Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Incident on WW#6 bus, need your help

14 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

My son rides WW bus #6 to SJV. yesterday (NOV 5) he called me from home crying. He had just got off the bus and ran in the house to call me. Apparently, the bus driver was teasing my son about McCain losing the race. he sits in the front row next to a girl named Hannah? I called the bus company and the tape was rewinding when the incident occured, so...no proof. I would love to give outmore specifics about the teasing but am reluctant as I dont want to influence any child's account of the matter.

If anyone has heard from their kids about this incident please let me know. I can't put my kids back on this bus while she is driving. Or if anyone has any idea who Hannah is, please let me know. I confirmed it with one child this morning but I need more information.

I know the bus company is working on it, but with no proof I am afraid they will not be able to do anything.

It is a day later now and I am still very upset by this behavior. I know my son isn't an angel but to be teased by an adult crosses the line and now Mom is PO'd

Thanks for you help

Posted · Report post

Politics and a job like this should not mix and especially teasing a child about your candidate winning. That is 100% bull$#!t !!!

Posted · Report post

You are absolutely right! Follow this one to the end. How do you feel about telling the driver yourself that you didn't appreciate her actions? Sometimes that can be more effective than anything else.

We also need to be aware that there are teachers' unions in other parts of the country, which could impact us here as well, who are trying to get the "right" to where campaign paraphernalia and post campaign posters, etc. for the candidate they support in the classroom. Something about "free speech" blah, blah, blah. We need to be on guard.

Posted · Report post

Well you will not have to worry about it now since there will be no busing for your child. That bus driver will probably be laid off along with 16 others working people who work / live in Hamilton County and now will be getting unemployment, so in the end we pay any way.

Posted · Report post

Am I correct, this was a private bus company?

You referred to as WW#6 but then indicated that you called the "bus company".

Posted · Report post

Am I correct, this was a private bus company?

You referred to as WW#6 but then indicated that you called the "bus company".

WWW, this is a Winton Woods bus.

We had to catch the bus over at the middle school last week and she almost didn't let the No-man on because she didn't know him. Today at the stop, she almost didn't stop (not a fault of hers as we never use it) but we had our original paper stating what bus and at what stop ect... We didn't experience first hand what was accused but to get Mom's kid to be that upset, it's very much something.

Posted · Report post

Mom- Please let all of us know what the outcome of this is. While my little one wasn't on the bus yesterday, she normally is. It would be different if she talked about her excitement of the new president instead of celebrating McCain's loss. I feel the same way that if this is the judgement of the driver I won't leave my child in her care and my daughter will just have to go back to be a car rider. I know that there was a different driver today. I'm just wondering if this is a permanent change or just til this incident blows over.

Posted · Report post

Boy Screamin, It's a good thing this bus driver didn't pull this on The No-Man!! More than anybody, I know how he likes TO ARGUE and always wants the last words. This young man learned a lot about elections, debates, the senators running for office, voting, etc. in the last year. Screamin and I watched this election very closely and I'm sure The No-Man could have a great debate with her. Might have had her in tears!! I am so sorry this had to happen Mom, hope it all works out for you and your son!!!! mad.gif

Posted · Report post

cool.gif My 12 year old was challenged like this at of all places his comfirmation class at church on Tuesday night. Our pastor asked who the students (12 and 13 year olds) wanted to win, and my son was the only one who answered Obama. The room went silent, and comments were made such as "but he's a terrorist" and "he's not a real Christian". We're Lutheran, and my son replied that people in the Reformation said the same thing about Martin Luther. Our pastor told me later that he was very impressed at how he defended his beliefs. So was I.

GCJ - We should have the "No-Man" and NOSJr debate on Waycross!

Posted · Report post

UPdate on this issue:

I called WW transportation department this morning and apparently the tape was recording and they were able to see her treatment of my child. She was taken off of that bus route indefinetly pending further outcome and investigation into the situation. I also got a ton a support from Mrs. Rosemond at SJV. Apparently quite a few people have called and complained about the situation to WW Transportaion and this has helped in determining how they will deal with the situation.

Thanks for all your support in the matter.

Posted · Report post

This is really a shame. Adults should be professional and respectful. Especially when dealing with other people's kids. Why did she target your kid - was he talking about politics, or was it just because he is white? I have a problem understanding why someone would do that to a kid when they are supposed to be the mature one. It is a good lesson for your kid because sooner or later he had to know there are jerks out there. I hope this person gets fired.

Posted · Report post

If I may, they had a pollitical sign in their yard, which just happens to be by or at the bus stop on the main route.

Posted · Report post

The family has every right to have a political sign in the yard. The bus driver could have said "how exciting is it to have our next president elected." If she felt inclined to talk to the children about the election. But to gloat that someone a child, or the child's family wanted to win lost is terrible. You know that your picking up from a Catholic school. You know most families there are pro-life. As an Obama supporter I hope she knows her canidates thoughts on the issue. As you stated you see the McCain signs in the yards of the children your dropping off. So why gloat? If you feel the need to celebrate your canidate there are more appropriate ways. But it's not a bus drivers job to tease our children for their views. And it is also not her job to debate children about who and why they support someone.

Posted · Report post

Update #2

Our bus stops at our house as we live on the corner of the bus stop and we are the only kids at the bus stop, so she just stops at the house. We did have a McCain sign in the yard and I have a McCain sign on my car but I think the whole thing started as a topic of discussion between the kids regarding a school project. They were doing a school project as a group making campaign slogans. The kids were talking about it on the bus and she got involved then. That was early last week and she commented on it then. They were not talking to her, she just butted in.

Anyway, to make a long story short. I just got a call from the bus company and I was told it was taken care of. Of course, she cant tell me specifics as that is private but I trust that it was taken care of.

Thanks again for all your support!