Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Mailer about Jessica Miranda

17 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

I heard about, but did not receive myself, a mailer about Jessica Miranda that says not to vote for her because she will raise taxes on everyone while she didn't pay taxes herself.  Did anyone here on Junedale get said mailer?  If so, can you provide more information?  (I didn't know whether to put this topic under "Winton Woods School Talk" or "Politics", but since Miranda is the president of the school board and since I heard that the mailer mentions school taxes, I figured this was the right place for the discussion.)

Posted · Report post

You know....her opponent has an unfortunate history of sending "hit pieces" stating dire, misrepresentations and half-truths via "party" entities.  Slimy, dark.

1) "Failed to pay her own school district income taxes"  Fact:  Winton Woods receives NO funds via income tax but that's not the implication of the mailer, is it?

2) "(she) supported a failed tax levy that would cost homeowners".....  Fact: Yes, she's the school board President and supports the school bond issue for new schools. Duh!

Her opponent when he first ran used a similar smear piece against a fellow Republican that made me question his scruples.

Frankly, I felt he was doing a decent job in Columbus and will probably win handily.  This new mailer did not sit well with me, at all. Shame.

Posted · Report post

WWWarrior,

Thank you for the information, I appreciate it. Your points actually raise more questions for me, so I am hoping you can provide additional information.

I realize that Winton Woods receives no funds via income tax, but I don't think that's the point of the statement you quoted - "Failed to pay her own school district income taxes" - I think the point is that she didn't pay some taxes.  Is that correct?  If so, what taxes are they referencing?

The second statement "She supported a failed tax levy that would cost homeowners" - I think the point is that she is for raising taxes on homeowners, which I was told was the gist of the mailer.  Is that not true?  If she is supporting the bond, she is supporting raising taxes, as are you or I or anyone who is favor of the bond for new buildings, correct?

So where are the misrepresentations and half-truths?  And why is this "slime" and "dark" if it's the truth?  What am I missing? 

I am not arguing with you about this - I really am serious in wanting more information since it doesn't make sense to me to say it's untrue based on the little bit I've heard.  It's hard for me to fully grasp what is in the mailer since I didn't receive one myself and I am only hearing bits and pieces of it - could you please post photos of both sides of the mailer here for me to see myself?

Also, you said her opponent has a history of sending "hit pieces"  - but someone told me that the mailer didn't come from her opponent - is that true? 

If you post the actual mailer, I'm sure a lot of these questions will be answered. Thanks.

Posted · Report post

GG,

Half-truth

A half-truth is a deceptive statement that includes some element of truth. The statement might be partly true, the statement may be totally true but only part of the whole truth, or it may utilize some deceptive element, such as improper punctuation, or double meaning, especially if the intent is to deceive, evade, blame or misrepresent the truth.

You know, everyone has opinions or perceptions.  I'm not real sure why I have to overly justify and clarify everything I post.  But I digress.

The mailer refers to a court case filed in March 2009.   It doesn't say much other than it apparently was something with taxes in Hamilton, OH .   How that relates to present day and Winton Woods.  I'm not sure how that jives with "but failed to pay her own school district income taxes".  Do you?  Misleading?

She also supported school bond issue....but it failed !!!!   Half-truth?

Dark black and white ad images, smiling Jessica :D....Sad Family ....:(

The ad from a previous campaign was 3-4 years ago against a fellow Republican who had been the former mayor of Blue Ash.  No, I didn't save the mailer so I guess you'll just have to take my word for it.

The new ad is from the Ohio Republican Party, Mrs. Miranda is a Democrat.  The most recent ad for her opponent, also from the Ohio GOP, "happy family"... Big Money for Schools. By the way, I'm a registered Republican if you were curious.

Posted · Report post

A check of the Court Records for the Butler County Clerk of Courts indicates that the following judgments for Tax Liens were filed in that court by the Attorney General of Ohio AGAINST JESSICA MIRANDA and still appear to be open Judgments:

ST 2010 07 2492 STATE LIENS 07/14/2010 PERSONAL INCOME TAX MIRANDA, JESSICA Debtor Open
  ST 2010 07 2493 STATE LIENS 07/14/2010 PERSONAL INCOME TAX MIRANDA, JESSICA Debtor Open
  ST 2010 08 2919 STATE LIENS 08/11/2010 PERSONAL INCOME TAX MIRANDA, JESSICA Debtor

Open

WWW. before you start trying to defend the indefensible, I suggest you check the court records referenced in the Mailer.

FAILURE TO PAY TAXES OWED, IS A NON PARTISON ISSUE, AND IT IS IMMATERIAL WHETHER THE DEBTOR IS A DEMOCRATE OR REPUBLICAN OR INDEPENDANT .

Posted · Report post

WWWarrior,

I don't see the half-truths that you reference - is it just that you don't like what the mailer has to say?  Kind of like Trump supporters who cry foul when his own words are quoted back?  (Uh oh, I probably shouldn't have opened up that whole can of worms on this one.)

I feel you are nitpicking their choice of words -  "school district income tax" - but you said you don't have the mailer, so you are quoting it from memory?  Maybe it didn't even say that, and even if it did, isn't it true that she failed to pay her income tax (and still hasn't paid it, according to Cicero), and that she lives in the school district?  So isn't it kind of a half-truth for you to call that false, leading people to think that she did pay those taxes, when she in fact didn't?

The point it was making, in my opinion, had nothing to do with specifically which taxes, what dates, etc. - just the general idea that she didn't pay some taxes yet wants to tax others.  At least that's what I took the point to be.  If that's the case, how can you cry foul?

I'm not stating an opinion one way or another on Ms. Miranda - I'm just trying to get to the bottom of what the mailer does and does not say, and whether there is truth to it.

A couple who live in the district just asked me yesterday how long the bond was for, and when I said "37 years", they were very angry and said they felt misled on the length since the bond materials they received do not state that it's for 37 years - does that fall under your definition of half-truth in which you state, "the statement may be totally true but only part of the whole truth"?

My point is asking you this is that we must have one standard - not a double standard - that is either forgiving on half-truths or tough on half-truths - but it must be consistent in order to have integrity.  We must be careful to not overlook half-truths when they support our argument but then get indignant about half-truths when they support the other side.  Anyone who knows me knows I try to do this - while I criticize Donald Trump for his blathering statements, I also admit Hillary Clinton is no angel.  I don't pretend Hillary is flawless just because I find her to be a better choice than Trump.  I digress, but you get the point.

Posted · Report post

maxresdefault.jpg

Posted · Report post

don't pretend Hillary is flawless just because I find her to be a better choice than Trump.

She's actually a criminal.  What she did with the emails is a criminal offense.  Ask anyone with security clearance.  She's not being prosecuted because they would have to prosecute Obama -- and he's not about to let that happen!  But, I digressed to.  :)

Just an FYI -- I'm not a Trump fan, but I can't elect a criminal into office either.  

Posted · Report post

Is that a picture of you, WWWarrior?  ;-)

Posted · Report post

She's actually a criminal.  

Eight Congressional investigations.  Two FBI probes.  No indictments.  No charges.  No trial.  No conviction.  Due process resulting in no criminal findings. Nevertheless Hillary is a criminal.  That's some top notch analysis right there...

By those standards Trump is also a criminal.  But I digress.  :o

A Federal Judge Orders The Child Rape Case Against Donald Trump To Move Forward  

...Earlier this year, Donald Trump was accused of repeatedly raping a 13-year-old girl in a lawsuit filed as Jane Doe. She alleges that Trump sexually assaulted her at least four times in 1994, and these incidents reportedly took place at the apartment of financier Jeffery Epstein, who has convictions associated with soliciting underage prostitutes.
...a federal judge has decided that this civil case will go forward against Trump with a December conference hearing. 

http://uproxx.com/news/judge-orders-donald-trump-rape-lawsuit/

Posted (edited) · Report post

They are both horrible.

But, the fact is, Hillary's email situation is clear cut and very simple when it comes to the laws.  There are security clearance rules and regulations.  There are consequences. The entire system is rigged.  And frankly I'm more concerned about the "Eight Congressional investigations.  Two FBI probes.  No indictments.  No charges.  No trial.  No conviction. Due process resulting in no criminal findings" --  as all Americans should be.  I would never defend Hillary or Trump and neither should you!  And yet -- these are who Americans voted in to lead our country.

Our country is in trouble and it's not just because the candidates are bad, or criminals, or misguided -- it's because Americans will actually defend those wrong doings -- screw decency and values and morals.  I'll stand with my values and convictions -- you can feel free to defend criminal acts and feed the sickness.  

Edited by Christine

Posted · Report post

You know someone just said it best "we used to make real men and women and now we make people who kneel at the National Anthem and play the victim".  

Posted · Report post

maxresdefault.jpg

I wish there was a thumbs up for this like on Reddit. I would promote the hell out of this post. :)

Posted · Report post

So I heard that a bunch more postcards against Jessica Miranda have gone out - what's the deal?  Does anyone have more information on this?

Posted · Report post

Can anyone give some background on this latest development and maybe post photos of the postcards with their take on it?  I keep hearing about them, but I guess they aren't being sent to my neighborhood, because I haven't received any. 

If this was simply a political race, and not involving the president of our school board, I would pay little attention to it since it's not in my district.  But since it's about our school board president, I am paying attention. 

But I don't want to hear second-hand rumors and whispered innuendo - I want to get the facts.  So could someone please post the postcards so I can see for myself what all the talk is about, and also please post any sources, such as websites, documents, etc, that refute the postcards?  Thank you. 

Posted · Report post

A week ago, I asked for some information on this topic since we don't get the postcards delivered to our house but we heard about them.  At the time, I was asking for my own knowledge (and my husband's knowledge) since we live in the school district and the district board president is in this political race, but now I am asking because my parents are asking me about it, and they do get the mailers and they will actually be voting on the issue.  So what is going on?  My parents asked me about "election fraud" that they read about it one of the mailers, and they came to me because they thought I might be able to provide some insight, but I have no information.  This particular race sounds like a mess, and I'd like to cut through all the muck-throwing and just get to the facts.  Can someone please provide facts, data, or websites (legitimate sources, please, no muck-throwing) that I can share with my parents so they can make an educated decision on how they want to vote?

Posted · Report post

OK, people, if no one responds and my parents don't get more information, they are going to do their thing that drives me nuts - each vote for a different candidate to basically void out each other's votes. ;-) 

Personally, I'm hoping that someone can provide some facts that support the Democratic candidate. (Please don't attack me, my Republican friends.)