Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Special Board Meeting

231 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Mr Andwan attacks the three plans based on the fact that the committe members who created them did not live in the district. If he wants anyone to take him serious he better establish how living outside the district would affect their decisions. The idea that only someone from the WWCS can work towards a solution the the problems faced by the WWCS is ridiculous. If this is the path he chooses to validate "option 4" he should take a walk.

Posted · Report post

I cant fault him too much as I was once in his shoes and remember how difficult it was to accept that people were making decisions at this level that would not affect their families in any shape or form.

I guess you have to be there to see where he is comming from. A representative of those most affected should have been part of the committe in my opinion

Posted · Report post

I do think that you need to throw into the list of considerations the fact that the committee members might have been the most professionally capable of investigating the information in a timely manner. By that I mean that there is so much to digest and so many factors which need to be considered, it might have made sense to have people who are familiar with the issues on a day to day basis evaluating the data. Also, they do bring a level of objectivity that would probably not exist in community members. Having said that, in retrospect, it might make sense to have had at least one community member part of the committee.

Posted · Report post

By that I mean that there is so much to digest and so many factors which need to be considered, it might have made sense to have people who are familiar with the issues on a day to day basis evaluating the data. Also, they do bring a level of objectivity that would probably not exist in community members. Having said that, in retrospect, it might make sense to have had at least one community member part of the committee.

Well Gobucks now we agree on 2 things....

Emotions could create cloudy thinking BUT without those emotions one may not be able to see the ENTIRE picture. Very tough call

Posted · Report post

Say what you want but this committee of "professionals" came up with a supposed 10 plans. And by Dr. Nasbe's own admission, only 3 were actually put to paper - 7 were "verbal" (her words) and not analyzed. So, what do you call that when the district says they considered 10 options but in actuality they only considered three? You can see why some parents are calling foul...

Posted · Report post

Mr Andwan attacks the three plans based on the fact that the committe members who created them did not live in the district. If he wants anyone to take him serious he better establish how living outside the district would affect their decisions. The idea that only someone from the WWCS can work towards a solution the the problems faced by the WWCS is ridiculous. If this is the path he chooses to validate "option 4" he should take a walk.

That response is way too harsh. The residency of the committee members is not central to his case: the financial analysis and the viability of Option 4 is the core of his case, and the residency of the committee members is tangential at most. It's a detail. Debate the importance of that detail if you want, discard that detail altogether if you want, but don't throw out the baby with the bathwater.

Telling this guy to "take a hike" is plain silly. He has presented legitimate, valuable information that is worthy of consideration. Make your own decisions as to how this information will affect your personal decisions/opinions, but if you're going to comment at least go through the decision-making process. Don't take the easy way out by slamming the whole thing over one detail that doesn't sit well with you.

Posted · Report post

It would have been better if there were people from both inside the community and outside. They could have brought more points of views to the table. I had no clue that all of them were from outside the community, as did most people in the room. It think it's correct in saying that I don't think most people knew that. Some people will care and some won't. But it's nice to get the facts anyway. I wouldn't attack the presenters character because he stated this fact. The board brought up the con's of his option 4 also. We are all entitled to the information no matter good or bad.

Posted · Report post

Local Family in Need:

Here's what I propose:

A cease-fire until after Christmas. During this time we have an opportunity to see what we can do by working together and not against each other. We can resume the bickering next year, if so desired.

But from now till then, all is forgotten and forgiven.

Have you all forgotten this? Shame on you, especially you Dazed, you were the one who suggested the cease fire in first place.

Posted · Report post

Your right CDR and we should probably all move on with our lives. The deal is done. We can either sit around and complain and make ourselves miserable or accept the things we cannot change and make the best of. I plan to do the latter. No more complaints. We will probably sit down and make our decision after the Holidays(public or private?) and what ever we decide I will be at his school helping as much as I do now. I want him to be prepared for where ever he goes and not have him sit around the rest of the school year not knowing where he will be come fall. So I would like to wish everyone Happy Holidays and great health for the new year and most of all peace and love in your hearts. BTW, CDR please don't make Luis go in the girls section to shop for Alyssa. Ha! HA! He can come and hang out with Alex instead.

Posted · Report post

Your right CDR and we should probably all move on with our lives. The deal is done. We can either sit around and complain and make ourselves miserable or accept the things we cannot change and make the best of. I plan to do the latter. No more complaints. We will probably sit down and make our decision after the Holidays(public or private?) and what ever we decide I will be at his school helping as much as I do now. I want him to be prepared for where ever goes and not have him sit around the rest of the school year not knowing where he will be come fall. So I would like to wish everyone Happy Holidays and great health for the new year and most of all peace and love in your hearts. BTW, CDR please don't make Luis go in the girls section to shop for Alyssa. Ha! HA1 He can come and hang out with Alex instead.

I avoid taking Luis shopping whenever I can, that kind of misery I don't need in my life....... I LOVE to shop for girls, I live vicariously through nieces, etc. I LOVE my son, but he gets really cranky when I try to put him in a dress

Posted · Report post

I agree 100% with Mr. Andwan. There was no "residential" representation in drafting the options. In fact, they did not draft all the options, only three were drafted at an extremely high level. If it were an open and honest process all 10 options would have had data attached to them.

You should always have representation from all facets whether people like it or not. Mr. Andwan is "dead on" with his letter. There should have been representation from the Board, Forest Park, Greenhills, Springfield Township and other administration. The facilitator should be an outside, unbiased individual with "no skin in the game".

These were not options, there are more options in an ice cream store. At least in an ice cream store you get to pick from chocolate, vanilla or strawberry. The WWSD ice cream store served vanilla, french vanilla or vanilla bean.

Posted · Report post

i feel its time we start moving on and start looking to the positive...lets see how we can help and improve our district...i have visited each of our schools and have been impressed with each of them...i have lived in greenhills for 11 years now and did not move here for a school...we moved here to have a home...if we would have known we were going to be amongst some fighting neighbors we would have never moved here...life is too short...the board members live in the district...their children currently go and have gone to our schools....they have and do strive for the same goals we do for our children....a great education....the board members have researched this for hours, days and weeks....they dont just take the word of dr. nasbe....i feel its time to stop focusing on keeping one school open and and focus on how we can unite all of our schools...support one another and not teach our children one is better than another...we all bring different strengths to the table and can build on those...

Posted · Report post

Excellent post.

Posted · Report post

What a great forum! Maybe "you can't go home again," but it sure is fun to drop in for a visit.

Having spent the first 18 years of my career in public education in the GH-FP / WW City School District (16 at GHS), I have some perspective on the way things evolved and changed (and perhaps on how they've stayed the same for quite a while?) My career experiences probably mirror the journey of some former Greenhills residents who left for suburbs to the northeast - I've been at Mason H.S. for the last 12 of my present 34 in public ed. Ironically, when I accepted Mason's offer, I told my wife: "It'll be like going back to G.H.S." Well, Mason ain't the second coming of Greenhills any longer, Toto.

Likewise, my wife and my experiences and decisions on the schooling of our children have run the range of the options folks have mentioned here. Our kids have done homeschooling, public school, and private school. Given the options available, the deciding factors in all those decisions were: A. What would be in the best interest of each of our children ? A-1. What was realistic given our circumstances and resources? (and not just financial resources) So it doesn't seem as if we made decisions any differently from the folks who might be weighing their options as they consider the changes facing the Winton Woods District today.

If you had asked me in my early years of teaching at GHS (and I've been around long enough to still consider Ed Billingsley one of my heroes in education), I'd have told you I fully intended to finish my career on Farragut Road. Unfortunately, change happens everywhere. It's when folks perceive the change as being too negative that they think better of trying to leap a twenty-foot chasm in two ten-foot leaps.

Teacher Man

Posted · Report post

Welcome Teacher man. Any chance if we guess who you might be, you'd answer us ? I have two guesses and one might be a certain track coach/ english teacher ?

Please drop by anytime .

Posted · Report post

i too am burning with curiosity about who teacher man is!!!

Big night tonight folks. BIG NIGHT.

Posted · Report post

That response is way too harsh. The residency of the committee members is not central to his case: the financial analysis and the viability of Option 4 is the core of his case, and the residency of the committee members is tangential at most. It's a detail. Debate the importance of that detail if you want, discard that detail altogether if you want, but don't throw out the baby with the bathwater.

Telling this guy to "take a hike" is plain silly. He has presented legitimate, valuable information that is worthy of consideration. Make your own decisions as to how this information will affect your personal decisions/opinions, but if you're going to comment at least go through the decision-making process. Don't take the easy way out by slamming the whole thing over one detail that doesn't sit well with you.

School Administrators and the Superintendent approached groups of stakeholders within all three communities with what was sold as the three best options of delivering education in the district. All three proposals require grade clustering of elementary students and closing a neighborhood elementary. The creation of these plans were drawn by five administrators from the central office none living in the affected neighborhoods. They privately drafted three proposals over the past 9 months and plan to implement one of these plans within the next 9 months. The School Board elected representatives will ultimately decide which one to implement. Administration and the Superintendent survey of the communities consisted of "Which one of the only three available options do you want us endorse?"

If this is the path he chooses to validate "option 4" he should take a walk.

Nobody is saying "option 4" is not valid. I'm saying the residency detail is a weak basis to use as your primary support. I see none of the items you mention in this post. Perhaps he has made valid points elsewhere, but this article is a swing and a miss with me.

At this point in the game it is time to go after the ball, rather than arguing the ball-carrier stepped out of bounds somewhere upfield.

Posted · Report post

The residency was not part of the Option 4 presentation. Option 4 has a great deal of merit. The article was an overview of who developed Option 1-3, it had nothing to do with Option 4. Option 4 is based on nothing more than factual information. As for Options 1-3, he is very much correct on the fact that the decision makers had no stake in the game...on top of the fact that their views were not impartial. Both gentlemen worked long and hard to develop Option 4...kudos to them.

Posted · Report post

Any chance if we guess who you might be, you'd answer us ? I have two guesses and one might be a certain track coach/ english teacher ?

I guess it's a good thing to be "outed" so quickly. You won't have to use your second guess. Riley tells my kids I look exactly the same (ha!). If it's true, I guess that 70's-vintage picture doesn't give my identity away (must be the beard).

I, on the other hand have no clue who most of you folks are - well almost none. You can pm me with your true identities.

Spent some time this summer reconnecting with Greenhills people ('Dazed' among them - see, I do know a few). Good to see Greenhills is still place with such a great sense of community - even when lining up on different sides of issues.

Teacher Man

Posted · Report post

I was commenting on the artice in the link and nothing else. The only thing that looks like an objection is the reference to the committe members not being residents. Counselor (OK counselor's wife) you are referring to facts not in evidence. Probably quite true, but not contained in the article I was commenting on.

Posted · Report post

Anybody go to the meeting? I stayed home - just couldn't do it again, last week got me too upset.

Anyway, dying of curiosity over here about which option they chose. I just can't imagine....

Seriously though, I am curious so I know its "official"....

Posted · Report post

Its official, option 3.

Posted · Report post

I'm SHOCKED. (ha ha).

Oh well, kinda relieved its over. Now we can figure out what to do next....

Posted · Report post

I hope, for the sake of the kids, that the response to "what to do next" is to work like crazy to make this the best possible experience for everyone. It can be, you know.

Posted · Report post

option 3 is it...i guess its time for everyone to roll up their sleeves and get to work...it's time to accept the new change and focus educating our children...it's been a long road....