruce again? Jenner were to show up in a woman's room, would anybody really be able to tell at this point?

That said, WWHS does have a significant LGBT student population and I'm sure that this is going to be a bigger issue as time goes on.  It will need to be addressed through policy as it will be in schools throughout the USA.  

Edited by equalizer

Posted · Report post

The difficult thing about this issue is that you want to be sensitive to the needs of the individuals who are truly transgendered, without opening the door for non-transgendered people to abuse this law by claiming they are transgendered when they are really not.

There have been many transgendered people who have used restrooms of their gender identity without even being noticed because they live their lives as that gender, so it's no issue because that's how everyone views them.  In these cases, it's a non-issue.  Where it becomes an issue is when a person who has always presented themselves as one gender decides to declare themselves another gender when all those around them know them as their original gender.

You're right, Equalizer, in those cases, there has to be some kind of "proof" of their transgender status, but not so much so that it puts yet another barrier up for those who are truly transgendered.

How about a document from a medical expert?  After all, transgendered individuals either are seeing a psychologist to help them deal with the issue of their body and gender identity not matching, or they're seeing doctors to prescribe hormones or other medical treatments to make a transition, so what about a basic "doctor's note" that they could keep in their purse/wallet? 

Also, if anyone is found to be fluctuating between genders - male for this and female for that - then they are not truly transgender and should lose all rights to identify as anything other than their birth gender because obviously they are abusing the system.

It's very tricky, because of the balancing act necessary to protect the rights of transgendered individuals while keeping creeps from masquerading as transgendered, which could result in other people's rights being violated.  It can't just be left up to "the honor system" for people to declare that they are transgendered and therefore have the right to use a different restroom after using the other restroom for their entire lives. 

(As I see it, this whole issue is only an issue for a transgendered person who is newly transgendered, or who hasn't transitioned enough to look like their new gender.  A long-time transgendered person has already been living as that gender for quite some time and is already accepted as that gender, and it shouldn't be an issue in that case for them to use the restroom that matches their gender identity.)

Any other ideas to solve this dilemma?  I'd like to hear others' opinions on this topic.

Posted · Report post

Where does it end......

I'm reminded of a situation that happened at my high school back in the late 1960's  (I was just a mere lad at the time, don't you know).  A high school aged boy was suspended from school for wearing a peace symbol necklace and having long hair.  His new age mother, before there was such a term as new age, was very vocal in support of her son to wear such a symbol of free speech...which at the time was considered quite radical.  My how we have changed.   The local newspaper and TV carried interviews and such and it was quite the scandal.  He still got expelled and as I remember either wore the necklace inside his shirt or only when he was outside of the school building...plus a modified hair cut.  I'm pretty sure GHS had similar types of things at the time.

Now we are faced with what on the surface appears to be a solution in search of a problem.  While declaring to being "transgender" may turn into a thing at a time in life when some kids deal with confusion of the age, one still has to ponder exactly what percentage of the population are we talking about?  What small fraction of 1% is that?  And while I'm just waiting for the first report of some rubble rouser to invade a girls locker room (you know it's going to happen), those individuals who are gender whatever go to the bathroom now. Unless I currently live under a rock, I have really never heard of this being an issue or concern.   I know the Enquirer covered the story about the young man who killed himself on I-71 over his gender struggle.  But how does that equate to this mandate?

Further explanation also needs to be offered how the Attorney General in introducing this mandate equates this issue to the Civil Rights movement of African American citizens.  What?   Really?  Being at some level accepting is one thing, being ridiculous about it is quite another.

Do we really need a refresher course on this?

everybody-poops-collage.png EverybodyPees_StickerE.jpg

Posted · Report post

To quote Eq, sigh.

* Gender identity refers to an individual’s internal sense of gender. A person’s gender identity may be different from or the same as the person’s sex assigned at birth. 

"The Departments interpret Title IX to require that when a student or the student’s parent or guardian, as appropriate, notifies the school administration that the student will assert a gender identity that differs from previous representations or records, the school will begin treating the student consistent with the student’s gender identity. Under Title IX, there is no medical diagnosis or treatment requirement that students must meet as a prerequisite to being treated consistent with their gender identity.6 Because transgender students often are unable to obtain identification documents that reflect their gender identity (e.g., due to restrictions imposed by state or local law in their place of birth or residence),7 requiring students to produce such identification documents in order to treat them consistent with their gender identity may violate Title IX when doing so has the practical effect of limiting or denying students equal access to an educational program or activity. 

So GambierGal, "Any other ideas to solve this dilemma?  I'd like to hear others' opinions on this topic."

How do you solve this GambierGal, just say goodbye government schools. But then again, dear colleague, it's only toilet seats.

http://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ocr/letters/colleague-201605-title-ix-transgender.pdf

Posted (edited) · Report post

I can sum it up in one word...stupid!  There is a simple solution, but you have to be willing to believe that other people´s rights matter also. If you believe that, the answer is not tough to figure out.

Edited by Christine

Posted · Report post

I know of one openly transgendered student at WWHS. Why don't you all ask that student about reality instead of acting like this is all hypothetical. *eye roll*