Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

New Village Construction

2 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I was hoping to be able to add a photo of the front page of the Greenhills Journal, but I still haven't figured out how to do that. So, what are your thoughts on the newly proposed "home development" on Greenhills owned properties?

I, for one, am excited, and I cannot wait for the new development to begin. I live next door to one of the proposed sites, which (as an abandoned apartment building) has become a haven for drug users, and teenagers who want to hideout from police officers, after curfew. I have been subject to verbal assaults,  and my property has been burglarized (granted, there may not have been a relation between the burglary and verbal assaults), but assuming that one is seperate from the other would be remiss.  

I'm on the fence about the design of the modern proposed homes, but anything that would raise my property value, with a "hopeful" influx of homeowners peaks my interest.

Your thoughts..?

Edited by 4xeverything

Posted · Report post

I am cautiously optimistic, we bought our home about 25 years ago, and the combination of abysmal school district and shopping center decay has resulted in virtually no increase in value in all those years.  I am not saying increased property values are all we should be concerned about.  Quality of life and such are more important, but property value is a measurable (if flawed) metric for how "nice" a neighborhood is. 

My biggest fear, which is only somewhat related to this development, is the great increase in rental properties in the Village.  You can drive down the streets, and with almost 100% accuracy point to the houses that are rentals.  With no "skin in the game" the yards are un-kept, there are dilapidated vehicles in the drive, and bed sheets or even aluminum foil over the windows for drapes, gutters and shutters falling off.  Hopefully any redevelopment will bring interest in purchasing that might spill over to some of these currently rented properties.