Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

School levy- what is truly at stake

441 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Folks,

We have passed the critical point and have progressed to a point of reckoning for our school district. Please pay special attention to the magnitude of program cuts that are a few short months away from happening UNLESS we work to prevent this sad condition. The involvement of our community is imperative! Please alert everyone you know! The severity is great and will have lasting negative impact for our children. Not to mention how quickly your home value will further plummet.

If the levy passes on August 4, we will be able to maintain our current programs and services.

If the levy fails on August 4, we will:

• eliminate all K-8 sports and extra-curricular activities, including those at the middle school.

• close all elementary and middle school buildings, the Community Building, and any surrounding grounds and playfields by 4:30 pm. With virtually no maintenance budget and all night custodians cut, we are not equipped to handle any additional wear and tear on our facilities.

• cut additional staff. We have already cut over 10% of our staff since the last levy.

If the levy does not pass by November 2009, we will:

• lose ALL K-12 sports and extracurricular activities, including those at the high school.

• increase middle and high school class sizes dramatically.

• lose all enrichment programs at Winton Woods Elementary and Intermediate Schools (e.g. GTE/GATE, Science Lab, Band, Orchestra, etc.)

• cut busing to state minimums (2 miles or more from home to school)

• cut additional staff including administrators, teachers, student services, security, clerical, and other support personnel. Every classification will be affected negatively.

This information is directly from Dr. Nasbe and she does not "sugar coat" the situation-

You can make the difference and strengthen your community by supporting our local public schools.

Posted · Report post

I have heard the same.

Posted · Report post

Well, at least folks know what is on the table.

This levy is going to be won or lost based on the PARENTS. Without disrespecting them, they need to step up to the plate and not expect someone else to do their fighting for them.

And yes, I am calling the good folks that live in Forest Park out on this one. They need to support the programs that their children take part in. Voter turnout doesn't lie. FP has more people, but they get outvoted.

Posted · Report post

Close all elementary and middle school buildings, the Community Building, and any surrounding grounds and playfields by 4:30 pm. With virtually no maintenance budget and all night custodians cut, we are not equipped to handle any additional wear and tear on our facilities.

ohmy.gif This alone could have a tremendous impact on youth soccer and baseball programs throughout Forest Park, Greenhills and Springfield Township.

Posted · Report post

Yes. Some would argue that they should have played the "sports card" a lot earlier than they did.

Now it is on the table, face up.

Sports are not mandated by the state. Plain and simple. Although I can make the case that they are sooooo linked to academic success. Doesn't matter.

But you would have thought bussing would have motivated folks.

We can't take this next vote for granted.

Posted · Report post

Some people may want to vote for the levy but just financially cant. This is a true fact.

Posted · Report post

No question bobalu. No question about that. In any election, you have about 1/3 of the folks that really can't afford it, and they make up about 1/2 of your no voters.

The cost might be higher if we cut everything back to the bare bones.

We'll see what happens.

Posted · Report post

Yes. Some would argue that they should have played the "sports card" a lot earlier than they did.

Now it is on the table, face up.

Sports are not mandated by the state. Plain and simple. Although I can make the case that they are sooooo linked to academic success. Doesn't matter.

But you would have thought bussing would have motivated folks.

We can't take this next vote for granted.

cool.gif No, my inference is in regard to the school property that makes up the baseball fields at Helwig, the Community Center and the middle school that is used by the Greenhills baseball organization. If as this reads those "surrounding grounds and playfields" are unavailable after 4:30 pm that creates a huge issue for our youth baseball program.

Posted · Report post

cool.gif No, my inference is in regard to the school property that makes up the baseball fields at Helwig, the Community Center and the middle school that is used by the Greenhills baseball organization. If as this reads those "surrounding grounds and playfields" are unavailable after 4:30 pm that creates a huge issue for our youth baseball program.

Bullshit. Folks, this is the district holding you for ransom. The costs they incur for the use of those fields is mowing them, every once in a while. The incremental cost increase for making them available after 4:30 p.m. is $0. Those fields are maintained by volunteers. The Greenhills Winton Sports Association has quite literally put thousands of dollars worth of improvements into WWCSD property. They don't want to mow them anymore? Fine. We'll do it. But now they want to kick everybody off of publicly owned property after 4:30? That's an attempted power play through and through. Make no mistake about it, there is no difference between property owned by the District and property owned by the City of Forest Park or the Village of Greenhills. School districts, just like cities, towns and villages are "municipalities" under the law. Can you imagine the Village of Greenhills saying, "No more T-ball at Palma Park unless the people of Greenhills vote "yes" on an income tax levy that has nothing whatsoever to do with the operation of Palma Park"? If the District really is making this threat they are doing nothing more than taking their ball and going home until and unless you kowtow to their demands.

For the life of me I couldn't come up with a better example of a government entity, supposedly a body that is supposed to represent your interests, saying to you, "See it our way, or we'll screw you every way we possibly can."

To hell with that. We've got more greenspace than any community in the region. I'll build a diamond on the damned commons before I'll be strong-armed by a bunch of incompetent idiots.

This is an example of people who can't succeed threatening to destroy what others have accomplished, and doing so out of jealousy and spite. Are you going to put up with it?

Posted · Report post

A money saving proposal for the school board:

You have identified that there are cost associated with the maintenance and upkeep of the athletic fields. We the good people of Greenhills would like to help relieve some of that burden by purchasing the land behind the community building back from you for an amount not to exceed 10 times your original investment.

We will be good stewards of the property and make you proud of your decision.

P.S. If the land behind the middle school is available we would like to discuss that as well

Hadley out

Posted · Report post

I think your reference to the price deals with the urban legend that the district obtained that property for $1. So let's be clear and say that we'll take that onerous maintenance burden off of their hands for an amount not to exceed $10. We're here to help.

Posted · Report post

and any surrounding grounds and playfields by 4:30 pm

I have to admit that this stinks of extortion.

This kind of talk will definitely make me vote against ANYTHING.

Retract or fail....Thuggery will inevitably produce voter backlash. dry.gif

Posted · Report post

The WWSD could give/sell the Community Building back to the community it was built for. That would relieve them of some cost. If the school really needs use of some of the classrooms, the village could rent some back to them.

Posted · Report post

that strategy is obviously aimed at the GH/ST voters.

insanity is defined as doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

"vote for the levy, because it will really suck if you don't"

I think that startegy qualifies as insanity.

Posted · Report post

The costs they incur for the use of those fields is mowing them, every once in a while. The incremental cost increase for making them available after 4:30 p.m. is $0.

Agreed. My daughter's softball team played at Beechwoods/WWPN last night. Who dragged the field before the game? Her coach. How many WWCS employees were there at 6:30 p.m. to assist before/during/after the game? 0.

This kind of tactic won't work with most folks.

Also, this is a fine example of insanity in my book - asking for a special election for an increase in property taxes a mere 35 days after property taxes are due. Yeah, that's gonna be successful. blink.gif

Posted · Report post

that strategy is obviously aimed at the GH/ST voters.

I'm fairly certain that FP has a very large baseball and football association so this would effect those folks too.

I cannot believe that not one single person thus far has even mentioned what the poor kids in that district will be losing. Every single person on this site thus far is only concerned about having to find a new field to play baseball. Unbelievable. You know, I have defended the general population of Greenhills on numerous occasions against outsiders who would say we were stuck up, snooty, complainers, petrified of change, etc., etc. But to be honest, I'm not sure I can do that anymore. While I'm not saying that this school district levy stuff isn't horrible, I am disappointed in the reactions of some. It's almost like Greenhills is just a big clique, and if you don't think like them, you're out. I actually had one African American friend tell me that he looked into buying a house in Greenhills and spoke with several residents. He told me he never felt discrimination the way he felt it there. He ended up buying a very nice, pricey house elsewhere. He makes a very lucrative six figure salary and is an upstanding citizen...would have made a nice edition to a neighborhood as he would actually take care of his house and yard, which is more than we can say for the growing population of the village. And guess what? The school district was not a factor for not moving here...in fact, he felt the district held promise and would have done right by his 2 children. His decision was 100% based on the reception he received. Sad.

Posted · Report post

Why is always the strong arm tactics.

Equalizer does more to hurt the levy than help but at least he/her is very consistent!

Posted · Report post

I'm fairly certain that FP has a very large baseball and football association so this would effect those folks too.

I cannot believe that not one single person thus far has even mentioned what the poor kids in that district will be losing. Every single person on this site thus far is only concerned about having to find a new field to play baseball. Unbelievable. You know, I have defended the general population of Greenhills on numerous occasions against outsiders who would say we were stuck up, snooty, complainers, petrified of change, etc., etc. But to be honest, I'm not sure I can do that anymore. While I'm not saying that this school district levy stuff isn't horrible, I am disappointed in the reactions of some. It's almost like Greenhills is just a big clique, and if you don't think like them, you're out. I actually had one African American friend tell me that he looked into buying a house in Greenhills and spoke with several residents. He told me he never felt discrimination the way he felt it there. He ended up buying a very nice, pricey house elsewhere. He makes a very lucrative six figure salary and is an upstanding citizen...would have made a nice edition to a neighborhood as he would actually take care of his house and yard, which is more than we can say for the growing population of the village. And guess what? The school district was not a factor for not moving here...in fact, he felt the district held promise and would have done right by his 2 children. His decision was 100% based on the reception he received. Sad.

FP's youth sports programs play on city owned properties like Central Park and Kanter Park, not on school owned properties. This would not affect their youth sports nearly as much, if at all.

Nothing else in your post deserves to be dignified with a response.

Posted · Report post

Paula posted the true facts about what will happen if this levy fails. These cuts will happen. This school district has no choice and no alternative. The children will suffer and the reputation of this community will also suffer.

The tone and temper of the posts in response are nothing short of embarassing. The louder the shouts, the more profane and sarcastic the comments, the shrillness of the attacks say much more about the speakers than the real issues before us.

If you disagree with the levy, fine, that's your right. But I think you are doing more harm than good to this community.

Posted · Report post

Paula posted the true facts about what will happen if this levy fails. These cuts will happen. This school district has no choice and no alternative. The children will suffer and the reputation of this community will also suffer.

The tone and temper of the posts in response are nothing short of embarassing. The louder the shouts, the more profane and sarcastic the comments, the shrillness of the attacks say much more about the speakers than the real issues before us.

If you disagree with the levy, fine, that's your right. But I think you are doing more harm than good to this community.

Fine. Then deal with "the real issue before us".

And whether or not the kids can play ball after 4:30 on fields that are maintained and financially subsidized by community volunteers is not "the real issue."

Restricting access to those fields will not save the District one red cent. Threatening to restrict access to those fields is going to lose them more votes than it gains. It will also cause a huge uproar and distract your audience so they are less likely to hear the message you want to deliver on "the real issue before us." It's a dumb, dumb tactic. As usual.

Posted · Report post

And so it begins?

I'll not do any more posting on this matter.

I'll just say that when I read what the supporters have to say its embarassing to the whole village!

THE NO VOTE IS THE RIGHT VOTE !!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted · Report post

"I actually had one African American friend tell me that he looked into buying a house in Greenhills and spoke with several residents. He told me he never felt discrimination the way he felt it there. "

Really? Until recent years Greenhills was very white. However, there are many families of color now and more moving in. On my street there are several families of color and I must say they have been good neighbors.

It is nice to see the neighborhood being diverse.

As for the school board threatening us again. It is getting old. So we have to cut back to minimum requirements on bussing. So we have to eliminate grade school athletics. So we need to increase class size. I see no problem with any of that.

Bussing would not be as big an issue if we have our neighbporhood elemetary schools. Kids could walk down the street to their school.

No athletics in grade school. Ok, some people will be upset. But how about creating community programs for kids. Greenhills does have sports programs for kids. We also have a bowling alley, tennis courts, basketball courts, swimming pool the parcouse at Winton Woods, the Frisbee golf at Winton Woods, Parkys Farm programs, the lake, boating, walking, horseback riding, soccer leagues, .....

There are actually lots of activities for kids around here. Elementary grade athletics I see as a luxury. Parents could actually spend time with their kids and take them to these activities.

Posted · Report post

St. Gabriel - 771-5220

John Paul II - 521-0860

St. James - 821-9054

Roger Bacon - 641-1300

St. Xavier - 761-7600

McAuley - 681-1860

"Values and education that last a lifetime".

Life is not a trial run, your kids only get one chance to get an education. Make sure you do it right. Threats and idle promises do not bode well for the upcoming levy.

If tuition is a problem, call President Obama. He is giving YOUR money to everyone else.

Posted · Report post

paula, equalizer...

don't bother. it makes no difference what the district plans to do, when they announce the cuts in the wake of defeated levies, they are called thugs, idots, and extorters. if someone presents an experience which does not place gh in the center of all that is shining and good, they are told that it is beneath the dignity of this community to even respond.

i don't know the whys and wherefores of the decisions, but i always wonder, with any district, why bare bones, minimum is considered good enough for our children.

Posted · Report post

Nothing else in your post deserves to be dignified with a response.

Only when the true magnitude of a problem is acknowledged can its solutions be identified and implemented.