NEW levy info

282 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

The Winton Woods City School Board unanimously passed a resolution at its December 10th meeting to place a 7.95 mill operating levy on the March 4, 2008 ballot.

The purpose of this levy is to attract and retain top quality staff, to purchase the appropriate learning and technological resources for our classrooms, and to upgrade our safety and security. The cost, based on a home market value of $100,000, is less than $20 per month, or $235 annually.

Posted · Report post

It won't get MY VOTE!!! huh.gif

Posted · Report post

Thanks Cincy this is one to think about??? dry.gif

I go on the school thread and read about all the problems and how unhappy folks are and now they want 7.9 million????? dry.gif

Seems they could do a lot of fixin with what they got before trying to drag it out of common folk???

As the good ole saying goes:

Make sure your own kitchen is clean before you try and clean mine! mad.gif

Posted · Report post

they want 7.9 million?????

7.95 Mil = $4,250,000. Mil is a measurement of your home value for taxation.

1 Mil raises $535,000 based upon the current property values in the three communities.

If passed in 2008, the first time anyone would be billed would be in 2009. The schools only get 1/2 that money in 2009 and would not see the full $4,250,000 until 2010.

$100,000 home would pay $235/yr. or $19.59/month. This amount does not go up each year, it stays the same regardless if the value of your home goes up.

Posted · Report post

As the good ole saying goes:

Make sure your own kitchen is clean before you try and clean mine! mad.gif

I don't recall the exact figure, but I think the school saved 4 million by the reconfiguration.

I really think people need to think hard about this one. We all know that the schools have a major impact not only on property values, but also on community image. Do we really want to vote this down and let the schools slide? Or, do we try and improve things?

Not sure where I stand, just urging everyone to not rush to any quick decisions

Posted · Report post

Understandably it is an unfair tax burden for all property owners to pay. However I question the "what ifs" of the levy failing. It is well known and well publicized that the state is failing to fund public schools in an equitable fashion. When this happens it is either go to the tax payers to make up the difference or cut programs such as drama, music, sports, and busing etc.

In the last few weeks it appears that there are rumblings in the state legislature to possibly rectify the wrong that districts and tax payers have had to bear for too long. Still, it is in the best interest for the school and the property owners to ensure that the district is receiving sufficient funds to continue operating at its current service level. Imagine if Winton Woods had to cut music or sports? What would happen to the attractiveness of our neighborhoods then? The property values? You can not allow the schools in your community to fail. The district has done a great job in my opinion (biased as it may be) of improving its rating, increasing service level (after school programs, foreign languages, etc), and keeping budgets in line (reconfiguration). If Winton Woods were the district putting levies on the ballot that would be one thing, but they are not.

Stop looking for the smoking gun in the financials expecting to find that the district has purchased a fleet of Mercedes' for all staff. The numbers are certified and Winton Woods is not the next Enron. Like many businesses in the private sector these days, our schools are forced to either increase revenues as costs grow, or decrease services and cut costs to align with decreased revenues.

Posted · Report post

Stop looking for the smoking gun in the financials expecting to find that the district has purchased a fleet of Mercedes' for all staff. The numbers are certified and Winton Woods is not the next Enron.

????

Posted · Report post

There have been a lot of questions, might I even say speculation in some of the threads, towards the financials of the district. At some points questioning the authenticity, correctness, or justification for expenditures. This was not directed at anyone in particular. However the speculative nature that some have shown towards the districts expenditures lead me to believe there are some skeptics among us, and that was who my comment was directed at.

I might add its good to question such things but after they have been answered, believe them. This is just what I have observed the past few times WWCS has put a levy on the ballot. If the comment offended anyone I'll remove it from the site.

Posted · Report post

Firstly, does the current 5 Year Forecast reflect a 7.95 mil levy? If so, what do the out years show? Obviously the Financials are 'certified', the question is spending priority.

Posted · Report post

Is there some primary source document that describes exactly where our property taxes go? All I see from my property details on the county Auditor's site is the total amount owed, paid, and details on two special assessments.

Posted · Report post

Firstly, does the current 5 Year Forecast reflect a 7.95 mil levy? If so, what do the out years show? Obviously the Financials are 'certified', the question is spending priority.

The 5 Year Forecast for State Appropriations that you have referred to on previous threads shows an 8 Mil levy based upon a "guessiment" given to the Treasurer back in June, 2007 when that document was prepared. The County Auditor's guess at that time was higher than the actual once they certified the numbers here in the last couple of weeks on how much each Mil would raise.

So the forecast is "close" as stands right now. As the savings in costs from reconfiguration are factored in, if the State of Ohio somehow effects change in the way they fund schools, or any other changes we might make as a district will all

determine if these new funds take the budget out beyond 2011 (or 3 years).

Keep in mind, with the 2004 levy we planned on it lasting 3 years. It went 4 years

and that was with the State taking back money after the fact in 2005 and flat lining (meaning 0% increases) their portion in FY06, FY07 and FY08. That was with trimming the budget all along the way. The forecast currently reflects no increase in State funds, nor do we anticipate any additional State money.

Posted · Report post

Is there some primary source document that describes exactly where our property taxes go? All I see from my property details on the county Auditor's site is the total amount owed, paid, and details on two special assessments.

UPDATE: Found it with a little help from a friend. It's a link on the property summary that takes you to a different space than the Payments Tab. Odd, but hey, it worked. Thanks.

But now I have a new question: will the entire proposed 7+ mils be a brand new addition to this already sizeable tax bill, or will any portion of be a renewal of my existing "contributions"?

By the way, my annual property tax payments to the school district would more than cover a year's worth of in-parish tuition at St. James of the Valley. I feel like I have an anonymous adopted kid that I'm putting through school in addtion to the two little guys I have at home!

Posted · Report post

P83,

If you go to your individual home SUMMARY, and click on the Taxes Paid BLUE LETTERS it gives you this:

School District

City/Village

Joint Vocational School

County General Fund

County Voted Bond Debt

HLTH/Hospital Care - Drake

HLTH/Hospital Care = Indigent

Mental Health Levy

Mental Retardation

Park District

Crime Information Center

Children Services

Senior Services

Zoological Park

Museum Levy

and how much you pay for each. The school amount is and has always been the largest. However, it is the only one that does not change each year with higher valuations. It only increases when additional funds are voted on, not so with the others (this is because of Ohio law from the 1970's eliminating inflationary growth of property taxes for schools and ONLY schools).

Posted · Report post

I just have to say, I always find it interesting, the talk about whether "the state" should be paying more toward education, or whether we the taxpayers have an unfair burden, etc. As far as I know, "the state" doesn't have any money, does it?? So, if the state takes over the burden, they will have to get that money from somewhere. Is "the state" going to go out and get a job to earn the money, or are they going get it from us, the taxpayers, in the form of higher taxes?? Now, if the state will cut the budget in other areas and funnel that money to the schools, that would be ideal, and maybe that is what is meant by these lines of thinking.

WWkids, I liked your comments about security. The way I see it, security in the district now is nil. I can go over to WWPN right now and wander around at will, no one would know. When its warmer out, they leave both sets of doors propped open at all times! We had a big argument about this at a PTA meeting last year. The PTA offered to buy a camera system or a buzzer so they could LOCK the doors after school starts for the day, but Dr. Spaulding acted as if all of us were crazy for even worrying about such things. The big safety measure is you have to sign in before you go into the building. Well hello, the gun-toting maniac is not going to sign in before he enters! I know its paranoid, but this is an increasingly crazy world we live in! So, if they would like to present some specific safety changes they plan to make with this levy money, I'd like to hear about it.

For now though, I'm a no vote. I'll sign my daughter up for piano lessons and she can play sports in community leagues. As long as they teach the academics, I'll handle the rest!

Posted · Report post

But now I have a new question: will the entire proposed 7+ mils be a brand new addition to this already sizeable tax bill, or will any portion of be a renewal of my existing "contributions"?

The prior dollar amounts voted since the 1950's stay the same. They are permanant levies and none are renewing. "Renewing" levies just allows the governmental entity charge the same voted millage but higher property values at the "time of renewal". Ours stay the same at the same dollar amount and the voted millage actually goes down relative to that dollar amount.

So the simple answer is whatever the 7.95 Mil reflected on your home is added to the school number. Dusty Rhodes will have a click on probably after the first of the year that will show what this will exactly be on everyone's homes.

By the way, my annual property tax payments to the school district would more than cover a year's worth of in-parish tuition at St. James of the Valley.  I feel like I have an anonymous adopted kid that I'm putting through school in addtion to the two little guys I have at home!

I completely understand, but it doesn't come close to the Miami tuition I currently pay and the Baldwin Wallace and OSU tuition before that..and as far as anonymous adopted kids, you have 3,800 of them, we all do.

Posted · Report post

cool.gif I will 100% support the levy. I have my issues with WWCS, but financial mismanagement and irresponsible spending are not among those concerns.

Posted · Report post

cool.gif I will 100% support the levy. I have my issues with WWCS, but financial mismanagement and irresponsible spending are not among those concerns.

I agree neveron. I would like to see a comparison of our school tax burden with that of other districts in the area. Can anyone point me in the right direction for that info?

Posted · Report post

One of the problems I see in raising funds in the WWCS is that the average property valuation/pupil is considerably less than most of the other districts. There are a couple which are even lower but most are higher. Just as a comparison the average valuation/pupil in WWCS is roughly $120,000 whereas in Indian Hill (I know, I know, an extreme example but it is illustrative) the figure is a smidge north of $430,000/pupil. You can find this info in the website in breadandjava's posting earlier.

Regarding the security issue, I know someone is going to get all wacky here but, there were arrests IN schools in two different local schools yesterday. I truthfully don't think that your kids are that fragile that they were terrified when the police arrested the kid in school. I sincerely hope that you are not raising hot house tomatoes.

Posted · Report post

My kid is SIX. She would probably be terrified if she saw someone being arrested in school - I certainly HOPE the police don't come to school and arrest a kid in PK - 2, though - that would do me in I think! I have to say though, I would have been nervous/afraid if I saw the police coming into school to arrest someone. I am no "hothouse tomato" either. I don't think we should sit back and make excuses for a world where a kid who is afraid when the police come to school to arrest someone is a "hothouse tomato".

I do know I've seen in the Enquirer in the past comparisons for what people in different communities pay in property taxes. Not sure if it was school-tax specific or overall, but we were really up there.

Posted · Report post

I would still like to see some improvements made by the school before we just approve a tax increase!

To me there are lots of questions that need answers!

As of right now I see it as a big NO

Posted · Report post

I would still like to see some improvements made by the school before we just approve a tax increase!

Such as, please be specific.

Posted · Report post

Good grief, people. Take a deep breath and relax a bit. I know it's hard to believe but WWW does have a family and is gainfully employed. Further, the vote was taken less than 72 hours ago. The vote is not until March. Can't you give the administration and the board members a break and let them enjoy the holidays without bombarding them with your very specific questions?

Posted · Report post

It's starting again. The old allegiances are showing. People are getting defensive. People are telling other people what to do, how to think. I guess there's no reason I shouldn't join in. But even though this is going to sound funny coming from me, and perhaps hypocritical since I'm going to follow it up w/ some pretty judgmental observations, but believe it or not my real goal here is to suggest we can relax and keep a calm, level-headed dialogue going on this.

GB, your point is silly. How much of a cooling off period is necessary before we're allowed to discuss this? Who are you or anybody to suggest such a thing is appropriate or to dictate its terms? I mean, come on. This is junedale.com for crying out loud. Asking questions and looking for information is what we do here. Besides, WWW is entirely capable of taking care of himself. Sometimes you remind me of the boxer's mother who leapt into the ring and started wailing away with her shoe on the head of the guy who was puttin' a whuppin' on her little boy.

WWW, I thought I saw you starting to get a little tense in your response to Nutt. Understand that you are demanding that a voter to answer to you, or at least that's how many people are going to see it. I'm trying to suggest to you nicely that you're going the wrong way down a one-way street there. That might not feel fair or fun but that's the way it is and that's the way it should be. But you know that already, right?

Neither Nutt nor any other voter has to explain their reasons for thinking or feeling or doing anything. Our thoughts, feelings and beliefs are what they are. We don't need to enunciate them to any degree whatsoever. And in most individual cases, you probably don't really need people to do that anyway. On the contrary, I think you would be very sucessful at figuring out most folks around here just by using your gut, your head, your ability to read people and your best instincts.

My condescending, hypocritical advice to all is to chill, chill, chill. Speak for yourselves, but not for each other.

Let's try to avoid choosing up two sides then going at it., like a football game at recess. Sooner or later that all just starts to feel ugly and dirty, like pure partisan politics or something equally foolish. Let's learn from our mistakes. Perhaps more accurately, learn from my mistakes.

Posted · Report post

Just want the HOW/WHAT details...... PLEASE.

Patience, patience. If there are details, I'm sure you'll get them. If there aren't, you won't. You've made sure your question won't be forgotten. If you are expecting a new, full-blown safety strategy just sitting on the shelf waiting for new funding so it can be implemented, prepare yourself for disappointment. Best guess is that someone may be doing some de-briefs and lessons learned reviews after recent events, and those kind of things take a little time to work through and document. Patience.

Posted · Report post

First let me say this. Child safety is something that this District has always taken very seriously and will continue to take seriously. Are we perfect, no. Is every possible eventuality considered and planned to a gnat's eye brow, not possible. Will knuckleheaded kids do or say something really stupid, count on it. They always have and always will. Because all it takes is one child to get hurt, even when the intent was not there, to injure everyone involved; community, staff, students and parents at some level. Your implications that the District does not take this serious is disappointing.

However, to keep things in a context with your original question:

1) 83% of what we spend we spend on people. Because this levy is for General operating funds, the majority of the money will be spent on salaries(63%) and benefits(20%).

We are bound by contract to teachers for the next two years and will maintain a competitive stance thereafter, as we always have. Excellent people provide excellent educational results, that's our goal. Benefits, or the cost thereof, is always a hot topic. Upward trends, even with changes, are probable.

2)Adding technology (ex. teacher laptops) does not mean that is where we need to be. Our students and staff must computer literate. Technology infrasturucture must be continually maintained. Technology must be implimented to allow the schools to operate and function more efficiently. The outright purchase of equipment is handled in other ways. The additional funds will go to maintaining what we have and in-service training to use it better.

3)Upgrade our safety and security. This is where we part company as you have read this five word statement as if something was wrong, when the intent was to state something that already done and in place. We have hall monitor/security people at the HS, MS. We have cameras in schools and on buses. We dress our kids in uniforms. We have ID's. We provide in-service training and discuss ongoing issues. We provide a safe environment for learning and we will do everything we need to do to continue to do so. That's not fluff, that's a fact.

Please take time to review Pages 31-38 of First FIRE presentation that highlight

how your tax money is spent. That is where these new will funds go.

Click on BODY of First FIRE presentation