Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Equalizer's Retirement

48 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

On July 6, 2005, I returned a call from Mrs. Anita J. Williams asking me if I wanted to work at Winton Woods High School.  I spent the previous year working at a school in Butler County and jumped at the chance to work at WW.   As I got more comfortable working, I found junedale.  I created an account based on reports surrounding Homecoming Policies.  I joined on September 23, 2007.

Since that time, I wanted to be an active advocate for WWHS.  You have read my reams of long winded responses.  Over the years, the discussions went on to a wide variety of topics.. including the 2008-2009 levy campaign and the 2014-2015 bond issue campaigns. I have weighed in on a number of topics and have often clashed with some of junedale's best.  Although the discussion also got sort of heated on here.. I always realized that the people making the arguments were honorable people.  Even when I clashed with Cicero.. I knew who he was and what he did.  In fact, among the teachers, Cicero had our begrudging respect.  Bond issue aside, he was pointing out a lot of the problems that we wished more parents would speak loudly about.

As a teacher, I believe that it is important to advocate for the profession.  If won't stand up for what I do, how can I possible (with credibility) say that I am out there fighting for kids?  It doesn't work. 

I resigned from the district on July 6, 2015 (exactly 10 years later) to accept a teaching position at another major HS in Butler County.   Officially, I had "no reason" other than I wanted to leave. I had no axes to grind.  Leaving a job is very stressful and I spent months considering it.

------------

Since my resignation, I debated whether or not to stay on junedale.  Obviously, I didn't have a dog in the fights.. but I also know that no other teacher was rising to the challenge of addressing and "equalizing" some of what is going on.  I will be surprised if any other teacher ever weighs in.  I knew (obviously) that the dynamic had change in that I no longer had the obligation to consider my employer's interests before posting.  I don't need a homily on the evils of accountability on social media.  What you say can and does have consequences (look at Trump and Clinton).. but we don't live in North Korea either.  There should be respect for give and take.

Like it or not, I know more of what is going on inside the walls of WW than anybody else over the last 10 years... including WWW or Paula.  While I was in the trench.. they are/were writing the checks to the ditch digger.  As my time in WW becomes more faint in the rear view mirror, I am less and less the expert about what goes on there.  Still, a number of community members appreciate what I have been saying about education in general (and WW in particular).. so I stuck around.  I never intended to be malicious even as I realized that I was under to obligation to be "loyal" to the brass at WW.

While it is basic common sense that you never trash your employer (or even your former ones), just relying on the administration to inform the community about what the challenges are in schools is not best practice either.   It really does take a team approach.. and is something that I am promoting at my current school in my role. 

After working somewhere else, I gained a lot of perspective on the mission and what I saw as the problems at WW. I didn't post to "get even' with anybody or to "sabotage the bond issue".   I never called for anybody's head on a platter.. but I did suggest that some structural changes might work.   Folks know full well on how much work I did on the bond  issue.. whom better than I to suggest what the problems were in getting them passed.. even as we reach out to the critics.

Now, apparently, my comments here (and on facebook) are upsetting certain administrators and at least one "positive" school board member.  In one comment (probably the most controversial) I defend the comments of a recent alumnus who called for the firing of an administrator over the whole Felipe fiasco.   What was really ironic about all of this is that.. on junedale.. I called Felipe's "resignation" unprofessional as it came in the middle of a school year and that he trashed his employer so publicly.  What I "liked" was that a former student was taking a bold stand.. the way we encouraged our students to do when they were in AGS.  I guess I should have been more specific about who you were allowed to challenge :).  WW is out of bounds.  Gosh I know that now LOL.

This administrator  contacted MY BOSS about my comments on social media and that I may be violating the Ohio Code of Professional Conduct for Educators.   Why would someone call MY BOSS?   Does this make sense?   Do we call Christine's boss?   Do we seek out the Mad B's boss?

This person didn't contact me personally.  This person CALLED MY BOSS.  Let that one sink in for a minute.

-----------------------

I wrote a letter on September 26 to EACH INDIVIDUAL BOARD MEMBER to address this situation (Five emails) with a few requests.  To contact one's employer directly is.. at a minimum, very unusual for a school district to do... unless the former employee is spreading lies or untruths or slander.  Even then, I don't know that this is standard practice... even for those of us in a licenced occupation like Teachers.  Spare me the talk about ethics. I know the code.  This was about intimidating me to shut my mouth.  I guess you could say it worked.

I heard nothing back from the board.  Fair enough.   One of the board members is on this board everyday complaining that people are being nasty and divisive and yet.. appears to turn a blind eye when her employees engage in similar tactics.  If there are "two sides of the story".. what is the other side?  Sigh.   I don't even care anymore.  I'm so done.  If this behavior continues, I will deal with it.  

----------------------

I want to say a few things for the record to make them clear.

1) I loved my 10 years at Winton Woods.  I made a lot of friends there.  I have been to weddings, funerals, graduations, you name it.  I think that WW has a lot of good and honorable people that really do deserve a lot more.  

2)  I honestly could care less about the bond issue.  I don't make money if the bond issue fails nor do I get any sense of satisfaction that some kind of "message was sent". 

3)  There are no former teachers regretting leaving WW.  None.  In fact, we credit WW for making us the great professionals that we are in our new districts.  I will always consider myself a Warrior and was proud of the work that I did.. and the graduates that we helped to mold.   We learned in the "harshest of weight rooms".  We were tested by fire.  I also know that certain administrators now refer to as "dead weight" and "oh wow.. we are glad we cleaned house".. but in reality.. that's all they can say.  They didn't say that about us in 2011 and 2012 and 2013.

4)  There are a LOT of people in WW that want to make the place better.  Many of the critics on here are actually some of the people that are part of the solution.  However, they (as they have reported) have been shoved aside because they didn't march lockstep behind the "management team".  Okay, how is that working out for you?  Instead of building partnerships, you have one of your administrators whining about former employees to their current bosses.

5)   I don't win if someone else loses.   I have obviously moved on and am very happy.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

As I said, as I get further removed from the place.. the harder it is (or will be) for me to really inform anybody about what is going on.  I could (at this point) only tell you what OTHER places are doing and how parents and taxpayers can advocate.  I realize that NO school can operate on the "committee of 30,000" plan.. the bosses ultimately have to make the decisions... but I also know that there are so many things going on in education.. that we really do need to look at all of options, we have to seek out different viewpoints, we have to ask others for help, we have to spend less time pointing fingers and more time holding hands (metaphorically of course :).   I love PBL.. but respect the views of others.   In fact, one of the major tenants of PBL is to respect alternative viewpoints.

We also need to look at tearing down walls and building bridges.  What bridges are built when people are told to stifle, and bosses are called.. even if they feel threatened?  Perhaps the board will figure out an answer to that one.  Maybe when the new buildings are built, the construction crew will hang around to reach out and build bridges to the many people that feel shut out of WW.  If they don't, they will never get better.  Never.  It is a truth that is fairly universal in any school district in the world.  

The truth is, I am actually a pretty busy Equalizer.  I have four kids. I am a full time teacher.  I am a business owner.  I even have a cool side job.  While I have always enjoyed filling people in on how I saw things (as a teacher who loves their craft), I am not interested in causing problems for my new bosses who are simply amazing. I am not interested in getting into debates and battles with people that I don't even work for.  I love working for my current bosses  .. much as I loved working for Anita J all those years ago. We are building something very special at my new HS, that I really want to focus on that.  I love what I do and where our programs are headed.. no need to post things that can help others  if it is going to cause me personal pain.  

I wlll always be grateful for the 10 years I spent there, but the time has come for me to bring to a close my contributions on this board.

I wish all of you the very best as you sort out what is best for the children of Greenhills, Forest Park, and Springfield Township going forward.  The people of WW will always have a soft spot with me.  I hope that.. down the road.. you get the educational system that you all deserve. 

Edited by equalizer

Posted · Report post

Equalizer,

I, for one, think it is shameful that a Winton Woods administrator called your boss (who has nothing to do with Winton Woods) to complain about your posts about Winton Woods on social media.  Seriously?  That's like the behavior of a child - "I'm going to tell your boss on you!"  Besides, hasn't this administrator heard of a little concept called "free speech" on which our country is founded?  Maybe this administrator needs to take one of the American History classes our district offers.

I also think it's shameful that none of the school board members responded to your letter.  That sends the message that the board is condoning this administrator's attempts to intimidate people into silence.  It appears that this administrator called your boss to scare you into shutting up, and also to send a message of intimidation to all current and former employees of the district, that message being "Watch what you say about Winton Woods or you will become a target and we will threaten your livelihood by calling your current employer."  I hope you don't give in to this intimidation and keep posting on Junedale.  As a teacher, you advise your students to not give in to bullies, as it only gives them more power.  Please take that same advice yourself.

While I am usually proud to be part of Winton Woods, at this moment I am embarrassed to be part of a district that operates this way, and I am so sorry that you are being treated like this after ten years of loyal service to the district.  Stay strong, and keep posting.  The district can benefit from what you have to say.

Posted · Report post

EQ,

I am sorry this happened.  Again it goes to show that freedom of speech is not FREE.  That is "it is FREE" if you agree with the MOB.  In other words "they" whoever they may be have not accepted that there is the right of dissent, and minority rights.  I for one have not stepped in this year.  Last year during the times of Bonding Together my life was not pleasant and yet I found in my briefcase some information from time to time that was a 100 watts light bulb.

I always appreciated your courtesy, your savoir faire, your sangfroid, and your insights.  You shall be missed.  Again adieu my dear EQ, may our path cross again.

Last I heard, they are trying to get Mr. Morales back.  I hope he does what is the right thing to do for him and for the other teachers.  Sometimes you have to do the RIGHT thing, because if you go with the MOB, at one time you will look to your right and to your left and realize that you are standing alone because everybody else is dead, and you will have no one else to help you or defend you.  It is a question of morality and integrity, but I am afraid that is gone as well...and perhaps people do not really know what is the moral and the right thing to do.

Most sincerely,

The Mad Botanist

Well personally I think that's bull!  99.999999% of the time I disagree with EQ, but he has the right to say what he wants -- and I'll defend his right to say it -- and then I'll post how wrong he is about everything.  How utterly childish, ridiculous and stupid to contact his boss!  I'm embarrassed for whoever did it -- and it's embarrassing for the district -- what total and complete nonsense.  Dumb!!!  You keep posting EQ -- it's your right!

Let me guess -- some liberal who preaches tolerance. 

Oh, BTW EQ welcome to the club!  Just a little snippet -- when you're on the "other" side.  

Edited by Christine

Thought about this last night.  Honestly -- who would do something like that!  I can't even begin to place myself in a position where I would even think of infringing on someone else's freedom of speech.  Can this person really look at themselves in the mirror?  I'm just flabbergasted.  I think Jack Nicholson said it best "you can't handle the truth" -- so you use other means.  Total lack of character!

Edited by Christine

Posted · Report post

The thing that concerns me the most is that this administrator is not being brought to task for his behavior.  If, after he acted out of line by calling Equalizer's boss, someone higher up in the district - such as an upper administrator or board member - told him that this behavior did not reflect well on Winton Woods and would not be tolerated again and then reached out to Equalizer to let him know it had been addressed, then I would be OK with that.  Afterall, everyone makes mistakes, and the real test of character and integrity is how those mistakes are handled.  In this case, it appears that this administrator's wrongdoing has been swept under the rug, and the higher-ups are looking the other way.  They seem to be making a conscious decision to ignore Equalizer's letter and the entire situation, rather than addressing it with him directly to solve the problem.  Very disappointing.  Is this an indication of the moral culture (or lack of) in the district as a whole?

The person who contacted his boss has no character -- it's as simple as that.

And they want us to trust them with $110,000,000 in taxpayer money? They can't even do the right thing in a situation that didn't even exist --  "a former employee writes something on a forum that I don't like".  First, I'll turn it into a situation.  Second, I'll do what I can to take away his right to freedom of speech.  Third, I'll contact people who have an impact on his livelihood.  Fourth, let's hope #3 has an impact on #2.  Fifth, I'll pretend like it never happened.

Seriously?

Yep, not one dime -- don't trust anyone in that administration to do the right thing!  We may not be on the same page when it comes to finances, but this truly is disappointing behavior.

Edited by Christine

Posted · Report post

As wrong as this is, it unfortunately happens more than you think.  My husband was laid off from his job due to a reduction in force after a company merger had occurred. In his final days with the company he went were ever they told him, and did what ever he asked.  Months later, he found out that a manager was "bad mouthing" him, and he never even worked for the manager.  Another occurrence of lack of morals....My husband filled out an assessment, one of the questions was "If a co-worker turned in his two weeks notice, and mentioned to you that he didn't plan on working the entire two weeks, would you tell your boss."   My husband said no, and guess what he didn't pass the assessment.  They only want people who will have their back, even when they skewed up, that want someone who will act as a mole.  There is no morals in the work force anymore.  Bossess and administrators think they can do what ever they want, because they can just hire someone else. 

Posted · Report post

Christine,

Just to be clear, I wasn't referring to Equalizer making a mistake - I was referring to the administrator who contacted his boss - that was the mistake I meant.  I could forgive that administrator for his mistake if he took ownership and corrected it - same for the higher-ups who looked the other way.  If they were to say, "We made a mistake and now we will own up to it and fix it", I would take that as a sign of integrity.

I misread it GG -- I made an edit to mine!  Aside from the first sentence -- all else still applies.

Edited by Christine

GG,

1.  You mentioned earlier that your questions have gone unanswered.  Welcome to the club.  In August my husband asked, under The Freedom of Information Act, for certain things.  He sent one request to the Superintendent and one to the President of the Board.  Three weeks later he sent again the same request the second time.  No answer.  A third time he personally hand delivered the request to the Superintendent and we are in the third week of October and NO ANSWER.  We started in August.  Needless to add that my husband is beyond perturbed.

2.  EQ is not the first one to experience this kind of lack of respect to be able to express his opinion.  He will not be the last one.

3.  Think of what is that teaching to the students.

4.  Stop and think what has done to us, those who do not want to BOND TOGETHER.  Retaliation, oppression, denying one of the basic rights for which so many have died to defend it, and those who have died trying to experience it.

5.  I leave you with the thought to check again your mailbox and see the next post card sent.

The Mad Botanist

Edited by Mad Botanist
one letter

Posted · Report post

While I've disagreed many times with EQ, this infuriates me.  What he says about WWCS is his first amendment right. Sounds like a certain administrator needs to retake Civics 101. Doesn't look good for our school district.

Posted · Report post

cincygrrl,

If accusations that EQ made are true, the circumstances leading up to his requirement to depart Junedale or some other social media site, then no I don't think it's good form for him to have been "reported".  I guess what led to that is up for debate.

However, let's look at the situation.  Most of us do not require a license to perform our jobs.  Here is an example where some one does have a license with a Code of Conduct:

636047187085326783-11044548-G.jpg

A black Cincinnati Police officer who wrote a Facebook post that referenced white officers "looking for a reason to kill a black man" received the lowest form of discipline — counseling.

And the officer, Freddie Vincent, has been moved into a new job in the telephone crime reporting unit, one that means less contact with fellow officers. The discipline is similar to what happened in a handful of other police cases in which an officer was found to have inappropriately posted something on social media.

Discipline was rendered Sept. 8, The Enquirer has learned.

Vincent, documents show, violated the department's social media rules, which prohibits "speech involving themselves or other department personnel reflecting behavior that would reasonably be considered reckless or irresponsible."

Vincent refused to sign the disciplinary form.

The Facebook post, first reported by Fox19-WXIX TV, was made on an unknown date in July after black men were killed by police in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, and in a suburb of St. Paul, Minnesota.

Were any of us upset at this officer's suggestion?  I was, and apparently Fox19 took note.

I'm not trying to equate this particular situation to anything EQ might have said in the past, agreeable or disagree.  As I don't "Facebook", I can't comment on what he might have said there, other than his real name is there and not EQ.   But what was mentioned in his post was the Ohio Code of Professional Conduct for Educators. As a matter of his teaching license, just as this police officer has training, license, and a code of conduct, here is that:

Licensure Code of Conduct of Professional Conduct for Ohio Educators    

On March 11, 2008, the State Board of Education adopted the Licensure Code of Professional Conduct for Ohio Educators (LCPCOE). ODE collaborated with the Educator Standards Board (ESB) to create the Code that was mandated in House Bill 190.

Click  for the PDF below for the Licensure Code of Professional Conduct

http://www.pepcleve.org/documents/conduct.pdf

If you go down to (g) on the 3rd page of this document, you can see what  probably generated the issue.  The fact that employers, and prospective employers, are more and more checking social media is not unknown.  It's his job, his profession, and I imagine this point was covered quite a bit in any Professional Development sessions.

I am sorry that Equalizer has been required to resign from posting on Junedale.  He's a good guy and a great teacher.

Warrior I read it and it's nonsense.  Here's what happened -- everyone was fine when EQ was posting glowing reviews on the school, whether they were true or not true -- once he started to speak the "truth", or contradicted what administration was saying -- they didn't like it -- so the did the next best thing and that was to silence him!!!  So, post all the PDF's you want, give your examples and try to make sense of it -- the fact remains --  the WWCSD just showed their true colors -- and it's an ugly color!

EQ -- sorry this happened to you.  Like I said before we never agreed much, but the love you have for these kids and this district was evident over the past few years.  So -- here's how they repay you?  Forget the WWCSD, focus on wherever you are and take care of your family.  I still don't know who you are -- and frankly neither should anyone else (it's a forum for goodness sakes -- and if they do know who you are -- it should not be used against you) but if our paths do cross -- please feel free to introduce yourself.  Take Care!!!

And while I'm at it - do we really want to entrust these people with $110,000,000!!!!!!!!!!  If you're on the fence -- think twice.  I think it's pretty clear -- they certainly won't have your/our back(s)!

Edited by Christine

Eq has 1400+ posts, was he ever called on the carpet before his leaving the district? Paula can answer as to what was deemed inappropriate, I think the 'deemed' inappropriate exchange was between Paula and Eq.. Do you think she will WWWarrior? 

Edited by Mirth

Posted · Report post

WWWarrior, the code you referenced said, "Using technology to intentionally host or post improper or inappropriate material that could reasonably be accessed by the school community."  Equalizer has never been less than a gentleman, so don't make it out like he was posting "inappropriate" material like he's some deviant or something.

What got him in trouble was congratulating a Winton Woods graduate for having the courage to speak his mind, even though the student was disagreeing with the administration.  Equalizer did not say anything negative himself about the administration - he simply told a graduate he was proud of him for speaking his mind. 

So WWWarrior, is it considered "inappropriate" for former teachers to encourage their former students to exercise their freedom of speech?  Doesn't stifling free speech run completely contrary to the tenets of project-based learning and New Tech?

There is no way you can dress this up to be anything other than intimidation.  And the longer the district drags it out without fixing it (by apologizing and taking steps to see that it never happens again), the bigger it will become. 

Posted · Report post

GG,

I see the avalanche coming down any minute now.  Run for cover, because we will be next to be told that Freedom of Speech does not cover any one who speaks against the WWCSD. 

You know it best when you told me that you were not going to say a few things because you were concern how this would impact your kids. 

The Mad Botanist

Posted · Report post

If accusations that EQ made are true, the circumstances leading up to his requirement to depart Junedale or some other social media site, then no I don't think it's good form for him to have been "reported" by anyone

I am sorry that Equalizer has been required to resign from posting on Junedale.  He's a good guy and a great teacher.

I just looked at my own company's IT policy, which I had to sign and return to the company.  Anyone else have a similar situation?  If anyone thinks that it is a good idea to express strong opinions (which he did pretty openly) about previous or current employers on social media, then you're fooling yourself.  Freedom of Speech is one thing, but can it have consequences?

Absolutely.  And I'm not saying it's right that there are consequences, just that there can be.

Posted · Report post

• CONTENT COUNT

23 Sep 2007
  • LAST VISITED

Monday at 9:38 PM

Why now? He joined in 2007.

Posted · Report post

I really hate to see you go Equalizer as I have always enjoyed your input here on Junedale.com.  I never did figure out your real identity so I find it hard to imagine that your employer or whoever has.  Deny, Deny, Deny is the best approach when asked about Junedale!  :-)

Anyways, thanks for all your contributions and feel free to sigh on with a new identity.  PM me if you need any help with that.

Posted · Report post

Say it ain't so!  I get solitary lockup for a few months and when I finally get out I see that one of my favorite users is leaving us.  Dude that hurts me more then my last bum smuggle did!  :wacko::unsure:

As Uncle said, feel free to join as a new user.  I like the user-name "Not-Equalizer"  :P

HEY UNCLE!  nice to see you resurface again.  Would you PLEASE put some money on my commissary card?  Now that I am back in gen pop I am craving some Ramen noodles.

Posted · Report post

EQ,

I am still surprised that the identities were disclosed.  As I understood we all had a nom de plume, and respected as such.  Now it seems for the last year and a half that the Board Members and the School administration know who all the dissenters are and there has been direct attack as such.  Also on a Board meeting actually a person was address as such name from Junedale by a member of the Board.  So, my question is, why a Board Member had those names for the particular person or persons who are asking for changes in Winton Woods? Is some one from the Junedale.com kingdom holding the actual names let the rabbit out of the hat, or do we have our own Wiki Leaks?  I do have my own suspicions if I were to bet....and I only bet on sure things.

Again I shall miss you!

The Mad Botanist

Posted · Report post

Licensure Code of Conduct of Professional Conduct for Ohio Educators    

On March 11, 2008, the State Board of Education adopted the Licensure Code of Professional Conduct for Ohio Educators (LCPCOE). ODE collaborated with the Educator Standards Board (ESB) to create the Code that was mandated in House Bill 190.

Click  for the PDF below for the Licensure Code of Professional Conduct

http://www.pepcleve.org/documents/conduct.pdf

If you go down to (g) on the 3rd page of this document, you can see what  probably generated the issue.  The fact that employers, and prospective employers, are more and more checking social media is not unknown.  It's his job, his profession, and I imagine this point was covered quite a bit in any Professional Development sessions.

Of course I know people work under contracts, especially teachers. That is written to pertain to his current employer. Sounds like someone was loose with their interpretation when they called his employer. He wasn't bad mouthing his current district. Someone just wanted to shut him up,period. Sad.

Posted · Report post

• CONTENT COUNT

23 Sep 2007
  • LAST VISITED

Monday at 9:38 PM

Why now? He joined in 2007.

Exactly. Why now?

If anyone thinks that it is a good idea to express strong opinions (which he did pretty openly) about previous or current employers on social media, then you're fooling yourself.

Strong opinions?  These were strong opinions?  WWW, you always try to make sense out of "stupid".  I don't get it.

He had strong opinions when he defended the school.  He had strong opinions when he defended the students.  He had strong opinions when he defended administration.  He had strong opinions when he defended the board.  He had very strong opinions for several years.  He fought for the schools, the district, the students, administration and the board continuously on this forum -- even when it didn't make sense.  Obviously, he fought -- even when he didn't believe it was totally true or accurate.  That's when he had strong opinions!

I agree with CincyGirl and all the other people on this forum -- you threw him under the bus!!!  All of you spoke his praises, all of you thanked him for his dedication and the minute he said something that wasn't to your liking -- you threw him under the bus!!!

Who are you people??????  :ph34r:

Edited by Christine