Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

School Facilities Conversation 9/27

136 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

The High School gym was totally neglected when we went there two years ago for a volleyball game.  Gum all over the floors and the railing were wobbly and unsafe.  It was filthy.  I can safely say 'that was neglect'.  

Not neglect. And I doubt your memory is accurate. Have you visited since two years ago? The budget for upkeep and repair is nearly as great as new buildings. Which is a better deal for the district?

Posted · Report post

Lets see my water bill is ridiculous, electric is right with it. garbage is way to high and our local taxes are ludicrous . You just can't keep squeaking  blood out of the turnip as they say.  You may get new schools but it would sure damage the lifestyle of older folks of which it seems you could care less about. Try to look at the entire picture for a change. I would like to see good schools again like they use to be but I just do not see it happening with this district. Brick and blocks do not a school make. I also don't believe they know anything of preventive maintenance.

I think the district has done a very good job of maintaining buildings that are far past their expiration date. Again, the budget to repair is nearly as great as the cost for new buildings. Old buildings will continue to cost more just to keep the doors open never mind keeping them in pristine condition, which is impossible anyway. To suggest the district isn't doing all it can to maintain a decent learning environment for kids is unfair. The buildings are simply worn out. The newest building is over 40 years old and the facilities cannot hope to meet the educational needs of children in the 21st Century.

I certainly care about the citizens of the communities. And I care for the children who will make up that next generation. I think the priority is for the future. The district cannot be held accountable for water, electric, and garbage collection and they shouldn't have to pay the price for those decisions made by others.

Posted · Report post

Hold on a sec.  Some folks who paid exorbitant costs for their children to attend private parochial schools now claim they cannot afford this issue?

Posted (edited) · Report post

Hold on a sec.  Some folks who paid exorbitant costs for their children to attend private parochial schools now claim they cannot afford this issue?

People will vote 'no' for several reasons.  Everyone I know who sends their kids to parochial schools struggle to pay for it.  They have given up a great deal to send their kids to private schools and many do it to avoid the WWCSD.  Many of these people choose parochial over public because of their belief system.  The majority that I know -- choose private because a culture has been created in the WWCSD that they will not take -- even if offered free.  So, to answer your question; these people are already squeezing every dime they have, but the 'no' vote includes a laundry list of issues.

Not neglect. And I doubt your memory is accurate. Have you visited since two years ago? The budget for upkeep and repair is nearly as great as new buildings. Which is a better deal for the district?

No, it was neglect -- definitely neglect.  Even the parents who were there to watch their kids play for Winton Woods made statements how they would donate a wrench if that would help. My memory is just fine. 

Edited by Christine

Posted · Report post

No, it was neglect -- definitely neglect.  Even the parents who were there to watch their kids play for Winton Woods made statements how they would donate a wrench if that would help. My memory is just fine. 

No it wasn't. And it isn't. You've made very clear your disdain for public schools in general and Winton Woods in particular. That clearly affects your perspective. Thank you.

Posted · Report post

Liberty First

Glad to see you are onboard with vouchers!

Liberty

Posted (edited) · Report post

No it wasn't. And it isn't. You've made very clear your disdain for public schools in general and Winton Woods in particular. That clearly affects your perspective. Thank

Edited by nuttly

Posted · Report post

No it wasn't. And it isn't. You've made very clear your disdain for public schools in general and Winton Woods in particular. That clearly affects your perspective. Thank you.

Okay -- they must have been going for rustic chic.

My disdain isn't for public schools, my disdain is for incompetent leadership and poor decision making.  My disdain is for the negative impact these poor decisions have had on all three communities.  It might be helpful to take off the rose colored glasses once in a while and see what's on the other side.

Posted · Report post

.  It might be helpful to take off the rose colored glasses once in a while and see what's on the other side.

I might say the same thing.

The fact is, these buildings are worn out, the cost to maintain them is nearly as much as new buildings, they cannot hope to be relevant for 21st Century education, the state is offering the communities a good deal, and it would be a fiscal and economic mistake for them to not take advantage of the opportunity.

Posted · Report post

Then look at other options.

Posted · Report post

Look at other options are you kidding?