Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Vote No WWCSD Bond #50 - Demand Alternatives

22 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

On November 8th -- Bond #50 will be on the ballot for the Winton Woods City School District. They are asking for $61,500,000 in local taxes, in addition to $49,000,000 from the State of Ohio. This is Round #3 for this bond. Statistically the schools are poorly ranked and from a tax perspective these communities would be hard pressed to absorb additional taxes and stay competitive as an option for new families. These communities do not have a strong commercial tax base, therefore the financial burden falls on the residents. Alternatives and options must be reviewed before considering such a commitment. After Round #1 and Round #2 failed -- leadership made no attempts to review serious alternatives. Vote NO -- demand a review of options by outside strategist who understand how to solve problems and address real issues! New buildings will not solve the problems we are experiencing within our district.

Posted · Report post

There are two sides to every issue and each side should be examined.

The school district wishes to invest in a $50 Million dollar property improvement within the Village of Greenhills.  The schedule of construction would be over 3 to 4 years, bringing local workers (some possibly from here in the Village) into the Village and frequent local businesses.  At the end of construction, the number of employees within the Village would nearly double and thereby increase income tax receipts to the Village by approximately $60,000-$70,000 per year.  The schools are currently the largest employer in the Village.

Where funding for this project was previously only a 1/3 of the cost was coming from the State, now 50% of the project funding is coming from the State of Ohio.  The cost to an individual taxpayer annually has gone down from the previous bond issue.  As before, the cost to operate these new structures will be less than the present facilities.  The new facilities will be more functional toward actual needs and able to address the increase of students that the entity is now experiencing.

This is a better deal and will be a plus for the residents of the Village of Greenhills.

Posted · Report post

The deal on the table is the best deal there is. New buildings are needed to replace old, outdated, and worn out buildings. To not take advantage of this offer would be financially irresponsible on the part of the district. This deal is good for the children, the families, and the communities. 

Posted · Report post

Five Year Forecast

As forecast, WWCSD will not begin academic year 2019-20 without an operating levy in place. 

Lines 13.XX Revenue from New Levies This line item represents revenues which will be generated from a proposed additional levy. The Board of Education will set the amount and timing of any additional levy proposals. However, the district will have a $4.2 million emergency levy expire in FY20 on December 31, 2019. 

Posted · Report post

And if they renew that levy, there is no change in taxes.  Certainly the five year plan can't factor in operational savings from 7 buildings to 2 buildings, plus reduced transportation costs. Yes, these are all considerations let alone the fact that the 2009 levy was supposed to last 3-4 years and will last 10+ years.

Posted · Report post

Three Hats,

So, according to you we must demolish Roger Bacon, Purcell Marian, St Xavier, La Salle, Ursula, Elder, Etc.  Their buildings are old, outdated, and worn out too.  We need to provide Winton Woods with a  new toy, because the powers to be did not do a good job and were not good stewards of our money, so we will give them new buildings in order to better their optics?  No improvement plans from within about Academics, to improve the student/teacher ratio, to offer mandatory tutoring, and/or to impose more rigor in discipline?

You think that the new buildings will last more than 25 years if their maintenance program will mirror the current ones? 

I do not like the odds for my tax dollars.

The Mad Botanist

Posted · Report post

Three Hats,

So, according to you we must demolish Roger Bacon, Purcell Marian, St Xavier, La Salle, Ursula, Elder, Etc.  Their buildings are old, outdated, and worn out too.  We need to provide Winton Woods with a  new toy, because the powers to be did not do a good job and were not good stewards of our money, so we will give them new buildings in order to better their optics?  No improvement plans from within about Academics, to improve the student/teacher ratio, to offer mandatory tutoring, and/or to impose more rigor in discipline?

You think that the new buildings will last more than 25 years if their maintenance program will mirror the current ones? 

I do not like the odds for my tax dollars.

The Mad Botanist

All of the Catholic schools you mention are not my concern. I care about the students of Winton Woods who need better facilities and deserve the same level of infrastructure as other students in this region. The buildings in this district are old, inefficient, outdated, and too expensive to maintain. The cost of maintenance is nearly the same as the cost to build new buildings. These are not toys. These are educational facilities needed to provide the best educational opportunities for the students of the Winton Woods school district. The current buildings are 50+ years old. The notion that the district has not been a good steward of taxpayer money is false.

Do I think new buildings will last more than 25 years under the current maintenance programs? You bet I do!

Posted · Report post

Three Hats,

We obviously agree to disagree!  You certainly have the right to your opinion as I have to mine!  I care much more for the Academic performance.  It is obvious also that I am not alone in the left field.  All the students home schooled, and all the students going elsewhere to receive their Education, speak volumes of what they think of the Academic performance at Winton Woods.  There are three important points:  1.  Mt. Healthy has new buildings and yet performing worse than even Winton Woods, 2.  the lack of Community involvement in this decision was obvious, and 3. my vote NO will cancel out your YES vote. 

The Mad Botanist

Posted · Report post

All of the Catholic schools you mention are not my concern.

Just an FYI -- your credibility is weakened by stupid comments!  Just something to consider when you're actually trying to get people on your side.

Posted · Report post

That particular comment did rub me the wrong way, too, and I was a bit surprised by it because ThreeHats has always struck me as a thoughtful person on this forum.  (I do not know ThreeHats' identity in real life.)  I don't know if I would go so far as to call it "stupid" - maybe "careless" in that it is likely to turn people off rather than winning them over.

We Winton Woods parents shouldn't say "All of the Catholic schools are not my concern" just as the Catholic school parents shouldn't say "All of the Winton Woods schools are not my concern." We need to think broader, not just about our own concerns, in order to build a strong, supportive community.

If everyone is looking out for just their children, then we'll never find a solution that unites the community.  But if everyone has all the children in mind, we can surely find some common ground on how to meet their educational needs even if we don't agree on everything. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Sorry -- it was stupid.  Bad decision when trying to get people to vote "yes".

I would never say "All the public schools you mention are not my concern" -- because -- well -- that would be stupid.  And if I did say that could you imagine the backlash from the supporters.

The fact is we should be concerned about all the schools, especially the ones the kids in these communities attend (Catholic and public) and also those surrounding our communities. Each of these schools has a direct impact on all three communities.  The supporters of the levy just aren't understanding the big picture and that's detrimental to the communities and the students who attend the WWCSD. 

Edited by Christine

Posted · Report post

Christine,

I concede that ThreeHats' comment that "All of the Catholic schools you mention are not my concern" was not well thought out, but still don't know that I would go as far as to publicly call it "stupid."  But it does expose the hypocrisy to which you allude - that a few Winton Woods supporters sometimes don't seem to show regard for children other than Winton Woods children, yet these same people on occasion seem to get disproportionately offended if they feel that someone else isn't showing regard for Winton Woods children.

As a Winton Woods parent, I believe we need to make an effort to change this.  All sides need to realize that all the children in our community matter, and all the schools in our community matter, and this should be a "we" discussion rather than an "us-and-them" discussion.  We are all part of this same community, and we are all responsible as a community for all the children in our community.

Posted · Report post

GG,

This has been a problem for as long as I can remember.  Perhaps you can offer some suggestions.  At this time I am out of offering solutions because I am tired of being called all kind of names.  Being part of the solution has always been my motto, yet time and time again it has been seen as problematic to say the least.  Again, there are parents out there who are satisfied with what they are getting, and there are parents who are not.  Both sets of parents are paying an enormous amount of taxes to be able to accommodate both sides, yet somewhere some decision has been taken not to do so.  Others who have come to the table with solutions have been not been welcome.  It seems that they say they want help and ideas from one side of the mouth, and when they get it those ideas are thrown out the other side of the mouth because they got the solution to all what ails the School System. 

Parents are getting tired of fighting the system.  In a sense that is what the Board of Education wanted.  The most powerful tool the parents have is their vote if they stay in town ,and if they can sell their property they will move somewhere else. 

The Mad Botanist

Just an FYI -- your credibility is weakened by stupid comments!  Just something to consider when You you're actually trying to get people on your side.

And you want to disband the school district. Was that thoughtful and caring about the students and families of Winton Woods? You were never on my "side." You have made that perfectly clear. Thanks for the negative comments. 

Edited by ThreeHats

Posted · Report post

The goal is to provide the children of these communities the best education and make sure the communities they live in are strong, safe and viable.  That's the goal!

For those people who actually believe in this goal they need to leave themselves open to "disbanding the school district" in addition to other options and alternatives -- including building new schools.  Keeping the district at all cost should NOT be the goal.  It might be the best option -- but then again it might not -- no one knows because leadership has not done their due diligence.  That's a fact!

If this bond fails the right thing to do is go to the State and ask for them to develop a high level strategic team that can outline all options objectively.  The team should not consist of stakeholders.  Stakeholders merely become part of the process.  Once the options are outlined -- let the voters decide.

Voting "yes" on November 8th ensures higher taxes (where we are no longer competitive in the market), and eliminates any possibility of an alternative that might just take the district to a higher standard and builds up all three communities to where new home owners are waiting in line to move in.

Voting "yes" is doing a disservice to the students and communities!

DEVELOP AN OBJECTIVE TEAM TO OUTLINE ALL OPTIONS BEFORE WE MAKE A DECISION FROM WHERE WE CAN'T RETURN!!!

No one who truly cares about creating the best educational opportunities for our kids and truly cares about the development of these communities should be opposed to this approach!

Posted · Report post

Just an FYI -- your credibility is weakened by stupid comments!  Just something to consider when you're actually trying to get people on your side.

This statement is spot on

Nuttly,

Amen to that!  Considering the fact that students from all three communities feed into "those catholic and private schools"...

The Mad Botanist

Edited by Mad Botanist
Added on.

Posted · Report post

Tomorrow is a big day for our country and our local schools. The district is asking for $61,500,000 to build new schools, in addition to the $49,000,000 that would come from they State. This is the 3rd round for this levy and still the district has not offered any options or alternatives that would truly help the students of this district, turn the schools around and/or help these communities. Voting 'yes' closes the book on looking at potential alternatives such as; developing career academies, merging with other districts, looking at additional funding or options that help generate additional revenue, etc. They want you to believe that building new schools is the only option -- and that is simply not they case. No one should be opposed to developing a team of strategists to outline the real issues and develop potential solutions that can have a true impact on our children. A team of highly qualified strategists that are not stakeholders, or directly impacted by the results, just may be the ticket our schools and communities need to achieve the highest level of success. Even if you believe that new schools should be built -- let that be one of the outlined options -- and then let the voters decide. $61,500,000 is a lot of local tax money that may not be the best solution and may not need to be spent. The board and administration need to do the right thing and allow an objective entity to outline all options and alternatives with the goal of "providing the best education for the students in the WWCSD and ensuring that the communities they live in are safe, strong and viable".

Posted · Report post

Tomorrow gives the voters of these communities the chance to be heard. I will be voting for the levy. I want to take advantage of the States offer of funds before that offer is withdrawn. I feel building 2 new buildings is fiscally more responsible then trying to maintain the 6 that we currently have. I feel the opportunity to combine the resources from these 6 buildings into 2 buildings is a win for the school district, the communities and the kids. I see it as a chance to expand what the district is currently offering and to put valuable resources where they are needed the most.

Posted · Report post

Unfortunately, the voters already spoke twice and that should have been the cue for the board and administration to go back to the drawing board to review options and alternatives.  Even after an independent study recommended that the bond not be placed on the ballot in May 2013.  The board and administration aren't interested in doing what's best -- they simply want money for new schools.  They have no interest in hearing what the voters have to say -- unless the levy passes.      

http://www.wintonwoods.org/userfiles/557/DISTRICT/CREATING OUR FUTURE/BOND ISSUE FEASIBILITY STUDY OCT 2012_Revised_.pdf

Posted · Report post

Christine,

I do not think they want to listen to the voter,  not now, not before, not after.  The amount of hours my husband and I have spent offering suggestions and very strong recommendations were all dismissed with a simple "we cannot do that".  Why not?  I gave the list of comparable schools who are successfully implementing certain programs.  Princeton and Finneytown were two of the examples given.  The answer is always no we cannot do that.  And yet keep repeating the same mistakes, obtaining the same results, but in hope of a different outcome.....

The Mad Botanist