Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Greehnills Council - School District Fallout

135 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

So, WW what is the market value of the white building?

to the people of this village, the value is "PRICELESS"!!!

Posted · Report post

What's the capacity of the white building anyway?

Posted · Report post

"Come on, honesty is what we need."

I think that works for every one. Your tries to make us believe that your interests in the white building as a community center are laughable.

Do you know any body that might be interested in using that building to house a private school?

Didn't that building once house a successful K-12?

Your idea of the WWCSD selling it- to further divide the community- are even more laughable. Mabey in the future as you try to win the race to acdemic excellence you should stay with the plans that don't count on the WWCS helping you out

Posted · Report post

How, exactly, would having the Community Building serve as a Community Building "further divide the community"?

How, exactly, would having a private school anywhere in the Village, whether it was in the old OLR building, in the White Building, or in the secret tunnels running under the commons, "divide the community"?

I don't understand that at all. Please explain.

Posted · Report post

to the people of this village, the value is "PRICELESS"!!!

cool.gif Which WWCS could care less about. Apparently somebody at some point in a position of either influence or necessity turned over the keys of the property to WWCS. According to WWCS they find that their ROI on this property is worth their holding on to. The "priceless" value of that building should have been more of a consideration before it was sold/given away.

If there is a desire to sell that property, and if there is a buyer....it had better be a private investor or a consortium of private investors. The only way that Greenhills as a business entity should be involved is if there are 100% locked in and verifiable numbers in terms of finances to show the taxpayers. The village can't even pay for a bike path or to fix up recreational areas without private donations and volunteer labor.

If taxes go up to buy a building with no concrete plans, strategy and ROI committment, you'll see people leaving Greenhills for a whole new reason. I support the ideas to create more options for Greenhills families, but this would take a lot of justification to get my support.

Posted · Report post

....or in the secret tunnels running under the commons, "divide the community"?

I don't understand that at all. Please explain.

Wasn't this the site of Plummet Mall in the early 80's?

Darth Vader is just mad he got his hand cut off. Darthy boy, please explain. The Herald cubby reporters haven't picked up any new news. So, please explain yourself or you shall be sent off into oblivion.

Posted · Report post

"Come on, honesty is what we need."

I think that works for every one. Your tries to make us believe that your interests in the white building as a community center are laughable.

Do you know any body that might be interested in using that building to house a private school?

Didn't that building once house a successful K-12?

Your idea of the WWCSD selling it- to further divide the community- are even more laughable. Mabey in the future as you try to win the race to acdemic excellence you should stay with the plans that don't count on the WWCS helping you out

My intentions have always been clear. I believe that the Village of Greenhills needs a successful school. If the WWSD cannot provide that, then I do think it is the responsibility of those who believe in this village, Council and Greenhills administration to look at other options. As for ownership of the white building, I would not have any control over that. Would it be nice to see a school there? Sure. Will it ever happen? Probably not.

The point here is, the school district is asking the people for a great deal of money when they own properties which are grossly under-utilized. I think the district owes the tax payers a review of all the buildings before they ask for additional funds. And frankly, instead of blindly defending them you should be asking the same questions.

Posted · Report post

My intentions have always been clear. I believe that the Village of Greenhills needs a successful school. If the WWSD cannot provide that, then I do think it is the responsibility of those who believe in this village, Council and Greenhills administration to look at other options. As for ownership of the white building, I would not have any control over that. Would it be nice to see a school there? Sure. Will it ever happen? Probably not.

The point here is, the school district is asking the people for a great deal of money when they own properties which are grossly under-utilized. I think the district owes the tax payers a review of all the buildings before they ask for additional funds.

cool.gif That is a fair question.....and if their is ever a followup to the recent meeting with Mr. Murrell and the Greenhills Council it should be aggressively asked to have answered.

Posted · Report post

Be careful P-83, he's also gonna try and tell you that HE is your father.

Posted · Report post

The community building has always been a landmark of Greenhills.

It would be nice to see it come back to us!

The usefulness to the village is unbelievable.

Posted · Report post

If taxes go up to buy a building with no concrete plans, strategy and ROI committment, you'll see people leaving Greenhills for a whole new reason.  I support the ideas to create more options for Greenhills families, but this would take a lot of justification to get my support.

I agree with you 100% NOS. I think a strategic plan would be necessary to sell this to many residents, if the village were the purchasers. However, I personally would support a levy to purchase the white building even without a plan. Is that sensible? Probably not, but my belief in the people of Greenhills is so strong that I would not hesitate a minute. I have seen what they can do and I know the passion they have for this village. This would be one of those decisions where I would follow my heart, which is very rare for me.

Posted · Report post

The community building has always been a landmark of Greenhills.

It would be nice to see it come back to us!

The usefulness to the village is unbelievable.

What do you mean "come back to you"? It was never owned by the village. It was, as I understand it, turned over to the school district which became WWCSD.

Posted · Report post

"How, exactly, would having the Community Building serve as a Community Building "further divide the community"?"

the community is divided regarding the schools. WWCSD selling the white building to a potential private school would only divide it further.

"How, exactly, would having a private school anywhere in the Village, whether it was in the old OLR building, in the White Building, or in the secret tunnels running under the commons, "divide the community"?"

Just come out and say it. You want the white building as a site for a new school. Don't state the potential uses this building this building could serve as a community center when every one that has been reading your posts for the last 3 yaers knows that you have a different agenda.

Posted · Report post

I think it's much more likely that the site of a new school, should one come about, would be on the OLR property. I want to see the Community Building used as a Community Building. But if OLR isn't available for a new school, and the Community Building would be available for a new school, and it could still function as a community center with the kinds of educational and recreation programs that we all think would be such a benefit to the Village, would I be okay with that?

Absolutely.

Somehow that would "divide the Community"? No.

But it has no chance of happening. There is absolutely no way the district is going to allow that building to serve as an effective community center. That would be perceived as "giving in" to Greenhills and would be utterly inconsistent with their "divide and conquer" strategy. The district hates us. You think they've spent all this time and money getting rid of community schools and saying that the provincial little concept of Greenhills must die in order for them to succeed, and then they're going to cooperate in any effort that will help foster a sense of community in Greenhills? Not gonna happen. But the Village should still push for it, because it's the right thing to do.

Posted · Report post

What do you mean "come back to you"? It was never owned by the village. It was, as I understand it, turned over to the school district which became WWCSD.

Go Bucko!!!!!!

I know you know everything there is to know, at least in your own perfect mind! tongue.giftongue.giftongue.giftongue.gif

Back in the day I don't care who owned it we were allowed to use it. I played a lot of basketball, we were able to put the batting cage in the gym and hit baseballs. I always felt like it was a part of Greenhills before this school thing happened. WhY

in the world do think it got the name COMMUNITY BUILDING!

Posted · Report post

P-83, he is your father ph34r.gif

post-28-1219766563.jpg

Posted · Report post

This thread was started by NOS to discuss the role, function, and capability of the Greenhills Council and Administration with regard to the challenges facing the Village, particularly with regard to education.

The way to tell what your elected representatives are made of is by watching their response to a call for action from their constituents. When the populace is quiet and sitting on their hands, it's neither fair nor realistic to expect a village council to set strategy, identify the tactics necessary to implement it, and then execute, handling all the issues on their own. They'll just not have the information or the motivation that is necessary to succeed.

Isn't it high time that we, as a community, called our leaders to action on the issue of education in the Village? It’s up to us to make it known to the Mayor, the Council and the Village Manager that we expect action. As much as we need them, they need us even more. Their power comes solely and exclusively through us. If we don't empower them by expressing our ideas, our desires, and our support, they just won't have the political capital necessary to implement real change.

Do we need our Council, and particularly our Mayor right now? More than ever. We need a voice. We need some toughness. We need strong representation of our interests, not whimpering assent to someone else's. We need leadership in a way we have never needed it before. The school district has to change course or neither the district nor the Village are going to make it. We have to find our voice on the issue of education. We can't continue to just go along as an unwilling but silent accomplice to what the district is doing to this town.

Ockie, you’ve got a year and a half left on this term. I don’t know if we can hope to see you take on another one. This may be your last and greatest challenge as an elected official. Please, don't walk away from it.

And to my fellow Pioneers: I know you are generous. I know you are hard-working. I know you are talented. We can respond to a crisis, as we did when we saved our library. We can tackle a project, like reclaiming a park. We can help a neighbor in need. We can create and support wonderful local charities. And we can throw a helluva party.

But do we have what it takes to tackle the big issues? The ones that take persistence, diligence, discipline? The shopping center still pretty much looks like crap. We fought amongst ourselves so much over housing that we had to stop and take a break, and who knows when, how or if we'll ever get that up and running again in a way that will have a long-lasting positive impact on this town. And then, of course, there are the schools. Does anyone really need a history lesson on what that issue has meant to Greenhills? We took it on the chin in the early 90's and we never really got back up, did we?

Well, it seems to me like it's time to see not just what our Council is made of, but to see what we are really made of. Sitting back and waiting for Council or anyone else to save our bacon isn't going to get it done.

So, NOS, I'm not absolutely convinced this Council has what it takes. They might. They might not. But I don't think questions about the Council really get down to the nitty-gritty. Far more critical is the question, "Do the citizens of Greenhills have what it takes?" Seems to me we need to find out the answer to that question, and soon.

Posted · Report post

"I think it's much more likely that the site of a new school, should one come about, would be on the OLR property."

Anyone having the ability to count classrooms can see that building is too small.

"I want to see the Community Building used as a Community Building. But if OLR isn't available for a new school, and the Community Building would be available for a new school, and it could still function as a community center with the kinds of educational and recreation programs that we all think would be such a benefit to the Village, would I be okay with that? Absolutely. "

You just asked yourself a question and answered it.

If the district sold the building back to the village with deed restrictons about use of the property, you would lose this sudden interest.

Posted · Report post

Not true. And it's hardly a "sudden interest". People have been talking about the Community Building forever. Since the district needs money and is sitting on a substantial amount of real estate, it only makes sense that they should consider liquidating some of those non-core assets. Having that building function as a true community center would be its best, highest use. Though the district very probably won't consider this, they should. It's a possible income source, and though it goes against everything they seem to stand for, we keep hoping that someday they'll recognize the truth: that what builds a community also benefits the school system. It ain't complicated.

Posted · Report post

Anyone having the ability to count classrooms can see that building is too small.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't there a K-8 in that building for 50 years?

Posted · Report post

would a K-8 w/ no gym -where the kids play in the parking lot- solve the problems? It didn't in 1992.

Sometimes I just don't believe what I read here.

You call the school board idiots, but have never ran for election.

You think that council might not have what it takes to get through these troubld times, yet you quit your position.

You label someone's comments contemptble, but feel it's all right to throw insults at public officials.

You have all the answers, but have to ask yourself all the questions.

You just can't understand why the school board wouldn't get behind your school configuration plan. Was it the plan or was it you???

Posted · Report post

Darth Vader, You really should check into the true story behind the closing of OLR!! OR, maybe, you do know!!! That school was taken away from the people of Greenhills too!! Screamin, and I'm sure many others who post on here, played on that parking lot and they had gym classes on The Common or, in case of bad weather, in the Community Building. Sure, it would've been nice to have had a gym but noone suffered because of the lack of one!!! The Greenhills community lost yet another wonderful school!!! mad.gif

Posted · Report post

would a K-8 w/ no gym -where the kids play in the parking lot- solve the problems? It didn't in 1992.

Sometimes I just don't believe what I read here.

You call the school board idiots, but have never ran for election.

You think that council might not have what it takes to get through these troubld times, yet you quit your position.

You label someone's comments contemptble, but feel it's all right to throw insults at public officials.

You have all the answers, but have to ask yourself all the questions.

You just can't understand why the school board wouldn't get behind your school configuration plan. Was it the plan or was it you???

You ask some questions that you, or the general public, will never know the answers to. But, those of who know P-83 also know that he will always do what's best for Greenhills.

The village and the community will always come before his needs. He will always fight for injustice, and he will always seek the truth. He will fight loudly and he will fight strong. He does not care what others think of him because the "message" will always be more important than whether, or not, someone likes him. He has chosen this route because we need people like him, and he knows that. He will always be the one to step up and take the heat. He can choose to play games and be sensitive, but he elects to be direct, upfront and honest.

With P-83 you will always get honesty and you will always know where you stand, whether you like it, or not. There is no fluff, there is no glitter. You will walk away from him believing that he is the biggest "ass", which he is, but that doesn't bother him because he knows someone needs to stand up for the little guy. He will always take the heat and he will always jump into the frying pan if the cause is worthy. He is a pain in my neck, but he is intelligent, he is smart, he has passion, he has vision and he knows the difference between right and wrong. If he believes you are stupid, he will let you know. If he believes you are an idiot, he will let you know. What you see, is what you get and he makes no excuses for it. Sometimes I wish he would tone it down, but then he would not be P-83.

Love him, hate him, it just doesn't matter. He makes me nuts, he makes me crazy, but I can't think of anyone better to have on my side.

Posted · Report post

P83 FOR MAYOR !

Posted · Report post

Love him, hate him, it just doesn't matter. He makes me nuts, he makes me crazy, but I can't think of anyone better to have on my side.

You mean to have on OUR side.