Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Let's hear the positive about any WW school

142 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Ah Patchy, finally someone brought up the subject of money!!! I don't know how much it cost to educate a student or how much each teacher makes, compared to other districts. I am so tired of reading statics!!! I don't care about the schools in Indian Hills, Lakota, I care about what is happening in our district!! Where's the money that was saved because of the reconfigeration?? Let's go back a few years--what happened to all the money that was saved each year when the two high schools were united as one?? Sound like a marriage gone bad to me!! That decision hurt the village and the township in propery values and has only gotten worse!! Don't someome tell me that the housing problem is everywhere, I know that!! But, without community schools, it's a big problem. All this money that was saved and the levies that have passed in the past years, we still need more money!! Does anyone remember the principal that was brought in from Florida, along with his girlfriend, who also got a high paying job at the school?? Whose bright idea was that?? After one year, he and his assistant, got a big fat raise, a raise so big (I wish I remembered exactly) that it equaled what a blue collar worker made in a year. He didn't last too long!! A C and carpeting in the offices, a new track, bleachers and concession stand, etc. Looks nice but did we really need it?? How many students would that money have educated? When that adminastration shows they care about how the money is spent that they already get, then I will care!! $2,000.00 of my property taxes goes out for the school a year!! If each home owner in the district pays that amount each, that's a lot of money!!! And most are struggling like I am!! Amen

Grandma, I understand what you see on the surface and maybe some poor decisions were made in the past. I, personally, don't remember the principal from Fl. In any case, I know Warrior has posted this in the past, but the state has greatly reduced ($2-5 million per year) the amount of money that is distributed to each school throughout the state. This is not a cop-out. In fact Gov. Strckland was supposed to be changing all that, but the point is that this is a state issue as well as a community issue. There is no easy answer at this point.

Posted · Report post

My son is NOT IN GTE however he did extremely well and was on the honor roll all year. I was amazed at the knowledge he acquired and his strong desire to excel. The reason for this was obviously due to the dedication of the staff. The skills he obtained in the Technology Class were obviously exciting to him and wonderful for us as parents to see, being from the old school where we didn’t even learn the skill of typing until high school. The language class, Chinese, was also a great addition to the new structure. I could go on and on about the pros within the district. While viewing the comments It appears that many of the negative postings are coming from those that do not have children that attend Winton Woods.

VOTE YES FOR OUR SCHOOLS AND LETS STRIVE FOR UNITY IN THE COMMUNITY!!!

I would like to say that the administration and the teachers had less to do with your child excelling than your child and yourself did with wanting your child to excel. Teachers talk - Children learn because they take time out to learn by doing their homework AND their parents make sure they are doing their homework correctly and understand it.

We've all had our share of teachers who probably shouldn't have been teaching either because they were inadequate mentally, just not a good teacher, or just didn't take the time to be with each student. However, a student can pass that class because of their OWN will to want to succeed.

I loved your post. Keep up the good work with your "Little Professor".

Posted · Report post

BigDog,

I noticed that you kind of "cherry picked" a lot of school in Butler, Warren and Clermont counties. Those counties have historically operate less than schools in Hamilton County to the extent that up until 2006, all schools in Hamilton county got a bump in state funding for just being in Hamilton County.

When I list a comparison, I usually like to compare to those schools that we border as it is a little more fair comparison of costs, student populations, etc.

But the answer to your question is:

1) We are in Hamilton County

2) % of Economic Disadvantaged Students

3) The primary reason, Students with Disabilities and how severe

Same List..........................................% of Students with Disabilities

Winton Woods 11,693 effective.....................17.9%

Edgewood 8,380 effective.............................15.6%

Fairfield 7,882 effective.................................13.6%

Finneytown 10,563 effective..........................13.9%

Forest Hills 9,387 excellent.............................10.9%

Hamilton 9272 cont. Imp.................................16.8%

Kings 9,829 excellent......................................13.4%

Lakota 8,048 excellent.....................................8.6%

Lebanon 7,182 excellent...................................10.6%

Loveland 8,717 excellent...................................10.1%

Mason 9,163 excellent.......................................8.7%

Milford 6,169 excellent.......................................12.5%

Mt. Healthy 10,000 effective(2007 Cont. Imprv)......18.2%

Northwest 8,506 effective.....................................12.3%

Princeton 14,400 Cont. Imp...................................14.8%

I would be guessing, but I doubt that parochial schools have those kinds of percentages, but I am just speculating. Plus, many services offered special needs

students in private schools come through the public school.

WWW - Your the one who says statistics are so relevant. Unfortunately, when the statistics are not in your favor, there are excuses.

"Cherry picked?" - I am geographically handicapped but I do know that Finneytown, Northwest, Mt. Healthy and Fairfield are neighboring school districts. And, incidently they all spend much less than WWSD per student.

WWW - you can do better than cherry picked.

Posted · Report post

Geez BigDog, ease up. I apologize for using some commentary and will stick to answering your question. Which is:

But the answer to your question is:

1) We are in Hamilton County

2) % of Economic Disadvantaged Students

3) The primary reason, Students with Disabilities and how severe

Posted · Report post

You know, I had a feeling that people just couldn't resist to abide my request to refrain from the negative for this ONE thread, since it's open season on every other thread. Can we try to keep to the subject? It's appreciated. Thank you.

Posted · Report post

You can't disqualify the opinions and statements made by parents who have opted not to use the public school system. That is no way to pass a levy. They are telling you why that choice was made. It's a safe bet that those parents made an informed decision before they committed the financial resources needed for a private education.

The quality of public education available in Greenhills has suffered as a result of the consolidation.

The convenience of using public education in GH has suffered as a result of the reconfiguration

Address those issues if you want someone from GH to vote for your levy. Don't tell them how bad it will suck if they vote against it.

Just a little marketing strategy

dry.gif I have grown over time on here to have more respect for those who do not support WWCS, but please don't insult us by throwing the "if you want my vote" comments out there. Those on here who are "anti-WWCS" and are no longer stakeholders will never vote for a levy until such time as their pain threshold is met in the form of dramatically impacted property value declines.

Posted · Report post

Sorry PKM, I just didn't have anything POSITIVE to say!! Just responding to Patch's post!! But after thinking hard about your subject, I came up with a couple of things. The play this year was excellent and I truely enjoyed it. AND after the merger of the two High Schools, we got the best of the best and came up with great basketball and footballs teams!! Oh and the music department is excellent, I supported the choir's trip to China and helped with my donation. huh.gif

Posted · Report post

I still say the blame for everything money wise is the fault of this state's lousy government!! They lie to us, they cheat us, and I really don't believe anything they say. Lets go after them and quit fighting each other after all it is their fault!!!!

Its hard to keep taking money out of ones pocket for mistakes those idiot's made and are still making.

I just can't believe that between state taxes, lottery, gambling, and all the others that there is not enough monies to support schools more!

Sorry I know this is off topic but it had to be said again!! dry.gif

Posted · Report post

Don't tell them how bad it will suck if they vote against it.
will never vote for a levy until such time as their pain threshold is met in the form of dramatically impacted property value declines.

Posted · Report post

Nuttly, Governor Strickland was on one of the WLW radio talk shows yesterday to talk about more money for Ohio's schools. I believe it was Cunningham's show but I didn't listen because he would just talk out of both sides of his mouth!! I agree with you on monies made on the Lottery. I quit playing it but occassionally buy a few scratch offs.!! And, if we have any extra money, not anymore, we take our gambling money to Indiana to The Grand Vic's!! Ohio has really missed THE BOAT on that stupid deal. I'd vote for gambling in Ohio!!! laugh.gif

Posted · Report post

Just staying on topic here. My daughter had a wonderful experience in kindergarten this year at WWPN. Mrs. Bauknecht was terrific despite some of the challenges she had in the classroom!

Posted · Report post

For those parents of students entering the Intermediate School (5th and 6th grades), you will be very pleased to find caring, energetic teachers like Mr. Donald Schutte. My son enjoyed his sense of humor which made learning more fun. I was impressed with the depth and scope of material for a fifth grade math class to cover. Also Mrs. Janet Smith offered tremendous energy and enthusiasm for science class students and challenged their "scientific minds" with a variety of projects, experiments, and assignments.

These are just a few of the many outstanding teachers in our school district. Our community and children are extremely fortunate to have such an abundance of qualified, compassionate, and dedicated educators.

I would hope that the teaching staff of our school district will get the support of our community as they have worked so hard to earn and richly deserve.

Posted · Report post

will never vote for a levy until such time as their pain threshold is met in the form of dramatically impacted property value declines.

that makes sense...scorched earth policy...nice...

Posted · Report post

For those parents of students entering the Intermediate School (5th and 6th grades), you will be very pleased to find caring, energetic teachers like Mr. Donald Schutte. My son enjoyed his sense of humor which made learning more fun. I was impressed with the depth and scope of material for a fifth grade math class to cover. Also Mrs. Janet Smith offered tremendous energy and enthusiasm for science class students and challenged their "scientific minds" with a variety of projects, experiments, and assignments.

These are just a few of the many outstanding teachers in our school district. Our community and children are extremely fortunate to have such an abundance of qualified, compassionate, and dedicated educators.

I would hope that the teaching staff of our school district will get the support of our community as they have worked so hard to earn and richly deserve.

If this is true, why were test scores so low! Why did only one class from sixth to eighth pass the 75% benchmark on the lastes test scores that were in the Thursdays Enquirer?

Just a question.

Posted · Report post

Guess you can't read huh? We were talking about people that had A positvie experience with the schools? Could it be short lived? Maybe...

But again, if you want to dump on the schools, start your own thread, do it on another, whatever...Versteh? Oh, nevermind..... blink.gif

Posted · Report post

Guess you can't read huh? We were talking about people that had A positvie experience with the schools? Could it be short lived? Maybe...

But again, if you want to dump on the schools, start your own thread, do it on another, whatever...Versteh? Oh, nevermind..... blink.gif

Test Results - Touchy subject????

Posted · Report post

I guess all the POSITIVE PEOPLE have already responded!! sad.gif

Posted · Report post

I guess all the POSITIVE PEOPLE have already responded!! sad.gif

not everyone posts here, grandma. my sister had positive experiences with three wwcs schools that her three children attended, but she's never been on junedale and doesn't care to. just not her thing. her friend, also, had positive experiences but chose not to post on junedale after coming here and reading posts about ms. chalmers. she didn't know the whole story, but didn't care for the language used (which, let's admit, was quite dicey sometimes) and decided she wanted no part of it. it's all a matter of perception, i guess. several hundred students go to wwhs alone; very few of their parents peruse this site.

on the other side of things, most private school parents don't post here, either. junedale is a great site, but a lot of people don't know about it and some, frankly, don't care.

sorry, uncle and edge! cool.gif

Posted · Report post

I've already told my son's story. It wasn't the school that threw him off-------it was some of the students. NOW--with that said, I went to private schools all my life(yeah I know). Sent our daughter to one. It was worse than a parent could imagine. She ended up pregnant her junior year, and was literally an outcast. Of course it was our fault as parents for not bringing her up to the proper catholic values. Bullshit. We have lived it both ways. WW has done more for our son's than my own Alma Mater.

Posted · Report post

Test Results - Touchy subject????

Interesting. On another thread you stated that you didn't want statistics....you wanted results! Now you want the statistics. Consistency, my man, consistency. You could use a bit of it.

Oh, and how you do state "results" without statistics?

As a follow-up to Coach's posting....what's the deal with Catholic high schools having maternity uniforms? What kind of values are they teaching anyway? I know, I know, it's all about glorifying those who do not abort their babies. But, where is the value of chastity being taught?

Posted · Report post

Interesting. On another thread you stated that you didn't want statistics....you wanted results! Now you want the statistics. Consistency, my man, consistency. You could use a bit of it.

Oh, and how you do state "results" without statistics?

As a follow-up to Coach's posting....what's the deal with Catholic high schools having maternity uniforms? What kind of values are they teaching anyway? I know, I know, it's all about glorifying those who do not abort their babies. But, where is the value of chastity being taught?

Go Bucks -

You know I don't like statistics because administrators and board members can manipulate them to say whatever they want to say. The last tests point out that the WWSD failed miserably. Now we go to personal attacks when we can't come up with something positive. I would say that only one score above 75% cutoff is failing miserably when your are considering grades 1-8.

Here is a statistic that I know you would not be willing to bet on! If you take all of the Catholic High Schools in Cincinnati, I would bet that WW had more girls pregnant in one year than all of those schools combined. We will never know the answer, but if we could, I would bet a creamy whip vanilla cone on that one.

I really don't think the WW teachers can do anything about a girl getting pregnant just as the Catholic school teachers cannot do anything, so what was your point?

As usual, when you are wrong, you go to the gutter.

Posted · Report post

damn.

now you got me all excited. I have spent the last two years trying to get GoBucks in the gutter to no avail. Show me where so I can enjoy this...

If the point you are trying to make is regarding the recent performance of WWCSD on some tests, post the results. Not too many people are going to just take your word on this. You don't help your credibility when you argue about the relationship between quality education and groundskeeping.

Posted · Report post

smile.gif thank you to whoever finally started something positive...i don't get on often because i think it is silly at the way some of you write...

I am happy with the district...i have one going into the 4th and one into the 10th...both have and are doingvery well...one is in GTE and the other is in honors classes at the high school...i am thrilled with WWES...have nothing but positive to say...the high school has been nothing but positive for my child...we asked him if he would like to change schools and he said no way...so see it's not all bad in the district...i am happy to see how the new prin. will be at the high school but we have no complaints....

as far as the past with greenhills and how wonderful it is well i would like to see a piece of that just in the ordinary days --called neighbors...you see we can blame the schools and teachers, but a lot starts at home and in the neighborhood...it's time to drop the past and move on to the future...if you don't like the district get out and be on your way...one thing i would never do is criticize or act the way some of the above and past writers have acted...life is too short...it takes a village to raise kids...so anyway...no one has PAID me to be positive...i will always be positive about our district...if you have an issue taken to the right person not a computer...we have some of the best teachers in this district...you have to have your children in the schools to know or you truly can't say...yes there are issues just like every other district, but our kids are happy and doing very well....

Posted · Report post

You don't help your credibility when you argue about the relationship between quality education and groundskeeping.

There is a correlation between the two in some ways. It's called - THE WHOLE EXPERIENCE AND CURB APPEAL.

If I drove up on your house and your yard appeared to be in shambles I would hypothesize that the way you live your life and the inside of your house is in shambles.

Either pay attention to everything and make your impression on the nieghborhood a positive one or GET OUT!

They do correlate when it comes to the impression OTHERS see your facility.

Posted · Report post

I would hypothesize that the way you live your life and the inside of your house is in shambles.

that's a reach. do you assume that everyone else thinks the same way you do?