Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Who-who-who who.....who whoooo .....are you?

8 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Is anyone else in the Junedale vicinity being awoken at night by owls calling out to each other with the trademark "who-who who who....who who" call? It's been occurring nightly for the last few weeks between 1:00 am- 4:30 am and lasts for a few hours directly in the trees outside of our windows on the western side of Junedale.  We are nature lovers and all and part of living near Winton Woods is enjoying the various wildlife that resides with the woods...and we realize it's owl mating season, but we wish they'd hurry up and get it over with!  Those of us who live towards the Beechwoods end of Junedale haven't been sleeping well for at least a couple of weeks.  According to owl calling research on YouTube (cuz' that's what you do late at night when wild animal noises occur and you can't figure out what it is), it is a GREAT HORNED OWL.  Quite a beautiful bird according to online pictures.  We flashed a spot light into the top part of the neighbor's front tree one night and it flew away.  It's wing span was huge - about 8 feet!  It was a big sucker and caused a mini-monsoon waterfall from shaking the upper branches of the tree when it departed as it had rained that night .  These owls have been calling back and forth to each other for a few weeks now for hours at a time in the middle of the night.  So here's to hoping they find their mates and it ends soon!  Lately, they've been calling out to another very eerie animal with an incredibly violent sounding screeching noise which literally bolts you out of bed.  No idea if the owls are honing in on a prey or if it's a turf war with an EASTERN SCREECH OWL it's calling out to, or more like arguing with.....just looking forward to them find their mates and for these midnight rendezvous to end soon.

Sleep deprived and frustrated,

Maddie Cole & Kelly Moore

Posted · Report post

Great+Horned+Owl-721014.jpg

Posted · Report post

We heard one of them the other night in a tree right outside of the house when one of the dogs got us up to go out at 2 or 3 in the morning. I personally didn't want to quit listening for a good 10 minutes or so. You just don't encounter that kind of creature in that close of a proximity too often, and I viewed it as one of the unique charms of living in our naturally blessed little corner of the metropolis.

We have not been privy, however, to any territorial taunting by the screech owls. That, I'm sure, would get old in a hurry. If any Junedale members play golf over at the Mill Course, there are competing families of Red-Tail Hawks that inhabit areas of the golf course, and you can't believe how much noise and how persistent they are in fussing back and forth with each other!

Posted · Report post

It was our house about three years ago! 

A male roosted in our birch tree and would call out about three feet from my head (second floor through the window). A naturalist from Winton Woods said they usually seek much higher locations in much older, larger trees. She actually came out twice, once at 2am, to see him. She thought he liked the location in the tree up against the eaves of my house thinking it was like a cliff face.

I feel your pain...

Posted · Report post

You have to love it, and you don't have to pay for it!!! When I go outside in the afternoon, I sometimes give a Hoot and most of the time they respond. Really cool!!!

Posted · Report post

Well, we do live in the middle of a county park. :rolleyes:

Posted · Report post

I love to talk to them, and they answer, but the noise from them sometimes drives me nuts

Posted · Report post

I love to talk to them, and they answer, but the noise from them sometimes drives me nuts

WHO.....do you talk to?