Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Equalizer's Retirement

48 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

GG,

Amen to that!  A good leader will make all the employees work together towards one goal...and it will yield a top product.  That is what a well oiled machine will do!  Not a new one.

The Mad Botanist

Posted · Report post

By the way, that pic came from a social media post of a current (not former) Winton Woods teacher - I won't say who it is in order to protect their identity, because I don't want them threatened and silenced as Equalizer was.

Posted · Report post

GG,

It is a sad commentary to live in the country where so many have died to preserve the right of Free Speech, and yet less than a mile away we have people so oppressed who will not be allowed an opinion.

The Mad Botanist

Posted · Report post

By the way, that pic came from a social media post of a current (not former) Winton Woods teacher - I won't say who it is in order to protect their identity, because I don't want them threatened and silenced as Equalizer was.

That's kind of the point !!!!  You took it from their SOCIAL MEDIA POST  !!!!   Freedom of Speech is protected, lack of common sense is not.  Everyone is entitled to their opinion but for goodness sake ???

Posted · Report post

WWWarrior,

You mention lack of common sense, which strikes me as funny since you seem to be making no sense with your "shouting".

What are you suggesting?  Are you suggesting that social media is not protected free speech?  Are you suggesting that the teacher had no right to post that?  Are you suggesting that it is showing a lack of common sense for the teacher to post that?  Please make yourself clear. 

Writing in caps and bolded with multiple punctuation marks is not a sign of reasonable, sensible discourse for someone who proclaims to be touting a common sense approach.

Posted · Report post

All of this talk about Freedom of Speech has me a bit concerned. Not because we have Freedom of Speech, but because people tend to use those words too frequently without stepping back to really understand who exactly guarantees that right.

Your Freedom of Speech is guaranteed in a governmental sense. Not in business when it relates to employers. Let me re-state that: You are guaranteed your Freedom of Speech with your employer. But, you'd better be ready for the repercussions of your words spoken to your employer. For instance, you can go into you boss' office and tell him to "blank" himself. When the door hits you in the back side don't think you can hire an Attorney and sue on the grounds that your Freedom of Speech was denied.

However, you can tell a cop to "blank" himself. He can't throw the handcuffs on you for that. Therein lies the difference.

To the point of the thread then. EQ's boss was contacted by an administrator of the WWSD for comments he made. Bad form by the administrator. Now, what is the name of that administrator that did that?

EQ's Freedom of Speech was not taken away. He was called out for his comments that some administrator did not like. Does EQ have grounds for a law suit? I don't know. It doesn't appear as if EQ's boss has sanctioned EQ in any capacity for his words.

But, it is really bad form for a previous employer to contact this former employer's boss and complain. Further, it's bad form for the Board not to step in to deal with this administrator in a public manner so that everyone knows (being transparent) what measures are being taken so that administrators and others don't go off half-cocked in a "man hunt". 

Posted · Report post

Kris,

Well-put.  I agree whole-heartedly with your post.

It is disturbing that current and former employees are "silenced" in our school district by actions of the administration and school board.  While it can be argued that they can exercise their right to free speech and face the negative consequences, it is very concerning that there are negative consequences to worry about, especially in cases in which the employees go directly to the higher-ups with their concerns.  In my opinion, any time someone in the district is silenced in such a way, it is a de facto attempt to take away their right to free speech even if it isn't illegal.

It is more disturbing, in my opinion, when parents and community members are "silenced."  We don't even work for the district - they aren't our bosses - so who are they to tell us we can't speak our minds?

But the most disturbing thing of all is that the district even operates this way in the slightest degree.  We shouldn't even need to have a conversation about whether it's legal or illegal for the district to try to silence people.  It's immoral, and that should be enough.  It's shocking that it is occurring in our district. 

This is not being handled well at all.  Equalizer still has not heard from one single board member, even after sending a letter to each of them.  And I have heard from numerous parents and community members who have said they are also being ignored (or worse, facing negative repercussions) when reaching out directly to the administration and/or board through e-mails and phone calls.  Winton Woods higher-ups have a duty to respond to their constituents and community members, and even if no such duty existed, it would be nice if they would respond simply out of common courtesy.

I was discussing this with my significant other, and something funny came to mind - while Winton Woods tries to silence employees who make suggestions or say anything that can be construed as negative, when I was faced with an employee bringing to my attention a few things she thought I could have handled better, what did I do?  Did I get offended and try to shut her up?  No, I gave her a raise.  That's the kind of people you want in your organization - people who will bring different points of view and make you aware of areas for improvement.  You get nowhere surrounding yourself with yes-men, but unfortunately, it seems that's the only kind of people that the Winton Woods administrators and board can tolerate.

Posted · Report post

GG,

You have to look it as ironic that those who preach tolerance are the one that dish out zero tolerance. 

The Board President and Superintendent did not respond to a request for public records.  It was sent out twice.  The third time it as hand deliver to the superintendent.  No response!

The Mad Botanist

Posted · Report post

Mad Botanist,

Would you mind posting what data the open records request sought?

Posted · Report post

I wish to clarify that the teacher who I got that photo from is not at the high school, in order to clear the name of an innocent teacher.

Posted · Report post

Based on some recent events that have gone on behind the scenes of Junedale, I wish to make a personal statement.  I have been a long-time supporter of the district - for decades now - and I still think very highly of the teachers, the students, and most of the administrators.  Because I care so deeply about the district, I will speak up when I see something that isn't right.  As I said, I think highly of a lot of the administrators - Mr. Denny is top-notch in my book (I'll name names when it's something positive, but not when it's something negative) - but there are some administrators and school board members who are not doing the right thing in my opinion, and I feel too strongly about our district to sit idly by while a few people cause harm to it. 

Winton Woods has some great things about it - the music program is one such example - and it could be great in many other areas as well, but to accomplish that, an open and honest dialogue that respects the opinions of all the stake-holders is needed.  The district will not reach greatness by seeking to silence those who state opinions that differ from the accepted rhetoric of the district.  All that the district is accomplishing by doing this is to lose more support at a time when it needs all the support it can get.

This can be turned around.  I challenge the district higher-ups to rise to the occasion.

Posted (edited) · Report post

What concerns me if the lengths to try to stop a former teacher who is only slightly critical of the system. What are they covering up? This is minor. What would they do if someone came forward to alert the public of a serious wrong? Seriously, whistleblowers are protected and if they take this step to shut down EQ...

Edited by cincygrrl70

Posted · Report post

Cincygrrl70,

My thoughts exactly!

The Mad Botanist

Uncle Louis,

Are you saying that they (the administration) are making a mountain out of a molehill, or that those who are disturbed by their actions are making a mountain out of a molehill?

Because interestingly, I talked to three different district employees today who all have some connection in one way or another to this thread (they reached out to me, just in case anyone is going to accuse me of being a troublemaker who is contacting people about this, which is not the case) and they all thought it was ludicrous that the administration/board has let this snowball when it could have been addressed and put to rest some time ago.  Ironically, one of them even said, "They (the administration/school board) have made this a much bigger deal than it needed to be."

As I said a while back on this same thread, this entire discussion would not even exist if the administration or school board had handled it differently in any of a number of ways. 

If they had just let Equalizer be and ignored it when he expressed his opinion, rather than taking the huge (and hugely inappropriate) step of calling his current boss, this whole discussion would not exist. 

If after doing that, someone from the school board had contacted Equalizer to acknowledge receipt of his letter in which he complained about his boss being contacted and had simply thanked him for making them aware of this situation, this whole discussion would not exist.

If the administrator who called his boss had simply reached out to Equalizer directly in the first place, rather than circumventing him and calling his boss, this whole discussion would not exist.

If the administrator had called Equalizer afterwards and apologized for contacting his boss, this whole discussion would not exist.

I feel compelled to state that Equalizer did not wish to go public with this, and only did so after giving ample time for some kind of response from either the administration or school board, but no one gave him the courtesy of a response.  He was willing to keep it private if it was addressed in some way, but it never was.

It's almost as though the administration or school board wanted this to become a big issue, because there were so many little steps that could have been taken to avoid that, yet none of them were taken.

Edited by GambierGal
added "school board", and added another sentence

I think he's saying that the people who are upset by this are "making a mountain out of a molehill".

But, let's reverse it just for fun -- some guy on a public forum with a fictitious name who once worked for the local school district, and who was continuously praised for his efforts while a teacher at this district, wrote something on a neighborhood forum -- under his pseudonym -- that someone didn't like (let's call that a "molehill").  Someone from the school district contacts this individual's current employer and states "I don't like what this fictitiously named person is saying on this public forum in our neighborhood -- so I'm going tell on him.  I don't care if he has a family, I don't care if his boss knows, I don't care if I intimidate him, I hope he gets in trouble -- I just want him to be quiet -- because he upsets me". Wait for it --------- (mountain)!

Molehill ------ Mountain!!!!  So, let's call this what it really is! 

The fact is -- the only reason anyone would be upset is because there is probably truth to what he is saying!  So it may be worth re-reading!

Edited by Christine

Posted · Report post

Bingo, Christine!

Posted · Report post

Christine,

You are 100% correct!

The Mad Botanist

Posted · Report post

I think there is more to this story than anyone here will know. I don't think EQ told the whole story and anyone from the district is certainly not going to speak to this issue on this forum. I think that everyone is trying to read into this whatever it is they already believe and it shows nothing or proves nothing. Others can either continue to speculate or just forget about it.

I'll continue to "speculate" and not forget about it due to the shear stupidity that someone from the district even thought about calling his employer.  In addition, since EQ is now not "telling the whole truth" what else could this devious crafty man still be hiding?  Since EQ cannot speak for himself, I vote to not bury it.  If it weren't important, he wouldn't have posted it in the first place.  When true character is revealed -- especially from someone in a position of leadership -- it matters!  Especially if that same leadership is asking for $110,000,000 in our tax money and is asking us to blindly place our faith in them.

If someone wants to set the "record straight", it's a public forum open to everyone.  All are welcome -- all can speak -- and you don't even have to use your real name!  And, if you do know who the person is under that fictitious name -- there's a "gentleman's agreement" when using any open forum.  It's an unspoken agreement that obviously some are not aware of.

Edited by Christine

Posted · Report post

I was originally planning on not saying any more on this topic since I felt I had already said all that I had to say about it, but recent unsavory developments outside of Junedale necessitate me saying a bit more.  To those who are now hating on Equalizer:  Quit blaming him for imagined lost votes for the bond due to his speaking up about the treatment he received.  

You know Equalizer has fully supported the bond - he has written in support of it, he has actively campaigned for it - and it is offensive to now hear accusations that he is trying to "sabotage"' the bond.  He is not trying to sabotage anything by speaking up, nor am I, nor are my friends and family - we have all been long-time supporters of Winton Woods schools, and to our credit, continue to be supporters even when treated disrespectfully. 

The only sabotage I see is self-sabotage.  Some of those most strongly in favor of the bond have unwittingly cost themselves the most bond votes with their behaviors - such as personal attacks against those who disagree with them, getting defensive and rude when asked for facts or information, calling some older folks "selfish" when they expressed concern over whether they can afford it, publicly calling a certain anti-bond person "stupid" for a typo on his signs - all these things have cost votes from previously undecided voters who have now decided that they can't be on the side of such poor behavior.  (I call it the "Trump effect" - you know, how some people can't stomach some things Trump has said or done, so they are voting for anyone who's not Trump.  Now this is going on with the bond campaign - there are people who have decided to vote against it because they can't stomach some things the pro side has done.  In some cases, it's not that these undecided voters have decided to vote against the bond due to the bond itself, but due to the fact that they refuse to vote on the side of the repugnant behavior.)

To those who are committing these negative behaviors or who are supporting/condoning those who are committing them:  Can't you see you are your own worst enemy?  If you're going to act like that, you might as well be campaigning against the bond.  Please stop making Winton Woods look bad.

Posted · Report post

GG,

1.  Not only certain Pro Bonders have put down wrong information out there, but also have written personal attacks and not even tried to clarify facts. 

a.  The pool Bond coming to an end will not give back $20.00 a month but $20.00 a year.  That hardly will cover School Bond Issue.

b.  Critics of the Police Department are just plain WRONG.  There is a Police Levy where funds are provided for their needs.  If the purchases are approved is because they have the cash on the barrel to paid for it.  To equate the Greenhills Police Department to the Winton Woods Academic standing is ludicrous.

c.  The so called Gentlemen's Agreement about the identity of writers on Junedale is not in full vigor.  At Board of Education Meetings, Board members have mentioned by name the name of dissidents of the Bond Issue, their nom de plume, and what was written.  It is safe to say that some one is supplying the names.

d.  To have made an issue of the sign misspelling was another problem of not checking it out.  The vendor subcontracted and due to their mistake, refunded fully the amount, and repaired the damage "gratis".  Also a third party added more signs to the two previous ones.  They failed to see the same ad in the Greenhills Journal.

2.  You also asked about  Income Tax and how it affects a School District, and here it is:   a significant portion of Income Tax collected by the state goes back to local schools to assist student on a per capita basis.  It is my understanding that last year monies from the State Income Tax subsidized each student from the Winton Woods District to the extent of $4,800 per student.  So as you see it does have a bearing.

3. I agree with both of you Christine and GG.

The Mad Botanist