Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Bond + Operational

108 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Questions for Paula:

Any more news on the design plans for the new buildings?  You had mentioned you would look into it. 

Also, you mentioned elsewhere that the new buildings would bring in additional tax revenue to Greenhills in the form of payroll taxes since the number of teachers and staff would double with the future K to 6th building on the grounds of the current middle school in Greenhills.  This is good news for Greenhills, but how does this affect Springfield Township?  Until you mentioned the increase in tax revenue to Greenhills, I hadn't really considered the loss of tax revenue to Springfield Township, which would occur if Primary South were closed, unless the Primary South building were repurposed for some other use by the district, such as being converted to housing all the offices of Central Office there.  Are there any plans to utilize the Primary South site?  I hope so, otherwise, Springfield Township would lose its connection to the district, and that would not bode well for getting township votes for the bond.  Please share the board's plans in regard to Primary South.

Posted (edited) · Report post

While we wait for an answer.....

Board vote 4-1 to place issue on ballot

Geeze, this article was written a month ago.. and I didn't know  LOL.  Not like I check this daily anymore though.  Maybe someone posted it and I missed it.

I think the bigger problem is whether or not you can get the 65% that you are going to need in FP to get this voted passed.  Now that SFT is part of a "joint economic development zone", I don't see where people are going to be inspired to vote for it (that aren't already) based on the fact that Dr. Holden's desk COULD be down on Lakeside Drive vs. Kemper Road.  The location of the board office will have no impact.  It will fail 80/20 in SFT with a much heavier turnout. 

We would all like to say that being positive will win the day... but that's like saying Donald Trump will win Forest Park.  Trump is better off running up the score in Warren County.  Likewise, this campaign needs to run up the score in FP.   We all know that, but there will be people that waste time SOTL. 

GH, like it or not, is sort of a junior player in all of this.. considering the relative size of GH compared to the votes in SFT and FP.

You already have one elected official in GH that is leading the NO charge there.  You could sell the economic benefits of a "walkable" school to people in GH.. but aren't those people already in your camp?  

Remember, Mrs. Rugless was the top vote getter in the last election.. and people respect her opinions.   I doubt she will be out leading some kind of NO charge, but her opposition is going to carry weight in places where they the pro bond issue people can ill afford it.

-------------------------------------
The Road to Victory

Now that the cards are on the table, what needs to happen?   These are my thoughts based on experience

First:  Recruit a more diverse group of  community volunteers.  Why the PTA insisted (in the past, don't know about now) on being "neutral" is mind boggling.  They play a critical role.   I'd almost force the issue.  "With us or against us".  Sounds inappropriate, but your backs are against the wall here.

Second, Absentee voting is not the key.  In previous campaigns, this vote HELPS.. but the real push has to be on election day itself... and what did WW do?  Schedule school that day.  Most schools (at least in Butler County) usually use this day as a day off for Professional Development.  While you obviously can't use school time for bond issue campaigning, sigh... I think WW missed an opportunity here.  (Hint: HS seniors driving the elderly to the polls, etc.)

Third:  Stop using district administration as your spokespeople.  Start using others in the community that aren't part of the high command.  Someone needs to find out what Bishop Bobby is up to, etc.   As a teacher, I can tell you, there were some admins.  (that are still there)  that made me cringe when they spoke.. and I was one of your biggest campaigners.   I'm not putting a list out there.. but.. be smart about this one.   

Four (most important): Get WWTA involved.  Not just selected "suck up teachers" (they don't show up anyway).. the WWTA.. the association.   Warriors in Peril wasn't a big fan of the former WWTA president that pushed this issue, but the teachers will (at least this go around) play a critical role in manpower.  That guy even took a personal day to help push the bond issue the last time.  Even I didn't do that.  Pretty bold stuff.  You MUST get them on board and in masse to do your heavy lifting.  Those of us that felt burned before are pretty much all gone.  Time to try again :)

-------------------------------

Kuhn/ Berte have been running with this ball for a very long time.  It is very unfair to make them constantly be the point people on this.  This would appear to be the last, best chance to get a bond issue passed.  People that are in favor of this project can't just say "yeah.. I support you.. but I have to feed my cat and wash my socks".   There needs to be enthusiasm and smart campaigning in places where you are likely to run the score.  They have the data.

I am not saying that this issue can't pass unless you have Mrs. Rugless on board... but it will be much more difficult.  It can be done, but only if people sell out to the idea.

You have about 63 days.  Mrs. Miranda (who was so offended by Mrs. Rugless in the article) thinks so much of the bond issue that she is running for another office instead of being "all in" with this.  Others have to step up. 

Edited by equalizer

Oh and one final piece...

Please remind voters to COMPLETE the ballot.  In 2008, undervotes in FP were triple the normal percentage.  It's a long ballot.. but folks must "stay in the game" to get to the end.. where the ballot issues are.

Edited by equalizer

Interesting to note for those debating new brick and mortar = a better environment = higher grades

New report card comes out for 2015.

Winton Woods compared to Mt. Healthy and compared to Finneytown and to City of Cincinnati

Old schools of Winton Woods and Finneytown.

In the comparison of report cards of Winton Woods vs. Mt. Healthy - Winton Woods wins; New schools for Mt. Healthy several years ago.

In the comparison of report cards of Finneytown vs. Mt. Healthy - Finneytown wins; New schools for Mt. Healthy several years ago.

Both Winton Woods and Finneytown crush City of Cincinnati

Does this compute? A case is being made that new brick and mortar DOESN'T mean better scores.

Edited by Kris Danvers

Additional information regarding operating costs.  Salaries: http://www.tos.ohio.gov/transparency_teacher.aspx

So according to this site -- in 2015:

(9) Individuals were making over $100,000 for a total of $1,043,000
(10) Individuals were making between $85,000 - <$100,000 for a total of $928,800
(13) Individuals were making between $80,000 - < $85,000 for a total of $1,135,900

So, in 2015 (32) Individuals were making a total of $3,107,700.  That's quite a bit of change for a district that's not doing to well.

I challenge the "Top 9" to bet their salaries and place their money on the the results of their decision making!  My guess is that they won't take that bet!!!    

Edited by Christine

Posted · Report post

Christine,

I agree with you!

The Mad Botanist

Posted · Report post

Here we go again. "JUST VOTE NO"  Hopefully someday they will give up 

Posted · Report post

Nuttly,

Sorry no such luck.  In order for them to give up they will have to be willing to listen what the voter has to say.  So far they have ignored what the voters have shouted loud and clear.

Which is "H+E+double tooth picks NO".

The Mad Botanist