Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Winton Woods City Schools Merging???

279 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Christine -

I am really confused here. I do not discount the possible value of "community". I guess I'm just inclined to think that parental values precede sense of community. Maybe their sense of values is what made people value the sense of community. I think that people can choose to make a community out of almost any grouping they choose. It's the values they hold in common which make them a community not necessarily their geographical/political boundaries.

The body of Christ is a prime example. Are there church buildings which incorporate the various parts of the body? Yes, of course. And, in many senses they make the demonstration of the body easier. But, is a physical entity necessary for there to be a functioning body of Christ? Absolutely not. It is a community based on values not on physical parameters.

Posted · Report post

Will, is that you ? Oh man I am one of your biggest...............

ah, nevermind !!!

Posted · Report post

I know this will kill you P83, but you have just proved my point. Community is as you describe, "the union of many around a shared cause or belief." It is not a building, or a geographical boundary. Therefore, the specific organization of a school district can still encompass "community" if the people want it to. It doesn't require a neighborhood school within walking distance as good a concept as that is. A neighborhood school may be sufficient to elicit a sense of community but it is not necessary.

Posted · Report post

Warrior, who are you talking to? Who is sporting pitchforks?

(and tongue and cheek)

Ease up there fella, note the feeble attempt at Russian, levity and have a "Nice Driveway".

I understand that Community and Schools have many secondary definitions, in particular in Greenhills. I think you'd find it interesting that when interviewing Superintendent candidates a few years back, one specific question was asked about their position on "Community Schools". Dr. Nasbe was the only one that was relatively close and in her tenure her has become intimately aware of this issue and it's many nuances wthin the District.

This is clearly an emotional issue for parents of children who are affected, for employees, for members of our communities. To say emotions weren't taken into account is not factual. If we could turn emotions into dollars ......well But all I have asked is that people get the full story. Junedale.com and the backyard fence can't necessarily cover everything that is important for everyone to understand.

If I could fully explain here I would. Further, at this point, it's important that the source be of one voice, because it is her recommendation (which she hasn't made and the Board hasn't heard or taken any action). And, as has been demostrated in some outcomes from early group meetings the options have been modified to make them better, not perfect, but better.

Posted · Report post

Finally, a fact that there seems to be a great deal more concern with WHO is in a building versus WHAT IS GOING ON in a building. Lakeside and Beechwoods have the perception that they are the neighbor kids schools, when in fact more than a 1/3 of both schools don’t live in the “service area” for those schools. If you have missed WHAT IS GOING ON in Cameron Park, Waycross, and Winton Forest (NOW, not 5-10 years ago) then you don’t know the full story. The talent, the spirit, and commitment to educating children in those schools have been inspiring.

I find this comment very offensive in that you would say that Lakeside and Beechwood(I'm assuming parents) would be dumb enough to believe that our school is made up of community kids. No one has made a statement like that. Because we have so much school pride we are being singled out! Not fair. Just because we like our schools the way they are.(diversity and all) After seeing the presentation we are smart enough to figue out that there is a serious financial problem. Every time you turn around there's a problem. That doesn't lesson the sadness for anyone. Yes, we will move on like everyone else, but I guarantee that we will be the ones at school helping to make the transitions go well for the sake of our kids. BTW..I live 7 houses down from Winton Forest and believe me I have seen enough to know that's not what I want for my kid. been there, done that. My child, who by the way is of color was welcomed open arms at Lakeside so no one can play that race card with me. Been there, done that too. It's more like our family is being broken up. But we will survive and move on, wherever that may be. GOD BLESS YOU ALL!!!!

Posted · Report post

I find this comment very offensive in that you would say that Lakeside and Beechwood(I'm assuming parents) would be dumb enough to believe that our school is made up of community kids. No one has made a statement like that.

Whoa, wait a second. You read a lot into what I said. I think, in general communities, at large, YES would be surprised that a good chunk of kids in each of those two schools are intradistrict transfers. I did not say parents of students in those schools and I sure didn't say you were dumb. If you read something into that, I'm sorry.

Enrollment in schools across Hamilton County are down. Of the 350 students at Beechwoods, only 200 are from Greenhills. The story is similar at Lakeside. Parents at those schools are aware of that, but others may not. That's all.

I understand your opinions and concerns. I appreciate that you took the time to see what the facts were. My point is, what if you hadn't and only trusted second hand info.

Posted · Report post

I find this comment very offensive in that you would say that Lakeside and Beechwood(I'm assuming parents) would be dumb enough to believe that our school is made up of community kids. No one has made a statement like that. Because we have so much school pride we are being singled out! Not fair. Just because we like our schools the way they are.(diversity and all) After seeing the presentation we are smart enough to figue out that there is a serious financial problem. Every time you turn around there's a problem. That doesn't lesson the sadness for anyone. Yes, we will move on like everyone else, but I guarantee that we will be the ones at school helping to make the transitions go well for the sake of our kids. BTW..I live 7 houses down from Winton Forest and believe me I have seen enough to know that's not what I want for my kid. been there, done that. My child, who by the way is of color was welcomed open arms at Lakeside so no one can play that race card with me. Been there, done that too. It's more like our family is being broken up. But we will survive and move on, wherever that may be. GOD BLESS YOU ALL!!!!

Yes, this comment is offensive and hurtful. The state labeled Lakeside "excellance". Should we not be proud of that? WOW. How does everyone think we became that? Hard work and alot of parental help. We are concerned with who's in the building as well as what's going on in the building. The who is what makes the rest. I don't understand that statement at all. The public schools don't have a say in who enters their doors everyday, but we can make sure they get the best education possible. Parents and the community involvement do have alot to do with how well the school succeeds. If my child knows that I will be up there in a heartbeat if I got a call saying he was acting up, he would try a lot harder to stay on the correct path. That's the problem now a days. parents don't want their children disciplined by teacher, but they refuse to do it themselves. That is why it takes parent involvement to make a school run. And yes, we are interested in the financial future of our schools, I just wish my kids didn't have to go to a new school every 2 years(as stated in option#1) to make it work. I truely hope they don't decide on that option.

Posted · Report post

Ok warrior dont beat me up for this but.... I think the Christian school over on rt. 4 operates as a k-12 school on one campus... How efficient of a business model is this? Does it affect the quality of education to have such a broad age group in one building??

Headly,

I didn't forget you and your question. From a pure business standpoint, I could see that a K-12 might be efficient. The reason it might be efficient is that you are not duplicating things, one location, one maintenence staff, one bus location. Frankly, not duplicating efforts drove some of the considerations in the options mentioned above in our elementary discussions.

There are public school examples in the vicinity, Fairfield Local (Clinton or Highland County?) in Leesburg, OH. This is a very small farming area. It was an early OSFC project that I personally worked on. They didn't have the money to rehab their 1920-30's school and opted for a K-12, heavily funded by the State and the locals didn't have much say in it's layout and design. The local board really struggled to come up with the funds to develop athletic facilities, besides the gym, as that has to be all local money.

Does it effect the quality of education? Well, in most cases there seems to be a lot of effort in these schools to define and separate into age groups, even though it's pretty small student populations. They typically are limited to the range of classes offered to the upper grades, music, arts, and athletics are all challenges, as people do expect that to be part of the school equation. If you're just a 3 R's kind of person, it's OK. Most people expect more and I think the kids want more to the experience, as well. Again, if it's a complete and thorough education, OK.

Why do you ask, do you want to start one?

Posted · Report post

Posted · Report post

Whoa, wait a second. You read a lot into what I said. I think, in general communities, at large, YES would be surprised that a good chunk of kids in each of those two schools are intradistrict transfers. I did not say parents of students in those schools and I sure didn't say you were dumb. If you read something into that, I'm sorry.

Enrollment in schools across Hamilton County are down. Of the 350 students at Beechwoods, only 200 are from Greenhills. The story is similar at Lakeside. Parents at those schools are aware of that, but others may not. That's all.

I understand your opinions and concerns. I appreciate that you took the time to see what the facts were. My point is, what if you hadn't and only trusted second hand info.

I took it as it was printed "lakeside and beechwoods have the perception" I tought you meant us. If other parents aren't in our schools to see, of course they don't know what it's like.but they can pick up the school calander that their child should have brought home weeks ago and read about their childs school district. It is clearly stated in it the racial make up of each school as well as enrollment figures. I do understand the fact that enrollment has declined over the past few years, thus something must be done. It is obvious that people want answers to questions like where is the money going and so on. I feel these meetings will address all of these questions. But I don't think anyone should be criticized for asking. I feel Dr. Nasbe has our kids best interest at heart for the long haul. But it's ok for open discussion and diagreement. I don't believe what everyone tells me. I like to find outfor myself, but that doesn't stop me from discussing it with others. It's good to get other peoples prospective on things and I always have valued your knowledge of the subjects. I just feel that sometimes as a lakeside parent people see us as obnoctious, we are not, we just care about our school and the kids. That's not to say the other schools do not. I sincerely hope they do. They must be doing something right also, the district is now rated "effective", that is really something to be proud of.

Posted · Report post

Sailorbum. Thanks for letting me clarify that point. One's mind and their fingers do not always meet at the same point on the screen.

Posted · Report post

I haven't said one single word about how these concepts can or should be applied to the current situation facing our schools. But that's only because my pitchfork is at the shop being sharpened.
biggrin.gif Keep the pitchfork there bud. Shoe horns and butter work better.

Posted · Report post

Ok warrior dont beat me up for this but.... I think the Christian school over on rt. 4 operates as a k-12 school on one campus... How efficient of a business model is this? Does it affect the quality of education to have such a broad age group in one building??

Hey hadley, How the heck are ya? Just thought I would let you know if your talking about Cincinnati Christian on rt.4 they only have k-5 on route 4. The rest 6-12 are housed out on Morris road I believe that is considered FF township. It's just off the by-pass and Tylersville Rd. Just thought I would pass along that piece of info to ya. Hope you are doing well and adjusting to SJV. Talk to ya soon. AC's#1fan..Boy I might change that screen name, he's been gettin' on my nerves. tongue.gif

Posted · Report post

Back to my earlier question: Is $$$ the only reason GH can't have it's own school system????

Probably. I know when it was looked at and discussed back in the 1990's there is also the issue of getting the State's and the State Board of Education's approval to split the district. That was going to be a tough nut to crack back then for number of different reasons. Given just the financial atmosphere in Columbus these days, geez.... They don't want more school districts, just bigger "efficient" ones.

If you looked at the Charter School angle, you still have to get the State's approval and they have stopped or greatly slowed the approval process for additional Charters.

So, the answer...money is probably the biggest, not the only.

Posted · Report post

Cameron Park school received an "EXCELLENT" rating too (don't know if it was this year last or the year before that but who cares).

I don't think that there is a single living soul that does not know that LS received "Excellent" on the State Report Card. And I am not implying that the parents, kids and staff should not be proud. But there's a lot more to one's character than the rating on a State Report Card. I don't judge my own kid based on his school report card. There are other things that are important.

There are a lot of factors that go into that! And that does not make the rest of the elementary schools in this district "less than." If nothing else this is one reason that could make me GLAD they are going to reconfigure the district.

It is this kind of post that reminds me of the "big picture."

Back to my earlier question: Is $$$ the only reason GH can't have it's own school system????

Which post are you referring to? I think it was stated on an earlier post that all the schools must have improved that's why the rating of "effective" applies to the whole district. I don't think it is necessary to question ones character because they are happy with their school. And you are right, the schools consolidating will probably make each building better because they will all have parents that care. The Lakside parents will be split up just like the rest of them. They can't help but improve.

Posted · Report post

Smith, (or Jones,whoever. I know Warrior was giving you the business on that one), I was simpy responding to a quote from warrior, I am not angry over any of the schools in the district. As I have stated many times, I hope they are all striving to be great. I have teacher friends in every single elem. school. I know they are all wonderful including cameron Park.One of my best friend teaches there. We are not happy that some teachers will lose their jobs, but the district is in need of change. I personally had no idea of the views that other schools have toward Lakeside and have never heard of any anamosity within the 5 but if you heard that I'm sure it's all TRUE. But one can't help but get a sense that you are angry with Lakeside over something. I am all about improving the school district. I think it's more of a problem for the parents than the kids. Kids adapt well in all kinds of situations. I personally don't like the idea of kids changing buildings every 2 years. But I can deal with it, I'm not angry over it. It is just sad, and I do feel for people from BW,CP,WF, and WC for the fact that they could just walk to school in their neighborhoods and now will have to be bused. But eventually all of them will have to be bused at some point. I not trying to come across as angry or offensive. I do care about the system as a whole and for all of our sakes and for our property values I want our schools to all be "excellant".

I want my kids to be proud Warriors and remember where they came from.

Posted · Report post

I totally agree, and maybe I have been reading more into some posts. It's easy to do from a computer. We can all agree that this transition needs to be done smoothly for our kids education. I will support what ever option is chosen. It's just not in my nature not to. I've been on this too much today. Good night to all and Smith best of luck to you and your family. cool.gif

Posted · Report post

whether you opt for private or public schools, the survival of any village, town, city or whatever you call the community depends on the quality of the public schools. It could also be said that the identity of the community depends largely on the public schools. When people make the decision on where they move, one of the first things they check out are the schools, whether they have kids or not, and whether or not they are going to send their kids to those schools. Would I like to see Greenhills have a community school system? Sure. Is it feasible or possible? I'm not qualified to answer that. Regardless, I think it is imperative that we ALL do what we can to make the schools that we have better and better. No matter their makeup, they are the heart of the communities they serve. No matter who is attending and where they reside, Beechwoods and WW Middle School ARE the Greenhills community schools, and are communities unto themselves, just as OLR was. Because our children attend Lakeside, the High School and others, those are our community schools as well.

So, no matter what happens to the makeup of the schools in the district, let's try to remember that

Posted · Report post

Hey hadley, How the heck are ya? Just thought I would let you know if your talking about Cincinnati Christian on rt.4 they only have k-5 on route 4. The rest 6-12 are housed out on Morris road I believe that is considered FF township. It's just off the by-pass and Tylersville Rd. Just thought I would pass along that piece of info to ya. Hope you are doing well and adjusting to SJV. Talk to ya soon. AC's#1fan..Boy I might change that screen name, he's been gettin' on my nerves. tongue.gif

Thanks for asking.... Hadley and crew are doing just fine and adjusting well to SJV. Thanks for setting me straight on the Cincinnati Christian question I checked and one of the ways they are able to make the 2 buildings work is by charging $4 - $5k for tuition even at the elementary level (ouch)

How is the famiy doing? Tell Charles I said hello.. Tell Al that if he does not shape up that I will put him in a pink uniform next year....

Speaking of uniforms, RJ's grampa wants to sponsor the team next year ONLY if he can get the boys REAL baseball uniforms! - Be sure to tell Al!

Looking forward to next season and we plan to start very early next year to get a jump on the competition.

Congratulations on LS.... It takes alot of hard work by the teachers, students AND parents to achieve that status. Knowing how involved you are with your kids I am sure whatever school AL ends up in will benefit from it

Posted · Report post

does is mean that there will be no junedale.com team? say it isn't so!

Posted · Report post

does is mean that there will be no junedale.com team? say it isn't so!

In addition to the sponsor fee of $100, RJ's grampa is willing to spend roughly $50-$75 extra for each player (all 14 of them). That's alot of money and I think we should take him up on his offer. If that falls thru which I dont think it will, we will ask the junedalers to open their pocketbooks once again.

Posted · Report post

Oh, I suppose. As cool as we thought the T's were, the kids would obviously prefer the real thing. Can't say as I blame them. But....they will always be junedalers at heart!

Posted · Report post

I have a question!!! This has bugged me from day one when I heard the name that was chosen for our community schools. Winton Woods City Schools---where is the city oF Winton Woods????? I'm sure relieved that my family is settled snug with our choice of schools!! If Screamin would've chosen to send The No Man to Beechwoods, he would've had to be prepared to change schools again in the following year. or so. This is so difficult on a child, not to mention their parents!!

Posted · Report post

Speaking of school rating and test scores I ran across an AP story on the roadrunner website today that shows some schools around the country are excluding some test scores in the rating system. WW was not one of them listed but what shocked me was the number excluded by Wyoming. The attached pdf file is just a short sample of area schools

Unreported.pdf

Posted · Report post

I have a question!!!  This has bugged me from day one when I heard the name that was chosen for our community schools.  Winton Woods City Schools---where is the city oF Winton Woods????? 

It's also Princeton City Schools, Finneytown City Schools....

Assume it is a legal (state) requirement. There are also "Local" and "Rural" school districts.

I have always wondered too. Warrior?