Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

School Facilities Conversation 9/27

136 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

You're invited to be a part of the conversation.  Come hear about our school facilities, our current opportunities and how it impacts our entire community.

September 27th: 6:30 - 7:30 pm
Winton Woods Middle School Library
147 Farragut Road

(Just a reminder - I assume y'all received the post card...)

Posted · Report post

I noticed that there were three meetings, each for  a different community.  If we have a conflict on our community's day, are we allowed to go on a different day?

Posted · Report post

Also, will these be televised by Waycross?  I'd like to see the meeting that I can't make.

Posted · Report post

Five Year Forecast

Five Year Forecast Assumptions

Lines 13.XX Revenue from New Levies 
This line item represents revenues which will be generated from a proposed additional levy. The Board of Education will set the amount and timing of any additional levy proposals. However, the district will have a $4.2 million emergency levy expire in FY20 on December 31, 2019

Posted · Report post

Mirth,

Got an error message when I tried to open the Five Year Forecast Assumptions.  Can you copy and paste the info here?

And can you share your point in posting these links?  Thanks.

Posted (edited) · Report post

GG,

I did not receive a card but I read it in the newspaper yesterday.

The Mad Botanist

Edited by Mad Botanist

Posted · Report post

Interesting, because we also didn't get a card at our home address, but we got TWO identical cards at another property that we own in the district.  (That concerns us - is everybody getting duplicates of the card?  If so, that's a huge waste of our money that could be spent on students' education.)

Since we didn't get a card at our home address, I guess we aren't wanted at the meeting.  ;-)

Posted · Report post

GG,

The district is not allowed to use schools funds for a levy campaign.  Funds come from donors.  Such as teachers, WWTA, local businesses and citizens.

Posted · Report post

WIP,

You are incorrect.  These postcards did not come from a levy campaign, but came directly from the school district.  It came from school district funds, NOT from donors.  A district employee told me that since they didn't directly say "Vote yes for the bond", they can use school funds for it and consider it the same as mailing a district newsletter out to those in the community.  So they are using taxpayer dollars for it.

Posted · Report post

Here are the other two meetings.

Forest Park Conversation  September 28  6:30 - 7:30
Forest Park Senior Center
11555 Winton Road

Springfield Township Conversation  September 29  6:30 - 7:30
Winton Woods Primary South
825 Lakeridge Drive

Posted · Report post

GambierGal,

The links for me. Try this link : Five Year Forecasts

My point is this; you are being asked to aapprove a 6.95 mil levy, within 2 years an operational levy will be required. If I remember correctly, the emergency 2009 levy was around 8 mils. November's vote is not just about a bond levy, a near term operating levy will be need, and as yet un-discussed.

Yep.  GG is correct.  It is a "community conversation" not a push for the bond issue.. of course.. we all know that it is a push for the bond issue.

My question is.. why is it only one hour?

One of the recent graduates (WWHS C/O 2015) recently called out on facebook for Mr. Martin to be fired.  A number of people in his class (apparently) are disgusted with WW's leadership and the constant turnover of staff.   He has been invited to have his own personal conversation with the high command next week.  I believe others were called out there as well and will probably be told to "fall in line" and not be "tools" for people that have axes to grind.. that sort of thing.  

There is a difference between a "community conversation" and a "community presentation".  If this one hour time frame is basically a presentation where Mr. Smith gets up there and rambles on about AGS, the band (probably won't talk about Orchestra), or whatever... leaving 9 minutes for questions... then it's not much of a conversation.   Having been to a number of them, I am willing to bet it is 70% staff and 30% community there anyway.  They probably have a "swat team" to deal with certain people that are branded troublemakers.  I have no doubt.

A few years ago, I facilitated one of these conversations.  One gentleman (who has a relative that works for the district) absolutely tore the place up and said many of the things that are said on junedale.  He didn't live in GH. I doubt he belongs to the Tea Party.  Since then, I can tell you, his relative has seen (their) support erode from the high command. 

Outside of the usual Greenhills crowd, I don't see any real support for the new construction from the community.  Katrina Rugless is a "NO" and.. like it or not.. she has a lot of influence.  Most of the money and manpower will be from out of the district by people that have connections to the district.  This.. again.. is nothing new.   Your Chinese students and your "open enrolled" students can't vote on it either.

I hope they hang around for a little longer than an hour to re-enforce the troops that are needed to get this done.  They need everybody that they can get. 

Edited by equalizer

Posted · Report post

Equalizer,

I hope someone with the district reads your comments and realizes that a conversation is needed, not the usual presentation.  You are correct that the room is usually filled with administrators and staff.  Your estimation of 70% staff and 30% community is generous - I'd say the percentage of staff is higher based at the last community conversation I attended - but I do think that these presentations will get a much larger community representation due to the postcards being sent and due to the topic.  I hope so, because that is what is needed to have a real discussion.

If they truly want it to be a conversation, then they should spend no more than 15 minutes explaining the topic and then spend the remaining 45 minutes with a question and answer period.  If the presentation part approaches half of the time, it should be relabeled as a presentation rather than a conversation.

Posted · Report post

Mirth,

Thank you; that second link worked.  What I find interesting about the upcoming operating levy is that a friend of mine who is strongly in favor of the bond said to me recently, "We have to pass this bond or we won't pass the operating level after that."  I found that interesting because my thought is that it would be harder to pass an operating levy after a bond passes (due to the increase in taxes) versus being easier.  What are your thoughts on this?

Posted · Report post

GG,

1.  If it is true where is my post card?  I am a taxpayer.  Where is your post card?

2. It is also my experience that in those meetings EQ, is being magnanimous in giving the 70%  staff and the 30% community.

3.  It is also my understanding that the Staff volunteer to go to those meetings like we may volunteer to swallow Castor Oil.

4.  I read about the meetings from the Enquirer.  No, I cannot make it.  Hopefully you can, and you cant inform us.

5.  I do not think that the Bond Issue is going to make it unless you know "who" can register people to vote as in the famous Chicago Elections.  But even if it passes there will be no way that another operating levy will pass.  The last one took almost an act of Congress. 

6.  Margaret, the Iron Lady, said it best "Communism runs until you ran out of OPM"...and guess what?  The School Board I guess they have not figured out yet that the we the people have ran out of money.  We tried to tell them with the 71% vote NO.

Think about it.  Those who have multiple properties their additional taxes will be not $241 a year during 37 years but if your tax increase on multiple properties is $1,000.00 a year x37 years...$37,000.00.  It will increase the rent to those renting out as in Greenhills the owners passed the garbage increase to the owner and the owner increase the rent to cover the loss.

GG, and EQ, is always a pleasure to hear your thoughts.

The Mad Botanist

I keep coming back to the thought that this is an administration driven campaign (with a stable of about 25 (mostly white) people from the community).. and always sort of has been.  I was probably being generous MB.  

Even though I have advocated for the new construction .... I keep coming back to a couple of hurdles that WW keeps stumbling on.

The same ham-handed approach that the WW "team" has taken with the staff  (We don't need you..everyone can be replaced) appears to be the same strategy that they take with the community as well.   I don't say that with any sort of glee.  I can clearly see that the administration believes that if they "guilt' enough people into voting YES, they believe it will pass.   One recent alumni is, like I posted earlier, taking a loud stance on all of this.. as are some of his classmates.   I have not called for anybody's firing.. but he did.   Guilt trips aren't going to work... even and especially in Forest Park, where you are going to need about a 65% YES vote to get this through.   I can tell you that there are many loud opponents to this in that community that will be a lot more effective than anybody working for WW. 

A number of people take their cue from people like Katrina Rugless (who lives SOTL).  She is clearly NOT on board with it. 

Not to play the "race card".. but you have to do that in a place like WW.  What respected African-American leaders in the community are making this a priority?  Where is the mayor of Forest Park?  Where are the church leaders like Bishop Bobby?  K. Rugless is opposed and you don't really hear too much from Dr. Viola Johnson.   I'm sorry.   It can't always be the same group of  (mainly white) people to make the case to a place that is only about 48% white (and largely opposed to the bond issue).   Even in the pictures of the volunteers on the warrior bond issue fbook page, again.. about 2/3 white.  I noticed that when I was canvassing.  Where the hell is the community?  It bothered me to no end.

I don't think that your typical African-American voter in FP is going to be wowed by Mr. Smith.  They base their judgement on the education that their child is receiving and what their teachers are telling them about the place.   Sure, you have a few "dynamic" teachers right now in WW, but they wonder what happened to the "dynamic" teachers they had there 3 years ago.   If the district is as advertised, why does F M-T want out?  They aren't buying the spin because F M-T actually developed a bond with those people.

The framework of this "community conversation" (and its hour duration) suggests to me that they merely want to bring out their "base" to make the case that THEY are doing a good job... spread the word, etc.  Sure, they may highlight a few teachers that will use the forum as an opportunity for PR (I doubt F M-T will be there this go around), but a successful campaign can't always be about the vision of people like Mr. Smith.   You really do have to get down to hard numbers and the tradeoffs.    You should want to stay as long as anybody wants to stay.  

WW is reluctant to listen to what other districts are doing to solve their problems.. but a page from Princeton's notebook might be helpful.  How did THEY get their bond issue passed?

If it is just an opportunity to get people in to hear the WW gospel... I fear it will be a waste of everybody's time.  People have heard too much already.  Folks get it.  NTN, Rowing team, fine arts.. yadda yadda.

If you want to have a "Community Driven Conversation".. I'd tell people like the district's lawyer to STAY HOME.   Steve Denny should absolutely be there.. but not the whole band or the PR spin machine.  Don't flood the place with staff.  No more than 2 admins and 2 teachers.   Keep your comments brief and let the people speak their piece.  Let the COMMUNITY speak to the COMMUNITY.   People like John Pennycuff and his associates should be speaking at the meetings while.. well.. anybody on Junedale can speak about property values and trust in the leadership.   This is a huge issue.  You can't just assume that the people of FP are going to vote for it out of some sense of duty to Mr. Smith. People are being asked to give up $20 a month for 37 years.  Not a small request.

Edited by equalizer

Posted · Report post

People are being asked to give up $20 a month for 37 years.  Not a small request.

We looked it up, and ours would be over $100 a month for 37 years - definitely not a small request.  When someone is asking me for that kind of financial commitment, I expect to be treated respectfully rather than rudely, and I expect my questions to be answered directly and honestly rather than avoided.  And I certainly expect to not be made out to be a villain for daring to ask a question in the first place.  I doubt any of the administrators would be willing to pay over $100 a month more to the district if they received the kind of treatment given to some of the parents and community members.  Wait, most of them don't have to pay anything if the bond passes - they don't pay anything now.  They would be a lot more believable if they would volunteer to donate $100 a month to the district out of their own pockets if the bond passes.

Again to reiterate my position so that no one misconstrues - I would like for our kids to have new buildings, and I would be OK with paying the additional $100+ a month if I felt the right people were in place to oversee the spending of the bond money.  If you had an entire administrative team of Steve Denny's - intelligent, open-minded, respectful - I would feel very secure in my confidence in the administration.  But there are too many administrators who talk AT the taxpayers instead of talking WITH them, who are secretive and defensive when questions are asked, and who treat parents and community members like we are beneath them.  This has to change, and it has to change soon if they hope to have any chance of passing this bond.

Amen GG.... As you can see... most of their staff gave up years of service and experience because they were tired of it too....its probably why they have such a small base of support...despite the real need for upgrades.  

One funny story to add to that in a meeting last year the former wwta president challenged all of the Administration to donate $500 to the bond issue campaign... as he pledged to do right there and then.   You could have heard a pin drop.   One administrator did match him right there and then ...but I know one assistant principal at the high school was like... no no I'm not doing that! Hilarious!

Edited by equalizer

Posted · Report post

Gambier Girl check your numbers.  I don't believe $100 per month is accurate.  That sounds too high. 

Posted · Report post

She owns more than one property Christine.

Posted · Report post

Christine,

It's actually $108 per month.

Posted · Report post

GG,

Amen to that!

Welcome to my world.  I can't tell you the amount of times I was belittle, and discounted to every single suggestion.  I tried to help, advise, and make connections for them  as well.  The enrichment that I provided (at my cost) would not come back to the school.  Again, lack of discipline, lack of enforcement of discipline, and lack of commitment to academics have us to this point.  I think that the neglect for the upkeep of school buildings is secondary to the total erosion in the system.   If you really had the trust of a teacher or two, (I know you do) the picture they will paint is not a pretty picture.  I will say it again: 1.   Top Heavy on Administration who does not fit with the jobs demands...or don't want to, and 2. A Board of Education who has relinquished all their power as overseers and/or refuse to SEE what needs to be done.

The Mad Botanist 

Posted · Report post

Christine,

It's actually $108 per month.

Yikes!  I thought mine was bad. 

Posted · Report post

Christine,

Is there a way to know how many of our students from Greenhills are going to private schools like St. Xavier, Roger Bacon?  At one time I only knew that there were 150 but I do not know if that was the number for home schooled only.

I just recently saw the long list of Merit Scholars at St Xavier and I wonder how many of them were from Greenhills.  It was in the Enquirer list from Saturday.  It listed Hamilton County, Warren County, and Butler County.

The Mad Botanist

I have no idea.   I just quickly wrote down (15) families that I know in the area and of those families there are (39) kids that are K-12 age;  (19) are currently enrolled in St. X., Roger Bacon, Moeller, Cristo, MND, pther private, (1) I believe is at McCauley and only (1) at WWCHS.  All others are enrolled in JPII, St. Clements, or home schooled.  I do see one Greenhillian on the Merit Scholar St. X list.  The district/or the state should be able to provide you with those stats.

Edited by Christine