Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Truer Words Have Never Been Spoken

28 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

From the Enquirer from a local Superintendent (not Winton Woods)

the state report cards are a “train wreck.”……

“The folks up there in Columbus keep moving the finish line.” “You’re going to suddenly have kids who were graduating who are not going to graduate (because of shifting standards), and I don’t know what the politicians are going to do about that.”

The state’s 32-page guide on this year’s Report Card release.

“If you need 32 pages to explain any kind of data, I think we’re getting to a point of data for data’s sake and not data to support our teachers and kids,” he said. “This report card thing has kind of grown into a monstrosity.”

Posted (edited) · Report post

As a result of years and years of cronyism in Ohio toward "for profit" schools at the expense to the public education, the foundation of our great country is at jeopardy. Public education for our country's children, no matter their means nor circumstance, supported by communities, state and federal governments have long been the cornerstone of success creating the ability for economic and societal advancement for each new generation.  In order to snare billions and billions of tax dollars, our politicians have been duped into the sad state of affairs by unscrupulous business practices of many private "for profit" schools investors. In order to promote the "cure" of charter schools for the created "ails" of public education, Ohio has to demonized public education over the past decade and as a consequence of the dire activity, all public schools  share the burden of this greedy activity today.  Communities are forced to fight internally about fundamentally inarguable topics about the importance of education.  Wake up and support public education as this is the real solution for our county. 

Edited by paula

Posted · Report post

WWWarrior and Paula,

Don't you think you're jumping the gun?  Aren't the results not released until tomorrow?  It sounds like you are expecting Winton Woods to not do well on the state report card.  Let's have more faith, and not expect the worst.  Expectations can become self-fulfilling prophesies.

Posted · Report post

It's a scale.  Good or bad, that's not the issue when it comes to taxation.  All schools are measured on the same scale -- the validity of that "scale" is a separate issue.  So, when a homeowner is looking for a new house -- all they see is "excellent" or "poor" based on that scale.  I guarantee you there is no discussion on how the grading occurred -- so that point is moot.  Different conversation.  Same concept when a kid takes a test.  When your child gets 100% your proud, when your child gets a 58% you're not happy.  Was the test fair?  Who knows?  But, the fact remain they all took the same test and based on that test one came out excellent and the other didn't.  

So, are new good home owners going pile into a community where they see "poor" results  compare to results that are "excellent"?  If new homeowners do pile into a community where the district has been labeled "poor" what's the demographic and the quality of those homeowners going to look like?  Does it help these communities, or not?

The test itself and the results of the tests are two separate completely different issues -- stop meshing them together -- it does these communities no good.  The report card is simply a "fact" that taxpayers must use in order to decide if spending $63,000,000 will give them a return-on-investment, or if the increase in taxes will further push away potential families that will have a benefit on the communities.   

Posted · Report post

Christine,

I found your comments interesting, and I want to make sure I am understanding your point.  Is it that even if the test is unfair, it is equally unfair to everyone, and therefore can still be used to rank school districts?  In other words, maybe everyone got a letter grade lower than they did on a previous report card, but that the results are still valid as a source of comparison between districts?  Please clarify.

Posted · Report post

I just found this at the Ohio Department of Education - it's a document that explains the report card. 

http://education.ohio.gov/getattachment/Topics/Data/Report-Card-Resources/Report-Card-Guide.pdf.aspx

I am impressed with it - I did not expect it to be so clear and understandable, as past report cards have sometimes used "education-ese" - my made-up term for lingo that is not clear to laymen.  But this language seems very common-sense, the explanations seem very clear, and the document seems extremely thorough.   Am I the only one who likes this document? 

At first, when I read WWWarrior's comments about this document being too long if 32 pages is what needed to explain the data, I thought he had a point.  But after looking at the document itself, I think he's off-base - it could easily be condensed to a few pages, and the only reason it's 32 pages is that it has so many diagrams and graphics for clarity, which I actually like.  If it had been shorter, then there may be people complaining it wasn't thorough enough.  I personally think it does a great job of explaining the data and is well put together.

I am interested to hear what others think, so please share.

I heard that the report cards would be out today, but I can't find them.  (When I click on the link on the Ohio Department of Education website, it gives an error message.)  Could someone please direct me to them?  Thank you.

Posted · Report post

As a result of years and years of cronyism in Ohio toward "for profit" schools at the expense to the public education, the foundation of our great country is at jeopardy. Public education for our country's children, no matter their means nor circumstance, supported by communities, state and federal governments have long been the cornerstone of success creating the ability for economic and societal advancement for each new generation.  In order to snare billions and billions of tax dollars, our politicians have been duped into the sad state of affairs by unscrupulous business practices of many private "for profit" schools investors. In order to promote the "cure" of charter schools for the created "ails" of public education, Ohio has to demonized public education over the past decade and as a consequence of the dire activity, all public schools  share the burden of this greedy activity today.  Communities are forced to fight internally about fundamentally inarguable topics about the importance of education.  Wake up and support public education as this is the real solution for our county. 

Paula, I believe you are missing an economically structured point to the biggest degree. Without competition NOONE exceeds standards nor does anyone succeed for the future. This video is 30 years old and is still as true THEN as it is NOW.

PLEASE watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Syp_jR4BNBk

Posted · Report post

When I follow the link and then click on Winton Woods, I get a blank screen.  Is it showing up for anyone else?

Posted · Report post

Kris,

Just watched the Milton Friedman video in its entirety - great points made!  Should make it required viewing for all school administrators.  

Posted · Report post

Still get a blank screen when I click on "Winton Woods", but was able to download the excel spreadsheet, and here's a copy-and-paste of Winton Woods results:

066787Winton Woods Elementary School044081Winton Woods City1501 Kingsbury DrCincinnatiOH45240-2121(513) 619-2490Adrienne E. MartinHamilton3-4FDNRNRACACFFDNRBFFNR
064147Winton Woods High School044081Winton Woods City1231 W Kemper RdCincinnatiOH45240-1617(513) 619-2420Eric L. MartinHamilton9-12FFDCCCACFNRFDBFNRD
011973Winton Woods Intermediate School044081Winton Woods City825 Waycross RdCincinnatiOH45240-3129(513) 619-2450JEREMY M. DAYHamilton5-6FDNRNRABAAFNRDNRAFNRNR
014548Winton Woods Middle School044081Winton Woods City147 Farragut RdCincinnatiOH45218-1422(513) 619-2240Douglas A. SankerHamilton7-8FDNRNRABCCFNRFNRBFNRNR
002055Winton Woods Primary North044081Winton Woods City73 Junefield AveCincinnatiOH45218-1229(513) 619-2390Kevin A. JonesHamiltonK-2,PNRNRNRNRNRNRNRNRNRCNRNRNRNRCNR
019620Winton Woods Primary South044081Winton Woods City825 Lakeridge DrCincinnatiOH45231-2606(513) 619-2470Danielle N. WallaceHamiltonK-2NRNRNRNRNRNRNRNRNRDNRNRNRNRDNR

Posted · Report post

Well, that didn't work.  Didn't realize it would be cut off.  I'll try another way.

Posted · Report post

OK, found the district data.  Here it is:

Achievement:  F

Gap Closing:  F

K-3 Literacy:  D

Progress:  A

Graduation Rate:  D

Prepared for Success:  D

Not all bad; there is an A in the mix.  However, I am going to call people out for not being truthful if I see the district touting this A in isolation as though the other scores don't exist.  Also, I will be calling people out who want to argue that the system is unfair and biased and that the low scores don't mean anything while at the same time taking credit for the high score as though that's the only fair score.

Let's be honest - it's not all bad.  The A is a reason to celebrate, but there is still a lot of room for improvement.  So let's get to work on that.  No excuses.

Posted · Report post

Just curious, but what were the letter grades on these 6 categories the last time.

Posted · Report post

Let's be honest - it's not all bad.  The A is a reason to celebrate, but there is still a lot of room for improvement.  So let's get to work on that.  No excuses.

I'm starting to think I live on a different planet.  :ph34r:

Posted · Report post

Let me explain something.  The A rating means our students are growing MORE than the state expects.  So teachers are working EXTREMELY hard and kids are showing more than a years worth of growth!!!

So yes, for once, let's be positive!  The constant complaining, even when we are making great progress needs to stop.  Clearly teachers are working hard and are doing a great job!!!!

Posted · Report post

If I am not mistaken, with those grades in high school or college, I would have come home with a 1.1 academic average! Two F's, 3 D's, and one A is progress? Sure, new buildings are just what we need!

Posted · Report post

WWWarrior and Paula,

Don't you think you're jumping the gun?  Aren't the results not released until tomorrow?  It sounds like you are expecting Winton Woods to not do well on the state report card.  Let's have more faith, and not expect the worst.  Expectations can become self-fulfilling prophesies.

No, my comments were not aimed at the report card but rather an overall critical review of how politicians involvement in education makes the situation worse.  I look for Winton Woods to continue to trek toward excellence. There is much academic success that goes on every day for our district's students- the goal is to continue the progression of advancement for ALL students. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Bigdog,

I would like to add that the department of corrections will check the reading or literacy component in order to figure out how many prisons they will need to build in 8 to 10 years, and we had a D.  The F in the category of Gap Closing is explained as :  "The Gap Closing component shows how well schools are meeting the performance expectations for our most vulnerable population of students in English language arts, math and graduation".  The other F is explained as: "The achievement component represents the number of students who passed the state tests and how well they performed on them. 

Yes, Bigdog, and there are people out there who really honestly think that the new buildings will fix that. 

Sincerely,

The Mad Botanist

Edited by Mad Botanist
correction/will /was added/spacing was off

Posted · Report post

I'm starting to think I live on a different planet.  :ph34r:

What is that supposed to mean? 

Posted · Report post

From A.J. Wagner: Ohio School Board Member

The state report cards are a disaster. Not because of poor teaching, not because of poor administrators, not because of poor students, but because of poor test composition, poor expectations, poor measurement, poor supports, poor financing, and poor policy making. Superintendent DeMaria, putting the best lipstick he can find on to this pig, and offering nothing but advice, (no resources, no change of policy, no admission of any fault on the state's part) tells us to be hopeful.

First there's this. This is what the state thinks of our schools:

- Achievement Component: Over half of all districts and about 60% of all schools received a D or an F.

- Graduation Rate Component: Looks okay for the moment with graduation rates above 90%, but these test results do not impact current graduation rates. When they do, at the end of the 2017/2018 school year, expect graduation rates to drop below 60%

- Progress Component: A third of our districts and schools are in D or F territory.

- Gap Closing Component: How are Ohio's schools doing at closing the gap between wealthier students and the most vulnerable students? 86% of our school districts got an F.

- K-3 Literacy Component: Over 70% of our districts picked up an F on this measurement.

- Prepared for Success Component: Just under half of our districts were told they deserved a D or F because of the terrible job they are doing. 

Seriously? Must be, because Superintendent DeMaria (who is only two months into the job) also says:

"Let’s remember what we’re trying to do: Make sure our students are prepared to succeed in a highly competitive global economy." DeMaria and the policy makers believe that the best way to do this is to call most of Ohio's schools, students, teachers, and administrators a bunch of losers. No new resources come with this name calling, no concrete information with which to improve instruction, no supports for students who are struggling. Just non-constructive labeling. Want proof?

DeMaria: "The report card reflects the higher expectations – and it shows. We expected this to happen." In other words, we knew we would end up calling you all stupid, but we raised the bar anyway. We didn't have a bit of scientific reasoning behind this increase, but we did it anyway.

More nonsense:
DeMaria: "Improvement does not show up clearly given the changes on the report card." Truth: Improvement doesn't show up at all. In the past three years Ohio's ranking among the states has dropped from the top 5 to the middle of the pack.

DeMaria: "There’s more to a child’s learning than what is measured on the report card." Then why aren't we measuring that instead of putting all of our eggs into the demand for rigor in a few subjects while ignoring many others?

DeMaria: "The report card is one – but not the only – measure of school and district performance." It would be nice to know what those things are and why they aren't being reported.

DeMaria: "We know that Ohio’s students, teachers and schools have what it takes to reach our goal." What is that goal - specifically - because every year the state moves the goal posts.

DeMaria: "We should not let the report cards define us." Tell that to the local papers who put the scores across their front pages because that is the only information we give them. Our schools are much more complex than a letter grade can convey, but that's what you put out there, so that's what gets reported.

1. To accommodate testing and test preparation for the report cards, recess, art, music, physical education and subjects with great value to educating the whole person are being set aside.

2. Because the report card is based on tests, curriculum must be geared to a test, not to the educational needs of a student. For instance, a child weak in vocabulary may be ignored in favor of teaching the high ordered thinking skills needed for the test.

3. Scores are randomly set higher and higher without causal validity crating unnecessary pressures on students, teachers, and schools.

4. Teachers are leaving the profession while potential teachers are not signing up for those pressures. This is causing serious teacher shortages, especially in impoverished schools where teachers are being evaluated as ineffective because their students don’t do well on a test. 

5. The education gap between rich and poor is growing as is the racial segregation of schools.

6. Whole communities are destroyed as their schools are rated poorly thus reducing the value of their property and causing flight to other areas where more affluent schools can be accessed. This is despite the truth that some of our best teachers are in difficult schools with a dedication to help the poor. 

7. Even good teachers in struggling schools finally give up and move to more affluent schools where they are paid better and the tests don’t cause them to be rated as ineffective.

8. Teachers’ relationships with students are negatively impacted by the teacher’s need to get the student to pass a test.

9. Hundreds of millions of dollars are taken from the classroom and redirected to testing companies for a product that is wholly unreliable. 

Bottom line: These report cards are doing great harm to our kids. The report cards prove nothing. The report cards will not improve teacher effectiveness, they do not show a principal’s value, they do not improve a school’s success, and they are so out of line with the truth that they can’t be taken seriously. These report cards should be dumped and the hundreds of millions of dollars spent to produce them returned to the classroom.

Posted · Report post

Warriors in Peril,

Some good points in your post.  What would you suggest in place of the current state tests?

Posted · Report post

Any one else notice the State report card findings for Mt. Healthy? This district built several new schools recently.

Brick and mortar does NOT = better students.

Posted · Report post

Kris,

Did you happen to notice that EVERY SCHOOL DISTRICT around Winton Woods has built new schools or substantially remodeled to improve usable and more efficient space? 

The purpose of this tread was debate how appropriate and useful the State Report cards are.

To once again to quote the Superintendent of Little Miami Schools (not me, although I share his views)  “This report card thing has kind of grown into a monstrosity.”  Is it any wonder the State's high scores correlate high income communities?   Or the correlation to percent of minorities, English as a 2nd Language or Students with Disabilities?  What does this prove?

The state report card has turned into a political farce and hurts true educational efforts more than it could ever help.

Posted · Report post

While it's true that the state report card algorithms could use some tweaking, it does not help to continually point that out, and it makes Winton Woods look bad to keep doing so.  It gives the impression, however unintentional, that it's a blame game, and we're going to blame the state report card rather than taking ownership of doing better for our students.