Interesting Facts & Figures

137 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

l guess the only way you can feel the pain of larger schools and Greenhills itself is to live in the village.

I have to agree its killed our little village and its time something happens.

I'm on your band wagon P-83!!!!!!

Posted · Report post

Is that really the ratio? Or, does it just feel that way because whites are the minority?

The 2006-2007 breakdown looks like this:

African American - 66.3%

Asian - 1.6%

Hispanic - 4.4%

Multi-Racial - 7.9%

White - 19.7%

But, those numbers changed for the 2007-2008 school year, and will continue to change for the 2008-2009 school year. In the report it states that there are 3749 students, therefore:

African American - 2487

Asian - 60

Hispanic - 165

Multi-Racial - 297

White - 740

Posted · Report post

Sad Very Very Sad !!!!!!!!!!!! sad.gifsad.gifsad.gifsad.gif

Posted · Report post

SCHOOL ENROLLMENT AND TYPE OF SCHOOL ZIP CODE 45218

Population 3 years and over enrolled in school

(Source: 2000 US Census)

Nursery school, preschool................86

Public.............................................38

Kindergarten...................................51

Public.............................................38

Elementary: grade 1 to 4..................301

Public.............................................255

Elementary: grade 5 to 8.................224

Public.............................................164

High school: grade 9 to 12................258

Public................................................206

Population:

Forest Park 17,700 50% African American

Greenhills 3,700 96% White

Springfield Twsp 3,500 95% White

Currently, there are 2,400 African American students in Winton Woods Schools. There were approx. 2,400 African American students in Winton Woods Schools in 1995. You guys can do the math.

In 2000, there were 663 students from 45218 going to public schools. As the populations are similar and for simplicity, let's say there are an equal number in the Township.

663 Greenhills

+663 Springfield Twsp.

1,326 Students from Greenhills and Springfield Twsp.

650 (assuming that a few would go to parochial high schools) Grades 7-12

33 Assumes 5% of these students are African American from Greenhills & SFT

617 95% would be White

Let's assume 1,200 African American students in Grades 7-12 (Approx.)

Now, if you have approx. 1,800 students in Grade 7-12 (1,100 currently at HS, 700 at MS) and you evenly divided them, that would 900 at each building.

Now, if your goals are the following:

 preserving the identity of all three communities

The schools identity reflection of the communities would be WHITE and BLACK.  If that’s your goal, it is achieved.

-- ensuring that students K-6 have the opportunity to remain in close proximity to their homes

Yes, they would, but you would have to reopen a FP elementary to accomplish this.

-- affording people the opportunity to "build community" and strong local schools

I’m not sure how you can measure this.  But the proposed schools would not reflect their communities.  How strong they are is not determined either.

-- ensuring racial balance

There is no way possible.

-- keeping the system manageable

It is very manageable now. 

-- walking when possible (retaining the concept that Greenhills was built on)

Greenhills would walk, while the majority of Forest Park and all of SFT will still ride a bus.

He spent several months gathering detailed information and breaking it down.

Once completed the results were:

-- Greenhills would retain a K-6

-- Springfield Township would retain a K-6

Maybe

-- Forest Park would retain a K-6 (it may have been two K-6, can't remember)

Nope, three

-- Forest Park would have a 7-12

900 students

-- Greenhills would have a 7-12

900 students

Racial ratio at Forest Park would be 60% black and 40% white. Greenhills would be 60% white and 40% black.

Greenhills (I guess we would assume we would call it Greenhills again) 900 Students

60 % 540 students White

40 % 360 students Afr. Amer.

Forest Park – 900 students

60 % 540 students Afr. Amer.

40 % 360 students White

Change the percentage to whatever you wish, 50-50%, 70-30%, 90-10%, it does not matter, you are moving students around. Given that fact, reality:

A ) Is that school a reflection of your community?

B ) Who goes where? Do we divide alphabetically?, Split Winton Rd. East and West? Aren’t we just shipping white kids North of Sharon and black kids South?

C ) Some recent posts suggest that District is too big and unwieldy to manage, we need now a second Board of Education, or something like that. OK?

Now, I might not a former Rhodes Scholar, but if you are segregating children by race to achieve “racial balance”, outside interests (State & Feds) aren’t going to take kindly to that. If you want a second School Board, those same outside interests are going to ask why. What would you say to the State Board of Education? And if your goal is that your school reflects your community, how does “importing” 200-300 black kids from Forest Park fit into that equation (and yes, I know they used to at GHS, how do you think they felt about their community?). And some white kids will have to go to Forest Park, will they be part of their community? Those are your terms, not mine, you brought up race.

So, we have not EVEN talked about costs yet.

One, you have to reopen an Elementary School in Forest Park to accommodate the students there. The former Winton Forest and Waycross can not hold the number of students, for that matter shift them to Beechwoods and Lakeside K-6. The physical limitations of the buildings do not allow it. Yes, I know that’s “Option #4”, it didn’t work, didn’t fit, didn’t save money, and more importantly did not allow any improvement of educational opportunities. And then going back to duplicating costs at five different locations per grade just adds more costs.

Does it cost more or less to send kids to parochial elementary school vs. High School? Why? It costs more. Would it make sense that would be the case in public schools? Logically, yes it is more expensive for Grades 7-12. So, I ask, would operating two Grade 7-12’s cost more (even with same number of students as in one)? Name all of the things that you would have to duplicate? What are you willing to give up educationally (not athletically) to make this affordable? Do you think Math teachers for 7th and 8th graders grow on trees? How about music, art, languages, sciences/labs, Advanced Placement, band, all these things that parents expect (and they should) from their schools, what are going to give up? There has been no accounting for updating the Middle School to a High School standard. And if Mason, or Lakota, or Wyoming has it and we don’t, why would anyone give up their McMansion and move back to a smaller house and less school?

The reality is if it costs X number of dollars to operate public schools in our District as they are now, how is spending even more (much, much more) make sense when the “plan” does not and can not even achieve it’s objective?

If the goal is to effectively educate the children of the three communities, with broad based opportunities for all children, at a cost that the taxpayer can deal with(I didn't say liked), that’s being done now.

Posted · Report post

Lets get down to a simple questions. Do the numbers support "Beachwoods" being only for Greenhill residents, for grades K-6? If yes, why not go back to that structure. It would save money as less kids would need to be bused. Then do the numbers support "Lakeside", being only for Springfield twp. residences, south of the lake? Again, this would save on busing. Just wondering?

Posted · Report post

No, on both counts as far as exclusivity and have not for quite a few years. The fact that those schools each had 30-40+% African American students supports that there was excess space to fill K-6 and there were interdistrict transfers from other schools in the District.

Posted · Report post

WWWarrior posts that "if the goal is to effectively educate children from all 3 communities etc etc that is being done now". I beg to differ. That is exactly the problem. Many in the community, the taxpayers, do not believe that this district is a shadow of what it has been or even could be. You can skew figures and pie charts to say whatever you want but the bottom line remains. I would venture a guess that Warrior does not have a 6 yr old enrolled in Beechwoods. Maybe the prospective would be different. You now have to pick up your child behind the building after school because buses of all sizes and stripes fill the circle and drive. The kids no longer come out of the building with friends and join siblings to make their way home. Also, at the back door are parents, older siblings etc there to pick up children who are hoping that the person who was to pick up a child at the other elementary school bldgs remembered. If you have 2-3 elementary aged children they are likely to be all over the place. I don't think that's a good thing and I am not alone in this. In addition, to feel that your 6-7 yr old is not safe is a terrible feeling. CCCS commissioned the University of Cincinnati to conduct a survey and study of the then proposed merger. The results showed that ,not only were the residents of Greenhills overwhelmingly opposed but Springfield Twp and the residents of Forest Park. Most were quite content with the original configuration. We know the reason behind the plan. A community is to a large extent measured by the schools and this has dealt a blow to our Village but we are still here and the Pioneer Spirit lives. I agree with Christine, P-83 and others. There are alternatives and I, for one, refuse to drink the WWCS kool-aid.

Posted · Report post

Is that really the ratio? Or, does it just feel that way because whites are the minority?

I don't oppose the idea of large high schools and think that they can provide valuable experiences which are not available in small schools. However, the argument about the sports teams is ridiculous! ohmy.gif

I am wrong about the 90% part. "whites" are about 15%, I would say. I know it was once 19%, but lots of people are leaving. It seems like pretty much every classroom has 4 white kids out of 25 kids. There are a few Hispanics and a few biracial kids, but the schools are very overwhelmingly african american.

Posted · Report post

I can say that I know Warrior and he hardly dishes out "koolaid". That's kind of tired phrase anyway...

Posted · Report post

Know Warrior also. Didn't say he dishes out Kool-aid. Think he and a lot of others drink it. I know it's a tired phrase but so is most of what he and WWCS have to say .. How about something new and refreshing? Here's a suggestion..We on the WWCS Board apologize to the parents/citizens of the communities. We and our recent predecessors have made a mess out of a perfectly fine school district.

Posted · Report post

A ) Is that school a reflection of your community?

Did you seriously just write this? blink.gif