Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Running radar on Winton Road

8 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

I just wanted to point out that the Greenhills Police Officer running radar on Winton Rd. this morning at 6:15am was in a dangerous position.

It has been mentioned previously on this site that the Police are supposed "to serve and protect". Their job is not to hide in the shadows waiting to come out and arrest someone.

In that light I propose the following question:

If I was to be speeding down a street with at least medium to light traffic, or in heavy traffic for that matter, and up ahead there was a police officer lying in wait with their radar on ready to catch speeders is it more important for that police officer to be out in the open much in advance so that a speeder at least has a chance to SLOW down prior to getting a ticket thus providing a safer environment of the people around me? Or, should the police officer hide, therefore, allowing me to continue to speed putting others in "jeopardy" and get the ticket? Keep in mind, we're not talking about reckless speeding (20mph+ over) or weaving through traffic while speeding at 20mph+. Let's just say for argument I was 10mph over the speed limit. The "beginning" limit where a police officer might pull some one over.

The easy answer is the obvious one: Don't speed and you won't have that issue. That surely is the common sense way to avoid a ticket. However, we all speed at least time from time. So, the initial question is still applicable.

Police officers in some other cities have their running lights on during their patrol of roads and neighborhoods. Thus, being visible to the public. It is very unusual for beat patrol officers to be undercover. Why, then the game of playing hide and pounce?

So, driving to work today at 6:15am there is a police officer parked in that extra strip of asphalt paving facing south bound traffic with all of the lights turned off to the vehicle. Very unsafe! The vehicle is black and nearly impossible to see until you get very close to it. Again, stay visible. Your job is to be visible. Not to be playing peekaboo games.

Posted · Report post

If I'm thinking of the same spot that you mentioned, they regularly sit laying and waiting. I have seen them sitting pretty frequently.  However, it was always my understanding that if they were actively taking radar, then the needed to have their lights on.

Posted · Report post

OK, let me ask the question that begs to asked..... did you get stopped for speeding at 6:15AM?

By some standards I'm a "newbie" by only living in Greenhills 35 years, but the PD has parked in the same spot for 35+ years, probably much longer, hardly the shadows.  There may even be a memorial to Radar Walt at that spot.  

I'm not certain what the given procedure is, but I rarely see Ohio Hwy. Patrol along highways with their lights on either.  It could very well be that headlights shining into the eyes of oncoming traffic or the human nature of some to slam on their brakes the minute they see a cop along side of the road which is just as dangerous at 6:15AM in the morning before first coffee kicks in for the person following the that person.

Posted · Report post

I hope we are not going back to the days of Radar Walt; but I thought it was a state law that a cop running radar by the side of the road had to have their parking lights on.  They could not sit totally blacked out.

Posted · Report post

OK, let me ask the question that begs to asked..... did you get stopped for speeding at 6:15AM?

By some standards I'm a "newbie" by only living in Greenhills 35 years, but the PD has parked in the same spot for 35+ years, probably much longer, hardly the shadows.  There may even be a memorial to Radar Walt at that spot.  

I'm not certain what the given procedure is, but I rarely see Ohio Hwy. Patrol along highways with their lights on either.  It could very well be that headlights shining into the eyes of oncoming traffic or the human nature of some to slam on their brakes the minute they see a cop along side of the road which is just as dangerous at 6:15AM in the morning before first coffee kicks in for the person following the that person.

I didn't get a ticket.

I realize they've been parking there for decades.

It is standard for State Highway Patrol to have at least their running lights on when parked in the median or side of the road - for visibility.

Finally, I'm not asking for the police to have their headlights on. I'm asking them to at least have running lights on. When I passed that officer parked on the side of the road he was not visible until about 30 yards away. It was dangerous because the back of the vehicle blended into the darkness.

I hope the chief of police considers this issue when telling their officers each day to be "safe out there". 

Posted · Report post

Speaking of police and radar, what is it going to take to slow down the traffic that roars out of Beechwoods every day?  I have lived here for like 40 years and never once have seen any police traffic enforcement on Junedale.  4:00 - 4:15 is one of the worst times for the street traffic btw.

There is a little white bus that says "Precious Angels" or something like that on it.  Must not be too precious if you can do 45 MPH roaring up the street.  And no seat belts on the "Angels"

Posted · Report post

We have become a lawless village :(

Posted · Report post

Speaking of police and radar, what is it going to take to slow down the traffic that roars out of Beechwoods every day?  I have lived here for like 40 years and never once have seen any police traffic enforcement on Junedale.  4:00 - 4:15 is one of the worst times for the street traffic btw.

There is a little white bus that says "Precious Angels" or something like that on it.  Must not be too precious if you can do 45 MPH roaring up the street.  And no seat belts on the "Angels"

The police should be at the schools EVERYDAY during the morning commute of the buses into school property and at times of dismissal from the schools. UNLESS THERE ARE CRIMES BEING COMMITTED DURING THOSE TIMES THERE SHOULD BE NO EXCEPTIONS. And, I'm not talking about officers just sitting in cars running radar. IMHO, there should be one out front with a "SLOW DOWN" sign and another one in a car in case there is a need to follow someone.

The police have a sworn duty to serve and PROTECT. They should NOT be hiding in wait of traffic offenders. They should be SEEN and make a presence. THAT is what stops crime - not hiding and jumping out to surprise people whom often times have already committed the offense.

Uncle, on a side note those little buses taking children to and from school do not have share the same guidelines regarding seatbelts. It is the same as a yellow school bus.