Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

SJV 5th/6th Grade Boys Basketball:

41 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Yes, you're right of course. And I believe my pre-game act with the kids is pretty cool and matter-of-fact. But, even though I'm not allowed to show that anxiety to the kids, I enjoy the pre-game tension now, just as I looked forward to it as a player. It is fun to talk about it and let it build out here among the fellas.

How many coaches are out here on Junedale anyway? You, Coach, BeerBob, NOS, Screamin'.... Who else?

DHUE, you ever done it?

Coaching basketball is such a blast. I love coaching baseball, too. But the best part about coaching baseball is the practices, and the best part about coaching basketball is the games. At least that's my view.

Coaching baseball is about drilling military precision. But basketball is much more fluid, there's so much more data for the players to process. It's about getting them to see, understand, react. It's about helping them learn to think. It's fun, even for a hack like me. I expect for coaches that are really skilled at it, it must be about the most fun thing in the world.

Posted · Report post

P-83 Posted on Jan 23 2009, 03:27 PM

How many coaches are out here on Junedale anyway? You, Coach, BeerBob, NOS, Screamin'.... Who else?

DHUE, you ever done it?

P, your analogy to military training is spot on. Drill them so they can do it in their sleep, blindfolded, with distractions all around. That's the key, drill, drill and more drill. The hard part is to make it fun so they don't give up on it before they gain the prowess that allows the real fun to begin.

It's hard (if not impossible) to teach instincts, and that's what roundball amounts to. A feel for the game as it develops is hard to find in kids that age, but if you do find it, it will become second nature, as the other kids will feed off the instinctive one's energy. I've seen it happen more than once.

A good leader is one whose eyes and demeanor never betray the terror within.

Posted · Report post

A good leader is one whose eyes and demeanor never betray the terror within.

Outstanding!

Posted · Report post

Last Friday's game was a battle. We didn't score as many as the other team, but it was good basketball and hotly contested.

Once again we got in a big hole and dug out of it, but a couple of defensive lapses in the fourth quarter made the difference.

Two games at St. James tonight: 3rd/4th grade at 6:00, 5th/6th grade at 7:00.

You've been cooped up in the house due to weather. But the roads are clear and you deserve a night out. C'mon down for some good wholesome family fun. The 5th/6th grade team is going up against St. Vivians.

Posted · Report post

P83, Are you for sure the two games at. James will stll be played tonite??? With school being cancelled again, I can't believe they would heat up the building for a game. I had planned on coming but I ventured out last night and that was enough for me. See ya all again after the big thaw!!! LOL laugh.gif

Posted · Report post

P83, Are you for sure the two games at. James will stll be played tonite??? With school being cancelled again, I can't believe they would heat up the building for a game. I had planned on coming but I ventured out last night and that was enough for me. See ya all again after the big thaw!!! LOL laugh.gif

Yes. I am sure. The games will be played as scheduled.

Posted · Report post

Another one tonight, 7 p.m. at SJV.

Jed, it was very cool of you to pop in last week. I appreciated that very much.

As a result of some of the thinking, reading and praying I did related to some posts on another thread, the tone of our practices changed a bit this week -- particularly Wednesday -- and I think that if I can maintain that it will pay off soon. And having a third practice per week, which we couldn't do the first half of the season, is going to help, too.

I'm not making any predictions, but I can see that the boys are playing a better brand of basketball now than there were before. It may be that, due to 6 consecutive losses, they no longer believe they can win on the scoreboard. But if play the game the way they've been practicing, with a sense of fun and mindfulness that is improving all the time, well, they may surprise themselves.

Posted · Report post

Kudos to P-83's boys. This Friday night the boys brought home a 30-23 victory over Our Lady of the new combinded schools (forget their name). The added practice is helping and the kids seem to be more relaxed and are having fun. Great news P-83.

Posted · Report post

The lads did get a win last week. The game was closer than it should have been; our defense is still suspect. But they passed the ball well and played as a team. Eight of our eleven players scored -- a significant achievement.

We have a nice test tonight against Bethany. (I told the kids, mistakenly, it was someone else.) Bethany beat us in a close one at their place. They have one really strong player who makes things happen and a little bit of size in the rest of the line-up. If we out rebound them, we should have a good night.

We play again Saturday evening at Landmark.

We had a good, but not great, week of practice. The boys are really developing a sense of confidence and seeing opportunities much more clearly than they were early in the season. In spite of last week's game performance, I'm a bit concerned that they're only seeing opportunities for themselves and still not recognizing passing and assist chances as well as I'd like.

Live and learn. Onward and forward.

Posted · Report post

A breakthrough.

Several of the kids found out tonight how much fun it can be to play smothering full court man to man D, and that pushing people around in the paint is more fun than standing back and watching. We lost, but we learned. I'm looking forward to tomorrow.

Posted · Report post

Well, we'll see if that defensive intensity can be dialed up again, because the best 6th grade player I have ever seen is coming to our gym tonight.

If you're a basketball fan, this kid is worth coming out to watch. And the vigor with which our kids will try to get up in his grill should be entertaining as well.

Tip-off is at 7:00.

Posted · Report post

I totally agree with you P-83. The thing I think about is what High School this kid is going to go to. It'll be fun to watch his progress over the next few years and track him thru the news. The kid can do it all.

I think the results for this game will be way better than the last game. I HAVE FAITH !!!

Posted · Report post

Screamin', talk to your lad about how much fun it can be to be focused on playing shut-down, all you've got, don't let 'em breathe defense, because I may be sending him after the big fella.

Posted · Report post

Screamin', talk to your lad about how much fun it can be to be focused on playing shut-down, all you've got, don't let 'em breathe defense, because I may be sending him after the big fella.

I'll work with him before the game and drill him on the importance. But two things mentioned I'm not sure about. Talking (which he can do), Focus........ um....... dry.gif

Posted · Report post

What was that about faith?

He can do it. I know he can.

Posted · Report post

ohmy.gif Screamin - flopping is a learned skill. Have him watch some vintage video of Kenyon Martin and Corey Blount!