Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Winton Woods City Schools Merging???

279 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

My son came home on Friday with a paper that stated Winton Woods will be having a community meeting on Sept.19 @the high school to discuss financial matters. It doesn't have any more details, but my son said his teacher told them that they are going to change all the elementary schools. The way he put it is that next year he will be in a building with all 5th graders. He didn't know what building though. Has anyone else heard this. I'm suprised that as soon as we reached "Effective" things are changing. My son attends Lakeside and they are rated "Excellent". And boy have the teachers and staff worked hard for that rating. Sounds like now everything is going to change. I will be attending the meeting. If anyone has any new info, let me know. If I am wrong--correct me please--Somebody..Say it isn't Sooo. huh.gif

Posted · Report post

I did hear about this. I plan on going to the meeting on the 19th to find out all the details. I hope they don't go through with this. I guess we will see soon.

Posted · Report post

So this is what WWWarrior was talking about. I don't know the details but I've always heard, if it isn't broke, don't fix it.

Posted · Report post

I'm sure it's a financial decision. I know this is the way they do it in a lot of districts anymore. It seems to be the trend and I'm sure educators can make a good case for this being more effective, but it seems to me to be a further erosion of neighborhood schools. I don't like the idea of youngsters being bussed miles away for school, or families having kids in several buildings.

Posted · Report post

I have heard that they are to close Cameron Park school and leave the other 4 open for the grades up til 6th grade. Then they go to the middle school...it doesn't effect me so whatever they do is whatever they do.

Posted · Report post

I have heard that they are to close Cameron Park school and leave the other 4 open for the grades up til 6th grade. Then they go to the middle school...it doesn't effect me so whatever they do is whatever they do.

It can affect you !!! When someone lives 2 minutes from a school where their kids can walk to and from and the kids get transfered to another community. You think there are too many for sale signs now.................Just wait !!! Then down goes our property values. Or was that "not for sale" signs ?

Posted · Report post

Schools are a significant part of any community, especially elementary schools. Grouping schools together by grade classification may be more immediately cost effective, however the end result may prove to be disastrous. I certainly hope that the school district understands the importance of schools within each community(Springfield Township, Greenhills and Forest Park).

A sense of community at the early stages (elementary stages) builds pride and character and is critical to the future of every child, and to each community. The challenge and focus will be to bring these communities together after the elementary phase (middle school). This is where the thinking and real test takes place. I believe this can be very easily done with smart planning and creative minds.

I personally would be extremely upset if each community were to lose their elementary school, in lieu of grade classification. I think it would have a significant, negative impact each community. This could be enough to push me over the edge. Now I may have two homes for sale.

Posted · Report post

Hay this could be a good thing if you ask old 1108. Look at it this way, 1108's spaceship is in "excellent" working order and now we know that old 1107's is saddled with parts that just dont make the grade. Well if we take some of the parts from my ship and put is on his ship and in return he gives me his weak parts then together we might end up with 2 effective spaceships!

Makes sense from where 1107 and 1108 come from.

Beechwoods Paylake at the bottom of Junedale!!!! Whoooo Whoooo

Posted · Report post

Copied from General Discussion from also 3 weeks ago.

(Hadley @ Aug 25 2006, 01:38 AM)

Sorry Warrior but this will flop like an egg in the village.

Just a thought here....  Is this a way that the district feels they can garuntee future levy passage in Greenhills? 

(WWWarrior Reply)

Look, why don't you wait till you hear the whole story before make up your mind. I was just responding to Dar's inquiry in some rather vague and non-committing language because 1) Nothing has been presented yet, 2) I can't really say much about it yet, 3) Nobody has made their mind which of the several options researched is what the public whats. Some GH's folks got an early view and thought it made a lot of sense, so please use great caution in reading too much into this at this point. I promise, when I can be more open AND you have heard all the facts then we'll go toe to toe...right here..well in a nice way.

School levies.....absolutely NO GUARANTEE, period. Our taxes are too high now.

Let me repeat, our taxes are too high now !!! There are some very conservative folks on your Board who will not ask for more money, until we have found all ways to save further money from the General Fund, sold off properties, find ways to generate more cash, without raising taxes. Uncle Ronny wouldn't want any other way.

Please wait to hear the facts before you make up your mind. Come to a meeting and find out. Better yet, I'd be happy to set up a private JUNEDALE.COM meeting with Dr. Nasbe, as she is willing to do that, as well. For crying out loud, don't jump to conclusions.

Posted · Report post

however the end result may prove to be disastrous.  I certainly hope that the school district understands the importance of schools within each community(Springfield Township, Greenhills and Forest Park).

.  I think it would have a significant, negative impact each community.  This could be enough to push me over the edge.  Now I may have two homes for sale.

Oh, for crying out loud Christine. You don't even know what the options are and you're already selling your home(s)...

I certainly hope that the school district understands the importance of schools within each community(Springfield Township, Greenhills and Forest Park).

This wasn't learned the first time?? Please.....

Click One Community Meetings

Posted · Report post

Just saying, elementary community schools are essential in my book.

Posted · Report post

Just saying, elementary community schools are essential in my book.

I couldn't agree more, but not just effective elementary schools, but excellent elementary schools.

Posted · Report post

I couldn't agree more, but not just effective elementary schools, but excellent elementary schools.

Yes, excellent elementary COMMUNITY schools. I agree with that.

Posted · Report post

Why are many of you so concerned with "community" schools when you send your children out of the community to attend school?

Posted · Report post

mad.gif Don't get me started this early in the AM !!!

Posted · Report post

Why are many of you so concerned with "community" schools when you send your children out of the community to attend school?

I believe in Catholic education, unfortunately our option for community Catholic education was terminated. That's one of the main reasons we even elected to live in Greenhills. That's why several people were very upset, their strong belief for Catholic education and community schools was disrupted. So people had to make a decision. What Greenhills has going for itself is not the housing, but the value it places on it's community. I firmly believe schools build communities and more importantly good communities build good schools; pride and commitment. I really think the pride people feel towards Greenhills, and schools, is summed up best in this speech:

Posted · Report post

I went to our PTO meeting at Lakeside last night. It was brought up by a parent but our principle was not able to give us any info at all. Only just to be at the meeting next week to find out for sure. I'm not jumping to conclusions too soon. I will be at the 1st meeting on Sept.19th @7:00 in the high school cafateria. Come if your are interested. I was told last night that the board is going to throw out a few options for us and they will answer questions that we may have and then make a decision. The second meeting is at the middle school on sept. 26th@7:00. A friend of mine who is a teacher at Cameron Park said that they were already told that their building will be closing. So we know that for sure. But anyone who is interested please come to one of these and voice your concerns whether good or bad. It effects all of us one way or another.

Posted · Report post

The one of the biggest problems you had with OLR is that nobody was communicating with you about something as important and emotional as our children and their education. And certainly, that is the central concern in this proposal and needs, requires, demands that you hear the whole facts as there are several options and several reasons why it needs to be considered. That is why there are multiple opportunities to receive the facts and four months in which to provide input into the proposal before any decision is made. And to be sure, no decision has been made. And no, we are NOT taking consulting from the Archdiocese on “no decision been made”.

Yes, this has to do with financial concerns of the district in the future. The State of Ohio has gone from being the primary source of school funding (in the 1980’s) to a quickly shrinking minority. The most recent reduction is the phase out of Business Personal Property taxation to the new CAT Tax, of which schools don’t figure into the equation. Even after 4 Supreme Court decisions, the Ohio Legislature has still failed to address the over dependence of local property taxpayers in regard to their schools.

The goal is to do everything possible to reduce overhead costs from the General Fund (salaries), find or support new sources of income, sell underused assets, BEFORE the school comes back to voters asking for more taxes. This proposal is just a part of that process. And the real trick is to do this and not harm, but improve the educational process.

Christine, I take exception to GoBucks comment that you should not have a voice in this matter because you send your children to Catholic schools. It is too easy to say that you, because don’t have a “horse in this race”, you should not be vocal. (And far be from me to stop you from being vocal...) You and I know that public schools provide essential services (transportation and special needs) to students who attend Catholic schools, let alone what the perception of a school district success has upon a community.

Our perception is complicated by the fact that we have three masters in that regard. I will say this, none of the options, in my opinion, harm Greenhills. As you can imagine that is kind of a sensitive issue with us. However, it is a change and folks need to understand what the options are, have their input heard, a forum to provide improvements, and the reasons why it is necessary to even consider the changes.

Get facts, the whole story. If you can’t get to one of the meetings on the 19th or 26th, I’d be happy to set up a special “Junedale.com Neighborhood Meeting” with Dr. Nasbe.

Posted · Report post

I didn't say that they didn't or shouldn't have a voice, just wondering why they are so concerned with a decision which is irrelevant to the education of their children. Additionally, the concept of neighborhood schools, I think, is a romantic throwback to our childhoods. I'd be curious to see if their is any hard evidence that it impacts the actual education of children. Bottom line, it is not the responsibility of elementary schools to be the source of community pride and spirit. Their responsibility is to educate our children. Further, I don't think that children have as much of a problem with this....it's the parents who are wedded to the concept.

I do understand the desire to have community members "buy into" the success of their schools. But if the only reason to maintain a method is to keep the adults content regardless of the validity of the method, then we've lost our way in providing a quality product for our children.

All I'm saying, here, is listen to the proposals first. smile.gif

Posted · Report post

I didn't say that they didn't or shouldn't have a voice, just wondering why they are so concerned with a decision which is irrelevant to the education of their children. Additionally, the concept of neighborhood schools, I think, is a romantic throwback to our childhoods. I'd be curious to see if their is any hard evidence that it impacts the actual education of children. Bottom line, it is not the responsibility of elementary schools to be the source of community pride and spirit. Their responsibility is to educate our children. Further, I don't think that children have as much of a problem with this....it's the parents who are wedded to the concept.

I do understand the desire to have community members "buy into" the success of their schools. But if the only reason to maintain a method is to keep the adults content regardless of the validity of the method, then we've lost our way in providing a quality product for our children.

GoBucks, I am open to sound ideas and I will take a look at all the options. At the same time I disagree with several of your statements in this post. It's evident we have different views on what a community is and how all the elements impact one another.

Posted · Report post

yes, we do have a voice, as a taxpayer I most certainly have the right to voice my opinions and concerns, and as a voter, if I don't like what is happening I have the right to express my opinion at the voting booth.

Yes, I send my child to Catholic school, for reasons beyond my control I send him out of the vilage, not my choice. That does not mean that I don't care about what happens to the schools in my community. Community involvement should not just be limited to picking up trash or planting flowers. ALL members of the community need to be involved at some level with all aspects of the community, education and schools included.

Posted · Report post

As a WW high school graduate I have the memory of my community elementary school and as someone involved in public education I understand the hurdles that districts are up agianst when it comes to funding and the . With this said, I do hope that that WW can find a way to keep the schools open IF the educational needs of the students can still be met.

I attended Lakeside as a child, the old GH high school for 7-8th grade, the old Forest Park middle school for 9th grade, and then the high school for 10-12th grade. What ever the district decides to do I hope that they make one decison about moving students. It was frustrating for us having to go to a new school constantly. However, I know that some of this was due to the fact that this was when the schools were merging.

Either way what comes first is providing the best education for ALL students in the district.

Posted · Report post

Again, I DID NOT say that you didn't or shouldn't have a voice. unsure.gif Obviously you do and I think that's great. All I'm suggesting is that you chose education over community in your choice of schools and I don't think that you should be so quick to expect public school kids to have to settle for community over education.

If the proposed changes lead to a better educational experience, that should be the deciding factor.

Again.....you should have a voice.

Posted · Report post

Again, please get the full story. Please don't depend on hearsay and speculation. If you would like, we can do a "Junedale.com Parent Meeting", someone just needs to say, why don't you set that up WWW.... we're available ????

Here is the link for the meetings:

Click On Community Meetings

Posted · Report post

Set that up, WW!