Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Private School Kids Public School Busses

12 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Here is a link to a WLWT report that I worked on that asks the question, "Should private school parents pay for their kids to ride the bus?"

Free Ride?

I was honestly surprised to find plenty of people out there who think that they should!

Be sure to read the angry comments in the comments section! Good stuff.

Posted · Report post

They pay the same taxes as the folks utilizing the public schools, so the kids get to ride the bus.

Simple. And if they can't ride the bus, then the parents should get the money that they throw into the public schools back.

Posted · Report post

cool.gif What I would like to see would be school districts get out of the busing business altogether and make it an ala-carte offering. There is no state law that requires it, and its no longer affordable from a budgetary perspective. Just like the Metro, sell bus passes. No tax reduction, sorry, need the money for education. Charge by the zone and the frequency.

Obvious downside, and why it won't happen...bus service makes for a great leverage tool when running a levy.

Posted · Report post

I've driven my kid to school for the past 6 1/2 years. My time, wear on my car and gas money. Tried the WW buses two years ago for the first time due to a work conflict--she lasted 1/2 of the year. That was a bus to private school with only private school students on board. Worst decision I ever made. So I keep driving and driving....you do what you have to.

BTW- in Wyoming, if you want your kid on the bus, or need busing due to you schedule--you cough up the price.

Posted · Report post

cool.gif What I would like to see would be school districts get out of the busing business altogether and make it an ala-carte offering. There is no state law that requires it, and its no longer affordable from a budgetary perspective. Just like the Metro, sell bus passes. No tax reduction, sorry, need the money for education. Charge by the zone and the frequency.

Obvious downside, and why it won't happen...bus service makes for a great leverage tool when running a levy.

Thats not an entirely bad idea. I liked your point about the levy - ha ha!! The only thing that I wonder about is, how many kids would just not make it to school? I guess the parents would have to face truant officers, so that would be their problem.

Posted · Report post

Ok I.K. I was thinking of you when I saw the initial commercial for this news segment. I had an idea that you logged into Junedale and took a story from this site. Very Cool !! wink.gif

Hope you didn't have a hand in the dryer vent story. dry.gif BTW, if you don't clean out your dryer vent hose, and or lint trap at all, you triple the risk of a fire. I urge all of you to take the hose off the back of your dryer and vaccuum the inside of the dryer and inside the hose at least once a year. Especially if you have dogs/cats and never ever leave the house when your dryer is on !!

Posted · Report post

Actually, Screamin' I was involved in the Dryer Fire story

I thought it was interesting how companies were installing new dryers and ignoring the warning on the back of every dryer that sauys DO NOT USE FLEXIBLE PLASTIC OR FOIL HOSE TO VENT THE DRYER. THIS CAN RESULT IN FIRE OR DEATH. Several retailers are named in a lawsuit because they didn't heed these warnings and fire happened in peoples homes.

On the School Bus story, I didn't come up with this idea at all. I was actually wondering why this was even considered for a story. In MY mind, parents who send their kids to private schools are SAVING the school districts money. I found out later, in an interview with the Cincinnati Public School District's Director of Operations, that much (not all) of your tax dollars follows your child to the school they attend, that busing to private schools is required by the state of Ohio (all students shall be treated equally regardless of where they attend), the overall cost of transporting students to private schools is a small fraction of the district's transportation budget (in CPS's case, it's $2.2mil out of $26mil), and the general thinking is that having one busing system in place creates economies of scale that would not be possible if every school had to operate their own bus operation.

Posted · Report post

In MY mind, parents who send their kids to private schools are SAVING the school districts money. I found out later, in an interview with the Cincinnati Public School District's Director of Operations, that much (not all) of your tax dollars follows your child to the school they attend

That's not true. One lump sum follows every student and that's approx. $624. The private schools get that money for every child who actually attends the school. The public schools get all the tax dollars from every tax payer, whether they have children, or not.

Posted · Report post

This is from the Ohio Department of Education Website

These nonpublic (private) schools comply with the Operating Standards for Ohio’s Schools (Ohio Administrative Code 3301-35-12). These schools are not supported by tax dollars, therefore tuition is required. Chartered nonpublic schools do qualify for transportation, auxiliary services and administrative cost reimbursement.

Posted · Report post

Every kid should be entitled to transportation to school within a resonable distance ( whatever that is). Private school kids only use a fraction of the tax dollar to begin with, why punish them?

Posted · Report post

There is no state law that requires it,

my understanding is that transportation must be provided to students that live over 2 miles from the school. I believe this only applies to certain grade levels.

Back in the day, at lakeside elementary, the principal wanted 100% of the students to arrive via the school bus. Even the families that lived right across the street from the school (on Corbett) had to have their kids waiting by the curb to be picked up.

Posted · Report post

It used to be that the standard to qualify for busing to private schools was that the school had to be within a 30 minute driving range of the closest border of the public school district. If that has changed, please correct me. You can see what that potentially means for a district like Lakota with a huge border. They conceivably are on the hook for schools anywhere from Norwood to Dayton, Lebanon to Oxford.